1500 SW - 2012 Astronomi-Con Prep - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-10, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Default 1500 SW - 2012 Astronomi-Con Prep

Hey everyone,

Some of you may remember my previous astro list post. I've been playtesting like CRAZY and would like some feedback on my latest iteration. Changes and strategy below.

1500 Pts - Space Wolves Roster

HQ: Rune Priest in Power Armour (1#, 100 pts)
1 Rune Priest in Power Armour @ 100 pts (Jaws of the World Wolf; Living Lightning)

HQ: Wolf Lord in Power Armour (3#, 240 pts)
1 Wolf Lord in Power Armour @ 240 pts (Wolf Tail Talisman; Thunderwolf Mount; Storm Shield x1; Thunder Hammer x1; Saga of the Beastslayer)
2 Fenrisian Wolfs

Fast Attack: Thunderwolf Cavalry (4#, 260 pts)
1 Thunderwolf Cavalry (Storm Shield)
1 Thunderwolf Cavalry (Power Fist)
1 Thunderwolf Cavalry (Melta Bombs)
1 Thunderwolf Cavalry

Heavy Support: Long Fangs Pack (6#, 190 pts)
4 Long Fangs Pack @ 190 pts (Missile Launcher x4)
1 Squad Leader
1 Razorback (Twin Linked Lascannon)

Heavy Support: Long Fangs Pack (6#, 155 pts)
4 Long Fangs Pack @ 155 pts (Missile Launcher x4)
1 Squad Leader
1 Razorback (Twin Linked Heavy Bolter)

Heavy Support: Predator (1#, 120 pts)
1 Predator @ 120 pts (Autocannon; Lascannon Sponsons)

Troops: Grey Hunters Pack (6#, 135 pts)
4 Grey Hunters Pack @ 135 pts (Meltagun)
1 Grey Hunter w/ Mark of the Wulfen
1 Razorback - Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Troops: Grey Hunters Pack (7#, 150 pts)
5 Grey Hunters Pack @ 150 pts (Meltagun)

Troops: Grey Hunters Pack (7#, 150 pts)
5 Grey Hunters Pack @ 150 pts (Meltagun)

Total Roster Cost: 1500

General changes:
Cheapened up the Wolf Lord - dropped runic armour and saga of the bear. There isn't much I need to worry about that is str 10 or a force weaponin 1500 points and I have enough defense against both. The 2+ was sorta redundant with T5 and WS6. Beastslayer makes him the perfect baddy in combat.

Dropped 1 TL-Lascannon from the razorbacks. Decided that 2 more bodies with the razorback troop choices is probably the best as I'm pretty low on bodies there already. That razorback can either sit back and transport the long fangs (if the scenario calls for being out of deployment zone) or can run up and just be a general nuisance.

Basic'd up the grey hunters. They probably should not be heading into combat anyways. Kept Mark of the Wulfen for fluff purposes.

Added the Predator. Gives some more solid anti-tank/anti-MC. Hopefully, the opponent will shoot it with his heavier weapons leaving my troop choices/long fangs alone.

Edit:

The other thing I have been toying with is dropping the pred and adding another grey hunter squad like the ones above. Thoughts? I lose a bit of killy to play a bit less on the edge.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!

Last edited by Crimzzen; 10-02-10 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 01:21 AM

lsarofeen's Flag is: USA

im no pro but don't you think hvy bolter is kind of slack?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarofeen View Post
im no pro but don't you think hvy bolter is kind of slack?
Yep. Unless its only 5 points. 5 points for a twin linked heavy bolter is pretty good actually, especially on something that's going to sit back midfield. Its still not bad for mass wounding termies and such, especially when you have 4 of em.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Ok, now I'm leaning towards the 4th troop choice and putting the lascannon back on the other razorback - dropping the pred.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 06:12 AM

lsarofeen's Flag is: USA

aren't space wolves pro las cannons for some reason? added strength or something. is it a rune priest spell?

are you trying to build your list so you can attack the close, mid, and long, an all-comers idea mayhaps?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarofeen View Post
aren't space wolves pro las cannons for some reason? added strength or something. is it a rune priest spell?

are you trying to build your list so you can attack the close, mid, and long, an all-comers idea mayhaps?
Actually, Long Fangs are pro-missile based on how cheap they are haha. Lascannons seem to be fairly standard throughout the codex's. But no, they are the exact same statline as everyone else. The rune priest doesn't have any augment spells like that.

The list is an all-comers but with 8 missiles, living lightning, and 2 lascannons I've got a fair good number of long range support. Potentially 7 different targets. The heavy bolters are just there because its only 5 points to take one. If I don't fire one the entire game, who cares. The TWC are to help out if I get charged by a fast army or something like ymgarl genestealers. They also help out against alpha strike armies as they are insanely hard to gib. you need str 10 and I need to fail a 3+ invuln.... Ultimately though, the fenrisian wolves are going to take the nasty shots first, hopefully on a 4+ cover save as well.

The gray hunters are gonna sit in the bunkers and go for objectives. Not looking to assault until my long fangs soften things up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode