Combat Patrol 500 point list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-10, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

The Thunder of KayVaan's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Combat Patrol 500 point list

Right i'm just going to clear up any confusion that any of you may have. We're (my club and me) are playing combat patrol (so only NEED one troop choice) but we are playing it at 500 points.

Anyway, onto the list.

Librarain: 115
Plasma Pistol
The Avenger
Null Zone

Tactical Squad: 200
Multi-melta
Meltagun
Powerfist

Rhino: 35
N/A

Vanguard Veteran Squad: 150
Two power weapons
Sgt power weapon

Thoughts and critism welcome!

Index Astartes: The Forgotten Hunters
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums ...ad.php?t=75470
"Don't forget to check your teabag for pockets of coffee"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-10, 04:27 PM

Lord Pestilice's Flag is: USA

The plasma pistol is expensive and I dont recommend it.
Unless you expect ALOT of vehicles, I would suggest changing the MM to a ML. This give you longer range and a bit more versatility.
Give the PF to the VV SGT instead of the Tac SGT and give the Tac SGT the PW instead.
If you want to be in your opponent's face with this list, change the rhino to a Drop Pod and use the points from the Plasma Pistol for a Locator beacon. You could then use what few left over points to give the Tac Sgt or Librarian Melta bombs.
Deploy like this: Put half of the tac sqaud with the ML/MM in cover in your deployment zone.
The other half with Librarian drop down in turn 1 with drop pod and let loose the Emperor's Fury on a suitable target. (Try to drop down right next to a unit/vehicle as this will give your melta gun maximum effectiveness. If against infantry, the Avenger will cause him headaches.)
The VV deploy via DS. DoA says you can reroll your DS deployment roll so hopefully you get them to come in at the start of turn 2 to make a surgical strike at any unit near the drop pod. Drop within 6" of the pod without scatter thanks to the LB, shoot any assault weapon then assault the unit (you should be within 6" charge range if done right anyway.)
After that, mop up anything left over.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-10, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

The Thunder of KayVaan's Flag is: United Kingdom

You have several good points but i'm going to have to counter them.

1. I don't play BA, I'm a solid Vanilla Marine.

2. I frown upon deep striking. The main part is that they are stuck out in the open like sitting ducks. And on top of that they can't assault afterwards so yeah.

3. The Vanguard veterans have no Jump packs so can't deep strike

4. Libby is going with Vanguards to cause some havoc with re-rolling sucessful invunerables

5. I Expect someone to pull a good Tank out of their ass (allowing total of all armour 35 so a vindicator will cause some havoc) therefore melta is there to prevent that

6. Plasma Pistol is there because of WYSIWYG

7. The point for the Vanguards is that they pump out as many Ignoring armour save attacks as possible. I prefer not to give one a powerfist and on top of that, if i need to instant death something, I'll use the meltas.

8. The board is quite small. 24" is Fine for the board.

9. No point in giving the libby a Melta bomb, he still has krak grenades in case of dread or such trying to tie him up and he isn't going tank hunting.

Not trying to offend you. (oh, and my opponet might not be a he!)

Good try though!

Index Astartes: The Forgotten Hunters
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums ...ad.php?t=75470
"Don't forget to check your teabag for pockets of coffee"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 04:55 AM
We fly for the Emperor!

ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia

You have several good points but i'm going to have to counter them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thunder of KayVaan View Post
1. I don't play BA, I'm a solid Vanilla Marine.
Well, I think that the list provided by you already prove that you're playing Ultramarines, not BA

Quote:
2. I frown upon deep striking. The main part is that they are stuck out in the open like sitting ducks. And on top of that they can't assault afterwards so yeah.
The downside of DS is what you say, but they have a lot of good sides also. By DS you can place units in places your opponents will not expect. You can still fire though, so dropping near a vehicle and firing melta to a vehicle gives a nasty suprise to your opponent.

And VV has Heroic Intervention, where you can assault (but not shoot) when you are Deep Striking.

Quote:
3. The Vanguard veterans have no Jump packs so can't deep strike
They can be equipped with Jet Packs to make them able to do Deep Strike.
Quote:
4. Libby is going with Vanguards to cause some havoc with re-rolling sucessful invunerables
IMO, in 500 points only a few people will use invulnerable saves unit (such as Terminators/Autarch) and even then, the saves are so small. You are better with Avenger/Gates of Infinity than with Null Zone.
Quote:
5. I Expect someone to pull a good Tank out of their ass (allowing total of all armour 35 so a vindicator will cause some havoc) therefore melta is there to prevent that
A melta in a tactical squad IMO is not enough. You need to be on 12" and 6" to roll double armor penetration, and a shot from Vindicator will most likely kill a lot of your troops if they are not in cover. My advice is to use ML or LC as anti-tank weapons.
Quote:
6. Plasma Pistol is there because of WYSIWYG
Well, you can proxy them, can't you?
Quote:
7. The point for the Vanguards is that they pump out as many Ignoring armour save attacks as possible. I prefer not to give one a powerfist and on top of that, if i need to instant death something, I'll use the meltas.
I got no problem with this....
Quote:
8. The board is quite small. 24" is Fine for the board.
Which means that a lot of assault are going to happen, and Vindicators (if someone bring it) can start pounding on turn 1, while you have to get close first. Providing that you need to move at least 3 time (2 moves, 1 setting up heavy weapons) to get your 2D6 AP. Vindicators can fire on the move, so they can just set up on cover and use barrage, if you are not on their LoS.

Quote:
9. No point in giving the libby a Melta bomb, he still has krak grenades in case of dread or such trying to tie him up and he isn't going tank hunting.
I agree, I use it for good leftover points use.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 07:53 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

i take it that your group requires 1 HQ & 1 troop choice?

my local group does the same concept only we are required just 1 troop choice (no named characters)

personally id try to add in 2 razorbacks (basic) & combat squad the tact squad - keep a missile launcher instead; i may be more inclined to use a chaplain instead of a libby with the vanguard - are sternguard cheaper? may be better to use them instead.

id keep rambling so ill stop. good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 08:04 AM
We fly for the Emperor!

ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
i take it that your group requires 1 HQ & 1 troop choice?

my local group does the same concept only we are required just 1 troop choice (no named characters)

personally id try to add in 2 razorbacks (basic) & combat squad the tact squad - keep a missile launcher instead; i may be more inclined to use a chaplain instead of a libby with the vanguard - are sternguard cheaper? may be better to use them instead.

id keep rambling so ill stop. good luck
In true RAW (4th edition) well you only needs 1 troop.

It is stated that "You may have one HQ choice, but no more than one."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 11:45 PM

Ultra111's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
I think you can only take a razorback as a dedicated transport? So that means you can only take one for that squad.

Unless (I've just thought about this somehow) you can take razorbacks/rhinos/drop pods by themselves? I can't really see the point, but I just realised I never found out about this, I just assume you can only take DC if you take a squad alongside them.

Why don't you take predators or vindicators? A lot of people may not like this suggestion, but I'm a fan of taking armour at 500 points. My enemy does not expect it, and they lack the means to do any effective damage (most of the time).

You could take 2 predators or 1 vindicator.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode