1500 points of Dorn's Finest - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-10, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Kaizer's Flag is: Denmark

1500 points of Dorn's Finest

I been wanting to start some Imperial Fist for some times, and last month I finally got started. At the same time a started playing in a new gaming club, who used some army building restrictions and some house rules. The army building doesn’t really hit marines, so that weren’t a problem, but they had everything with a WS and over 25% of their starting number to be scoring. It let me mix a lot of different things in, and not use all my points on tactical marines.

After some time I got myself together and wrote a nice all around list. It aren’t really competitive, but it is okay, in my book. What do you think?

1500 points of Dorn’s finest
HQ
Captain
Artificer armour, 2 thunder hammers
Pts: 175

Command squad
2 meltaguns, 1 meltabomb, razorback w/ heavy bolter
Pts: 180

Elites
Ironclad
2 hunterkiller missiles, 2 heavy flamers, drop pod
Pts: 205

Sternguard squad (8-man)
2 combi-meltaguns, sarge w/ powerfist, rhino
Pts: 270

Troops
Tactical marine squad (10-man)
Meltagun, missile launcher, sarge w/ powerfist, razorback w/ TL lascannon
Pts: 275

Scout squad (8-man)
Camo cloaks, 6 sniper rifles, 1 missile launcher, sarge w/ sniper rifles
Pts: 148

Heavy support
Vindicator
Siege shield
Pts: 125

Predator
Autocannon, las sponsons
Pts: 120

Total: 1498 points

I played a handful of games with it by now and I think I seems to be working quite fine. The only thing I have been thinking about changing is removing one thunderhammer from the captain and the meltabomb from the command squad and giving their razorback a TL lascannon instead. Any other ideas.

"Baby, Im a heretic, and your a spineless imperalist"

Last edited by Kaizer; 06-08-10 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-10, 04:59 AM

Longinus's Flag is: Sweden

Dual wielding thunder hammers for the win, I use a terminator captain with two thunder hammers i my BA army but there are of course better choices in your case i would go for relic blade storm shield or exchange one hammer for a shield. I know that he already got a 4+ inv save but a 3+ is better.

Wich unit is the captain going with? If he is going with the command squad I would suggest dropping one melta and the melta bombs and throw in a PW or some CC boost and I can't see that he is going to do any good in any other squad.

I personally dont think that the siege shield is worth its points since a dozer blade do almsot the same thing but cheaper and if you roll two 1's in a row on terrain test then you know that it was meant for your tank to get stuck there

I wonder what chaos do in thier spare time???
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-10, 09:56 PM

I agree with Longinus about dropping a TH for a SS, and the siege shield. I would also give one of the command squad a pw, or go relic blade with the commander to use the IN5 and a TH to one of the command squad. Put your MG back on the Ironclad. You are going to want it alot.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-10, 10:16 PM

Fenge's Flag is: Denmark

Unlike, almost everyone else, I think it is absolutly awesome that you opt for the dual Thunder Hammer kit on the captain and dont go mainstream SS+RB/TH combo.

not a big fan of the Ironclad though, but you already know that ;)
I would drop it and add some more manpower.

The only thing more dangerous than serving the Imperium, is not serving the Imperium!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

We can all agree on that is would be better with a relic blade and a stormshield, instead of the dualwielding thunderhammer madness I got going;) But I can't get myself to drop it. So I will build another captain with relicblade/storm shield, since I got the bits. And then I will build a veteran for the commandsquad with a thunderhammer(got the one from the DC set).

The siege shield aren't that much about the game function, more the look;) So its staying;) Kind of the same, with the meltagun on the Ironclad. It's clear that the meltagun would be better, but 2 heavyflamers, just looks awesome.

No doubt about my list being able to be more competative, but some times its about looking awesome and while you loose ;)

Last edited by Kaizer; 06-09-10 at 08:37 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 01:07 PM

Its a nice list. I just listed what I would change. As for the ironclad dread. I just finished mine. I took the dual fuel tanks from the old rhino kits and added it to the HF arm as well it added extra kewlness to the look.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 03:39 PM

mercer's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post

1500 points of Dornís finest
HQ
Captain
Artificer armour, 2 thunder hammers
Pts: 175

Command squad
2 meltaguns, 1 meltabomb, razorback w/ heavy bolter
Pts: 180

Elites
Ironclad
2 hunterkiller missiles, 2 heavy flamers, drop pod
Pts: 205

Sternguard squad (8-man)
2 combi-meltaguns, sarge w/ powerfist, rhino
Pts: 270

Troops
Tactical marine squad (10-man)
Meltagun, missile launcher, sarge w/ powerfist, razorback w/ TL lascannon
Pts: 275

Scout squad (8-man)
Camo cloaks, 6 sniper rifles, 1 missile launcher, sarge w/ sniper rifles
Pts: 148

Heavy support
Vindicator
Siege shield
Pts: 125

Predator
Autocannon, las sponsons
Pts: 120

Total: 1498 points

I played a handful of games with it by now and I think I seems to be working quite fine. The only thing I have been thinking about changing is removing one thunderhammer from the captain and the meltabomb from the command squad and giving their razorback a TL lascannon instead. Any other ideas.
While having two thunder hammers is damn cool it's costly and wastes the captains slightly higher initiative. You want something to fit in the fists theme take a relic blade and storm shield, much better and more survivable ;)

Command squad is nothing but bodybags for your captain - they'll get mauled in combat. If you upgrade them with power weaps and storm shields terminators work out cheaper, I'd go this route.

Consider giving the ironclad a meltagun because if you drop pod in near an armoured target your flamers aren't going to do nothing, only the h-ks will and you've got 2 shots only. Oh, you should take dreads in pairs and multiple drop pods because that single pod will come down and be unsupported.

A 5 man combat squad doesn't win combat whether got a power fist or not.

Meh on the scouts, you don't have enough troops either.

Both tanks are fine but you should take in pairs so you need to drop one or the other.

Hope that helps

www.imperiusdominatus.com - hobby & tactica blog.

[email protected] - list help
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnsira View Post
Its a nice list. I just listed what I would change. As for the ironclad dread. I just finished mine. I took the dual fuel tanks from the old rhino kits and added it to the HF arm as well it added extra kewlness to the look.
And Im thankful for the advice man;) But Im not new to the game, so the standart competative choices I got the hang off. Just hoped for some out of the box ideas;)

Sounds cool with the fuel tanks, hope you post some pics.

@ mercer -> You are kind of repeating what the other guys already said. But you bring some stuff up I haven't heard before.
I can see the idea in dropping 2 dreads on the first turn, but then I need 3 drop pods total, and that does alot to the army build. I can see why you think its competative, but not in this list.

But lets get to the interesting thing you wrote. Running vindicators and predators in pairs. Why if I may ask?

Last edited by Kaizer; 06-09-10 at 09:43 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 10:05 PM

Fenge's Flag is: Denmark

I can see why its a good idea running Preds and Vindis in pairs, as it strenghtens their role in the game, plus if you lose one you have a backup.

on a side note. I know the Vindi is very fluffy for a IF list and that you are very fond of it. But in my experience it only pays off in those rare few games. It just does it so spectaculary that it kinda sticks with you after that.

I would drop it for another Pred

The only thing more dangerous than serving the Imperium, is not serving the Imperium!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 10:19 PM

i find vindis really usefull it is more phsycholgical than anything it diverts so muchfire power away frm other more important things such as your iron clads or your sterngaurd and if it does shoot bonus saying that my main opponent is a meganob ork army so s10 ap2 is a scary thing 4 him

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode