2000 Imminent Tourny - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-10, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Et Spiritus Dorn's Flag is: USA

2000 Imminent Tourny

Hey guys, got a tourney coming up in February. Any advise or input would be great. Thanks.

HQ
175 Pedro Kantor

ELITES
295 Sternguard Veterans (10)
( PF, Combi-Melta x4 )
35 Drop Pod

200 Assault Terminators (5)
( TH/SS x4, Lightning Claws x1 )

TROOPS
200 Tactical Sqaud (10)
( PF , MG , MM )

195 Tactical Squad (10)
( PF , Flamer, ML )

227 Scout Squad (10)
( Sniper Riffles x8, Camo Cloaks x9, HB , Telion )

HEAVY SUPPORT
155 Predator
( Autocannon, HB sponsors, Chronus )

260 Land Raider Crusader
( MM )

258 Devastator Team (8)
( LC x3, ML )

+___

I can see the biggest unit that may bring up some discussion is the Scout Squad. Some say Telion is not worth it, and almost everyone says the HB is crap, but in the many games I have played them, they prove more useful than any tact squad I could have run. Taking Telion affords me the wound allocation to attempt plucking off PF sergeants and or other important hidden units like IC's; and no one sees the hellfire shell from the HB coming. Wounds on a 2+ and allows all saves, but it is great for putting a wound on a MC or bunched up marines who would shrug off a frag missile shot. All while sitting on a point in cover with 3+ cover saves.

I run Pedro with the Assault Terminators in order to convey the Inspiring Presence and drop the Orb Bomb turn one to soften the enemy lines and cripple a good unit (Tau Broadsides, Eldar Pathfinders, etc.)

I run an anti-infantry pred with Chronus, and it is devastating. His buffs to the tank allows it to work great. I also run an anti-mech dev team. I chose these units because inherently a tank can survive against most infantry, and infantry in cover (like my devs) can usually hold out against heavy fire. I feel that these two will work great with each other to hit all parts of the opposition's line.

Other than that, I think the list is pretty straight forward as a "take all comers" style that marines tend to work for. Thanks again for input.

Proud Member of the 40k Wartruck on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-10, 11:03 AM

Calamari's Flag is: United Kingdom

It seems ok, there are a few things to watch out for though.

The first thing that jumps out is your lone drop podding unit, they are going to murder something on the turn they hit but then they will be out in the open and looking very attractive to your oponent. consider supporting them with something, like a dreadnought possibly.

Secondly, the Tac squads seem a bit wasted seeing as they have no transports. I would say either mech up or swap them for Scouts for the lol factor.

Follow mine and Jam's 40K delusions at:

crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-10, 11:58 AM

I agree with Calamari, you need transports to go with your tac squads. Apart from that it looks great to me.

I can read your mind. Right now you think I'm lying.

games from August 2009 - now
w/d/l
21/4/6

Check out my black legion W.I.P

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-10, 04:00 PM

Underground Heretic's Flag is: USA

It is a balanced army and one I wouldn't mind playing against, but it really doesn't seem as dangerous as the list I thought was your "standard."

You might be able to do more against a mechanized list than before, but think you are more vulnerable to being reserved on. Your Sternguard have to deep strike turn one, which normally won't be a problem, but I honestly like the option you have to hold onto those combi-meltas for a late game strike and holding an objective. Four scoring units will be hard to kill and your scouts will be able hold your "base" objective in 3+ cover. Tell me if you want to test this later.

That which doesn't kill me has made a tactical mistake.

Rites of Battle Your source for 40k opinions, news, and hobby updates.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-10, 05:12 PM
stealthrat1's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et Spiritus Dorn View Post
Hey guys, got a tourney coming up in February. Any advise or input would be great. Thanks.

HQ
175 Pedro Kantor

ELITES
295 Sternguard Veterans (10)
( PF, Combi-Melta x4 )
35 Drop Pod

200 Assault Terminators (5)
( TH/SS x4, Lightning Claws x1 )

TROOPS
200 Tactical Sqaud (10)
( PF , MG , MM )

195 Tactical Squad (10)
( PF , Flamer, ML )

227 Scout Squad (10)
( Sniper Riffles x8, Camo Cloaks x9, HB , Telion )

HEAVY SUPPORT
155 Predator
( Autocannon, HB sponsors, Chronus )

260 Land Raider Crusader
( MM )

258 Devastator Team (8)
( LC x3, ML )

+___

I can see the biggest unit that may bring up some discussion is the Scout Squad. Some say Telion is not worth it, and almost everyone says the HB is crap, but in the many games I have played them, they prove more useful than any tact squad I could have run. Taking Telion affords me the wound allocation to attempt plucking off PF sergeants and or other important hidden units like IC's; and no one sees the hellfire shell from the HB coming. Wounds on a 2+ and allows all saves, but it is great for putting a wound on a MC or bunched up marines who would shrug off a frag missile shot. All while sitting on a point in cover with 3+ cover saves.

I run Pedro with the Assault Terminators in order to convey the Inspiring Presence and drop the Orb Bomb turn one to soften the enemy lines and cripple a good unit (Tau Broadsides, Eldar Pathfinders, etc.)

I run an anti-infantry pred with Chronus, and it is devastating. His buffs to the tank allows it to work great. I also run an anti-mech dev team. I chose these units because inherently a tank can survive against most infantry, and infantry in cover (like my devs) can usually hold out against heavy fire. I feel that these two will work great with each other to hit all parts of the opposition's line.

Other than that, I think the list is pretty straight forward as a "take all comers" style that marines tend to work for. Thanks again for input.
Take 2 reular meltaguns with you sternguard instead of the combi ones. Get rid of the 25pt powerfist. They are not worth it. The scout squad is ok I guess although I hate them. The tactical squads may want rhinos. Chronus does not seem to fit very well anywhere to me but sure, keep him. Why a Crusader? Those extra slots give you nothing while a redeemer can hold a sufficent amount of guys, is less points (even when you add the multi-melta), and has better weapons.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode