500 pts space marine - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Default 500 pts space marine

Heya i"m in desperate need of opinions on these things. i'm gonna be running a 500pt tourney for a few groups and a shop in the area and i wanted to have a few armies from my space marines sitting around for new ppl to have the chance to play i want them to be fairly strait forward and still cater to the particular chapter fluff wise and be able to compete. that and the ppl who usually organize this type thing are makin everybody use standard one hq+2 troop list and they're on 48X48 inch squares. pretty difficult i know but i'm gonna try anyways here goes

Ultramarines: big mid range firepower 3 scoring units with combat squad rule and okay Tank blastin potential. should be enough for 500 point matches
Captain+MB
Tactical squad 5 added marines rocket launcher and flamer
scout squad with snipers+camo cloaks+MB
predator with TL LC and HB side sponsons
White Scars: really fast movin with good firepower. tank killin will be harder with this cause you'll have to get in close with bombs but with the bikes should be achievable
Kor'Sarro Khan on Moondrakkan
bike squad one-2 add-bikers and MB
bike squad two-2 add-bikers and MB 2 bikers have flamers
Blood Angels: from the new codex so lots of jumpy ppl wich gives alot more options than the other two because they can go over terrain instead of footsloggin around
Captain+ JP+ MB
Assault squad 1- 5 add-marines+MB
Assault squad 2- +MB+MG
LandSpeeder with MM
K so there's the 3 army lists i have we have the smurfs with midrange firepower we have the biky ppl with well bikes and melta bombs
and we have the angels who jump over stuff and drop at you input please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 10:41 PM

Betawing's Flag is: USA

Looks good. I like to sticking to the fluff of the three armies too bad you dont have the Salamanders in there. (they just have a different feel to them). The Bike squads are my only problem, but that's because I cant play them very well. And I thought the only person who could make bikes troop chices was a Captain on a bike? Oh well.

Well good luck on the tourney.

'Hit [the enemy] Hard, Hit [the enemy] Fast, And Leave None Alive to Tell the Tale!!'
-- 1st Scout Sergeant of the Guardian Angels

'The Angels of Death have come . . . Upon the Wings of Destruction and Slaughter . . . to claim the lives of all that stand between the Drop Zone and Inevitable Victory'
-- Anticus Chaplain of the Guardian Angels

'For the Guardians!!!'
-- Battle Cry of the Guardian Angels

"We make WAR that we may live in Peace"
-- Aristotle
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Lol i totally missed that the captains could do that. I'm not sure if giving the bike squads furious charge and hit and run is worth the 70 pts more than a standard captain that kor'sarro adds up to i could get a basic predator or even give the captain a powerfist... add another bike to each squad... there's a surprising ammount of play in 70 pts. lemme check those special rules and i'll try and repost. i'm also working on potential lists for the other first founding chapters but i don't have the other codexes so it'll be difficult to get dark angels or use the templar for an imp fists... gimme a bit.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 11:24 PM

Blueberrypop's Flag is: USA

cant use RL and Flamer in 5 man can you?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator

You can't, but Tuck3r is not using a five man tactical squad. 5 added marines means just that, 5 more added to the squad; making the squad ten strong and able to get the missile launcher and flamer.

In all three lists, Khan aside, once you get into close combat theres little in the way of your squads that would allow you to do that much damage. Marines aren't known for their over-abundance of regular attacks, having ones that can bypass saves are something you should really consider.

For your first list, I would very much suggest swapping the captain out for a librarian or a chaplain. They might not have the initiative of the captain, but both come with power weapons and the librarian has access to psychic powers while the chaplain can augment the squad he's with on the charge.

For your squads, I would suggest the scouts you have, but drop the meltabombs for a heavy weapon; preferably a missile launcher. They have sniper rifles, that means they have to stay still; meltabombs need you to be on the move and you don't want that.

For the tactical squad, I'd advise keeping them at ten strong, taking the missile launcher, give them a rhino, and either keep the flamer and get a power weapon and meltabombs or give them a meltagun and powerfist. This gives you some armour on the field, as light as it may be. (At 500 points though, having access to some armour that can move your forces faster is a good thing.)

With the remaining points, about sixty five or so, I'd suggest getting a land speeder with heavy bolter and multi-melta or something. More armour and the ability to be a threat to any armour your opponent fields, and then infantry as well.

With the above suggestions, you now have access to two missile launchers and a landspeeder with anti armour and troop heavy weapons on top of two models that are capable of making a dent in close combat. The predator's heavier armour is sacrificed, but a lascannon turret and heavy bolter sponsons tend to not work all that well in my experience anyway.

[Will edit this to comment on the other lists soon.]

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Last edited by darkreever; 05-04-10 at 11:47 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-10, 12:12 AM

Blueberrypop's Flag is: USA

my list is

Chaplain
-PF

*just kicks face*

5 man scout squad
-CCW + BP
-HB
-PF

*shooty plus when mounted up you get some super assault*

10 man Tac
-RL
-Flamer
-PF
-Rhino

*Rhino makes em mobile RL makes em blow up armor and PF is just great*

Land speeder storm

* It's a land speeder lol*

if that helps

Last edited by Blueberrypop; 05-05-10 at 12:32 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-10, 01:43 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

out of the 3 lists i think that the blood angels are the best as is.

but with the mentions already said anything is playable.

for the WS army id drop the bikes & if you want to keep with the fluff of the chapter i think that 5 man squads in razorbacks would be a good substitute for the bikes at 130 pts basic which is cheaper than the bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-10, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Thefirst list i like the idea of droppin the captain for a librarian that will give us an edge cause there aren't many other races that have survivable psykers at this small group fighting. and i like the idea of dropping the MB in the scout squad and dropping the MB from the captain to get the lib will give me 10 pts to add a missle launcher to the scouts. keep in mind that with the first list i already have the predator which is giving me my armor. thas why i don't have enough for a rhino.

next list

and for the white scars army i like the bikes because with Kor'Sarro you get hit and run and furious charge. and with the bikes they are relentless which means that i can shoot at the squads assault and with Kor'Sarro i can roll initiative and move 3 d6 through them. then turn around and cycle through again. that gives me shooting and melee in one rnd. though i could drop one of the bike squads and the MB from one and the flamers that would give me enough for a tac squad of 5 and a razorback. though it would still need more tank killing.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-10, 03:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck3r View Post
White Scars: really fast movin with good firepower. tank killin will be harder with this cause you'll have to get in close with bombs but with the bikes should be achievable
Kor'Sarro Khan on Moondrakkan
bike squad one-2 add-bikers and MB
bike squad two-2 add-bikers and MB 2 bikers have flamers
At little over two hundred points, it might be a good idea to leave Kor'Sarro out of this and opt for a cheaper captain in his stead. In place of the master of the hunt, I would very much advise a regular Khan here. A normal captain on bike with a power weapon or lightning claw. That way you have points to give other goodies elsewhere while allowing the leader of the force to be deadly in combat.

For the biker squads, well if you want bike troops than your hands are tied in regards to minimum unit size. They have to number five bikers in order to count as troops. With the points left over from not taking Kor'Sarro in my suggestion above, you can give the two bike squads some extra stuff.

Between the pair, I would suggest dropping meltabombs on both units and getting the now naked one a pair of meltaguns. Give the flamer toting bike squad a power weapon, and the now meltagun bike squad a powerfist.

The total is the same, five over the given limit; which you could fix by swapping a meltagun for a flamer. However, that little snag aside, doing the above would mean adding a bit of anti armour or anti-heavy infantry firepower to your force in addition to making them deadly at close range; and now they don't have to rely solely on charging to take enemy armour out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck3r View Post
Blood Angels: from the new codex so lots of jumpy ppl wich gives alot more options than the other two because they can go over terrain instead of footsloggin around
Captain+ JP+ MB
Assault squad 1- 5 add-marines+MB
Assault squad 2- +MB+MG
LandSpeeder with MM
For 130 points, that commander of yours is looking a bit like a glorified sergeant to be honest. His attacks and high weapon skill/initiative are wasted because his close combat attacks cannot deny armour saves to whoever or whatever he is hitting.

Instead of the captain, for the Blood Angel list I would very much suggest having this force led by a jump pack reclusiarch. He is a little more expensive than the captain, but he can give a squad he's with a powerful boost in close combat and comes stock with a power weapon.

Next up would be the pair of assault squads you have for troops in this list. From the razorspam I've seen and have no love for, if your going to be using small assault squads then they are best off mounted. That and from personal experience, unless your going for the second special weapon, an assault squad can make do with only seven or eight marines in the squad.

For these two squads, I would suggest dropping the ten man down to eight, give them a meltagun and powerfist. For the small squad, I'd suggest increasing the squad to six, swapping their meltagun out for a flamer, give them a power weapon, and mount them in a razorback.

Its smaller than the list you put up originally, and runs at 502 points, and lacks the landspeeder, but both squads are able to do some damage with a special ranged and close combat weapon, you have the heavy weapon of the razorback, and the chaplain to lead the non mounted assault squad. (If your looking to shave off those two points, you could forgo the suggested razorback and give the squad a seventh member.)

Right, so you create these three lists and you constantly toss in meltabombs on just about everything you can. How much armour do you expect people to be bringing at 500 points and do you really think most of them will let these squads get close enough to use them?

With the exception of Kor'Sarro, none of your lists have the ability to deny saves in close combat, most squads and characters in these lists are armed only with the most basic of gear. Lists, even ones at 500 points, can cram in a fair amount as long as you don't go spending points on things that are best left for larger games.

The suggestions I made to the three lists allow each one to play competitively and show off some of the features of each marine force while maintaining the fluff element of things.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-10, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

THose are some great idea's and i'm greatful this is the first time i've built anything this small. My last tourney with this small a force i didn't have any models so i used a buddies prearanged list. got third but is alright.

another thing i was thinking about was for my first list i could swap out the predator for a vindicator which with the predators side sponsons is like the same point cost. that would give it a strenght 10 large blast and on the smaller tables i can get it into play quite a bit sooner.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode