To Fight the Tau, PLEASE HELP - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-09, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Triangulum's Flag is: USA

Location: Lurking in the Shadows between the Darkness and the Light
Default To Fight the Tau, PLEASE HELP

Right, I am going to be fighting a Well Played Well Handled Tau Army for a spot in a campaign. The guy handling it has won against everyone but two of the eleven competitors. In it is at least one tooled up Hammerhead Tank, a Broadside team, two Pathfinder teams (that have been given the Relentless special rule, a Tetra team, some firewarriors, kroot, vespid, and a suit command team or two. As it stands I dont know if we will play 2000 or 2500 so the list I am planning to use in each contingency is below. I would appreciate any feedback.

Troops

Tactical Squad I
10x Marines, Plasmagun, Combiplasma, Plasma Cannon

Tactical Squad II

Tactical Squad III

Tactical Squad IV

Tactical Squad V

Fast Attack

Assault Squad I
10x Marines, Power Blade, 2x Flamers

Assault Squad II
10x Marines, Power Blade, 2x Flamers

Assault Squad III
10x Marines, Power Fist

HQ

Chapter Master
Combi Melta, Jump Pack, Relic Blade

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad
10x Marines, 2x Lascannon, 2x Heavy Bolter

2000 pts
--------------------------------------------------------------

Tactical Squad VI

Deathstorm Drop Pod
Assault Cannons

Deathstorm Drop Pod
Assault Cannons

2500 pts
---------------------------------------------------------------

I also have 150 pts of Allies that I can take by the campaign rules, I am spending them on

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
Mystic 2x, Stormbolter, Psycannon Bolts

Officio Assassinorium Operative
Vindicare Assassin

----------------------------------------------------------------
THE PLAN

The big plan is that for his forces to really have any degree of effectiveness, they need to be able to get to 12" of my lines. Without that, the Tau and Kroot's weapons will be of limited effectiveness against the marines armor, and my plasma cannons and heavy bolters will have the range to hit them back with more powerful weaponry. The assault squads will engage any units that get to close to the firebase, especially drone squadrons, vespid, and battlesuits.

I plan to ignore the broadsides and his other anti tank weapons (aka seeker missile galore) While they have the power to kill individual marines outright (especially without cover saves due to markerlights), even if he eradicates a whole squad of marines piecemeal, they will still not be a major factor in the game.

My biggest worry in an objective based game is that he sends a unit of tau in a devilfish to claim objectives on the last turn. With the tooled up vehicles he uses I will probably not get to much damage done to them with my lascannons, or any other weapons I can take that fire from more than 12" away. Hence the Deathstorm Drop Pods. They should be effective in neutralising the pathfinders and their transport (due to relentless, they always deploy from the devilfish and fire on the first turn). If he blackballs the Deathstorm pods, I am taking Shrike to get another CC character, and giving all of my units fleet, rather usefull for the assault squads hunting battlesuits.

The inquisitor and assassin are there for the sake of deterring deepstrikers and popping the team leaders who have the drone controllers.

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-09, 04:35 AM

EpsilonZero's Flag is: USA

I've found scouts with Teleport Homers to work well against Tau, Try to Infiltrate near some cover and call in some Termies if you've got some. As your list is right now, You've got too many troops, I think.

If I was playing at 2500 points against Tau, it'd be something like this (While also keeping your assault-y orientation in mind.)

HQ:
Chapter Master (Relic Blade, Bolt Pistol, Artificer Armour, Jump-pack) 195 points
LibrarianEpistolary) 150 Points

Troops:
10 man Tactical Squad (Flamer, Multi-Melta, Melta Bomb, Rhino) 210 points
10 man Tactical Squad (Flamer, Multi-Melta, Metla Bomb Rhino) 210 points
10 man Tactical Squad (Flamer, Multi-Melta, Metla Bomb) 175 points
5 man Scout Squad (5 Bolt Pistol+CCW, Melta Bomb, Teleport Homer) 95 Points
5 man Scout Squad (5 Bolt Pistol+CCW, Melta Bomb, Teleport Homer) 95 Points

Elites:
5 Assault Terminators(2 TH, 3 LC) 200 Points
5 Assualt Terminators (2 TH, 3 LC) 200 Points
Venerable Dreadnought: (Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta, Drop Pod) 210 Points

Fast Attack:
10 Assualt Marines: 205 Points
5 Assualt Marines: 115 Points

Heavy Support:
10 Man Devastator squad: (Multi-Melta X4) 230 Points
Whirlwind: 85 Points.

Total: 2495

I'd find this to work well if you can get your Scouts to bring in the Assault Termies into the game as soon as they can, When the Termies get in, Use them and the scouts to attack your enemy's Troops while your Tactical Squads lumber their way closer and closer, The Assualt Squads can get in as close as they can, hopefully chopping up stuff as they go, Devastator Squad takes down enemy suits, The Whirlwind helps keep the Enemy Firing line nice and small, to help keep the Termies from getting drowned out by a hail of pulse rifle fire.

I haven't tried anything like this, as I typically dislike using Assault Marines, due to the cost, and due to the fact that they don't really vibe well with the way my lists tend to work, but this may work out pretty well, if not, it might give you an idea or two.

Drop the Venerable Dread next to a contested objective, See if he tries to bring that broadside anywhere near it.

Happy hunting!

The Brazen Bulls

W:4 D:1 L:6

In His glory, and the glory of Olympia!

Last edited by EpsilonZero; 12-04-09 at 04:38 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-09, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Triangulum's Flag is: USA

Location: Lurking in the Shadows between the Darkness and the Light

Thanks, I dont really have the models to make that work and we are strictly what you see is what you get. I originally thought about bringing my fully mechanised list to fight him, its got 11 tanks in it along with about 80 marines. Unfortunately given the sheer quantity of AT he packs it wont make it halfway across the table.

Add to that the fact that he is just to mobile for the termis to make a difference, and if needs be he has enough AP 1 and 2 weapons to slowly wipe them out via invul saves, and I dont think your list is the way to go either. Thanks for the feedback though.

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-09, 06:50 AM

EpsilonZero's Flag is: USA

That's alright, I'm somewhat new to the game as it is, So it's a bit of a learning experience for me.

Good luck on your game, by the way.

The Brazen Bulls

W:4 D:1 L:6

In His glory, and the glory of Olympia!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-09, 07:29 AM

cosidered using Kor'sarro Khan? he swaps combat tactics for the ability to outflank, meaning you can negate his ability to keep you at range which is the tau's strongest asset.

You can outflank with a damn landraider with some assault termies or a few attack bikes with multimeltas, or anything that can pop tanks or assault and tie up his crisis suits or broadsides. It will cause havoc with his ability to keep you at range a force him into a corner where he can't escape.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-09, 07:56 AM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Yeah, a Bike Orientated list with Kharn on the field would maybe give you the edge in assault - or a Raven Guard orientated list led by Shrike.

Defiantly put any Dread's in Drop Pods, they will arrive behind enemy lines, get in close with the Tau Tanks and distract them from mauling your infantry/bikers/assault marines as they head in for close combat.

Hope I helped .
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-09, 10:22 AM

Kobrakai's Flag is: United Kingdom

There are a few things I really like about your list, and others that i'm not too sure on when playing against Tau.

The things I like; lots of tactical marines and assault marines. That is a awesome thing t see, that you've maxxed out on troop choices. Really fluffy and very effective.

However, from your list i'm thinking a lot of your army is going to sit back, turn the middle of the battlefield into huge corridors of fire and engage a firefight, when a element of your assault force strike forward. Could work, but I fear that your assault marines will go too fast and be left stranded if unsupported.

I'd like to see some rhino transports for 2 of your tactical squads, have them race up with the assault marines. It gives them firesupport should they get bogged down, and won't leave them out on a limb and possibly cut off.

Another thing is why a combi-melta with a jump pack? Personally i'm not a fan of jack of all trades commanders that are offensive commanders. If he was on foot with a command squad and razorback, sure i'd like to see a ranged weapon and relic blade, but I think melta bombs would be better (and more in character).

Finally, I see a army facing Tau with no whirlwind . They are perfect for anti tau armies.

I would definitely consider leaving out that 6th tact if it is 2500pts, pick up a whirlwind and a few rhino transports, would give you a really mobile assault force, while still giving you a great firebase.

Good luck, I really hope you win and get into the campaign!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode