PLEASE HELP Compeditive Versus Necrons - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-09, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Triangulum's Flag is: USA

Location: Lurking in the Shadows between the Darkness and the Light
Default PLEASE HELP Compeditive Versus Necrons

A while ago I had a big match against da orks, and there were some really good suggestions. Well, so now I am playing a necron guy who plays the following armylist

1 Necron Lord w Res Orb + Nightshroud (I think, it’s the teleport wargear item)
120 Necron Warriors
1 Monolith

It always goes the same, he drops the monolith into the middle of my lines and starts marching out warriors from it while 3 20 man sit tight on the objectives or advance as needed. The other three tend to walk out of the monolith. I have a bit of an issue especially in annihilation given that he has only 8 kill points at 2500, and during the base capture mission, he just sits 3 squads on his objective and sends the others in with the monolith. This gets very annoying very fast, especially as he knows what he is doing with his army/the good necron tactics.

Troops

6x Tactical Squad- 1410

5 Extra marines, Plasma Cannon, Combiplasma, Plasma Gun
6x Razorback

Fast Attack- 420

2x Assault Squad
5 Extra Marines, Power Weapon, Combat Shield

HQ- 295

Chapter Master
Model, Combi Melta, Relic Blade, Jump Pack

Chaplain
Model, Jump Pack

Heavy Support- 375

3x Vindicator
Model, Siege Shield

Total 2500 pts

I know there is the traditional Hit them with CC units and they wont survive strategy versus Necrons, but the way he uses the monolith, every time there is a squad in CC he pulls it back, and there are always so many survivors from the large squads that it is still an effective unit, and even from 24” out fifteen or so flayers from the assaulted unit plus another thirty or so from the supporting unit and the monolith’s intrinsic firepower and that of the lord (assuming he wasn’t in CC where he is fairly effective) tend to make that tactic work pretty poorly in practice. So the list includes two counter strike units, but they are mainly for clearing objectives, not for fighting off my own.

Any thoughts/comments welcome.

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-09, 08:30 PM

usa_supersonic's Flag is: Romania

I don't think you can take razorback if you have 10 man in a squad...max you need to have 6- I don;t know for sure..but still..haven't seen if before
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-09, 08:50 PM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Necron player to the resecue!

If he's spamming warriors its going to be impossible to outgun him, so don't try. However, you have him in mobility and range. Go vehicle heavy. Even though the P Whip can hit at S9 he can only shoot it once per turn and if he shoots it he can't teleport warriors. Better yet, if he has the warriors in reserve, he HAS to use the portal, not the Pie Plate, as per the rules for using the portal. I suggest Land Raiders; It'll be hard to demolish a LR with a hail of glances but be warned, forty of them will do it rather rapidly if you enter the 12" super Necron Glancification Death Zone. Outrange them with weapons that shoot farther than 12" on your LR's and try to take something at S9, with Ordnance, if possible, as nothing below S9 has a snowball's chance in hell of dropping that Monolith. Even then, its a narrow shot without Ordnance, as with S9 you'll penetrate on a 6 and glance on a 5, meaning you'll only get the opportunity to penetrate 1/6th of the time, and after that, its still only a 1/3rd chance that you'll blow it up. Ordnance will help even those odds. If you can get your hands on some S10 that would be spectacular. Take his monolith out. Blast weapons would be good too against the grouped Necron warriors, and be sure to take out the Lord with Res Orb so he can't reroll WBB from power weapons or S8+.

Alternately theres a much easier way to deal with him. Lots and lots and lots and lots of terminators. Wade into his ranks and tear them apart; Warriors don't stand a chance in melee against a tenth their numbers in Terminators; Take a CC Hero and make the job even easier. Cut a swath to his Monolith and pop that sucker apart with tons of Power Fist/Power Sword/Thunder Hammer attacks. The only thing that will pose any resistance is his Lord, which has at the very least a Power Weapon no matter what in the form of the Staff of Light. He'll likely be packing a Warscythe though. Bring him down with your Termie swarm and keep on choppin'. As long as you're engaged in melee his great shooting ability is powerless, and even if he manages to shoot, you have a 2+ armor save, so you'll generally be able to laugh the shots off. Use lots of melee units against him and he'll just fall over dead.

Either will work, and you can do either depending on what you have available, but I honestly have to advise the second one if he's only running one monolith. Once that lith pops he's screwed.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-09, 10:50 PM

Sqwerlpunk's Flag is: USA

You're running 3x Vindicators...

That's 3x S10 Ordnance shots that will rip his Monolith to shreds. You really should just be owning it.

Otherwise, I'd try to find a way to include an assault force that can Sweeping Advance (No WBB for you!), and mechanize as hard as you can, as Warriors+1 Monolith will struggle really hard to counter a lot of vehicles (unless of course you get in that NGDZ that Iron Angel was talking about, stay at range, fool).

Has the Infiltrate USR {NTGU}
>>Sqwerl's Tactical Squads<<

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-09, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Triangulum's Flag is: USA

Location: Lurking in the Shadows between the Darkness and the Light

In order,

usa_supersonic, yes you can buy razorbacks, even if you just want them as roving gun batteries. I sometimes use them to buy a turn of not getting shot at by making a line in the middle of the table. In any case I am combat squadding and sending the plasma gun / combi plasma squad after objectives.

Iron Angel, I think I have the mobility and vehicles covered, and enough ordinance to engage the one monolith. I normally dont take vindicators because of their short range, but if he's dropping in then problem solved.

I dont really think that I could afford to lose what I would have to for the terminator spam to be effective.

Sqwerlpunk, yes yes I am. I am just leaving the plasma cannons stationary as they can really soften up a unit pre assault with no WBB, all the other squads are fairly mobile, and just with the characters and Srgs, I should win CC consistently with my assault units.

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-09, 02:10 AM

Sqwerlpunk's Flag is: USA

I'm just sayin, Terminators (whilst bad-ass) will not be able to Sweep, and as such, aren't a good choice against 'Crons. Hell, this is probably one of the very few times where saying taking a fuckin' Honor Guard is a good idea, 2+ save with Power Weapons and the Initiative to make it happen. He's already got the CM for the requirements, and the Chaplain to make the squad tick!

Has the Infiltrate USR {NTGU}
>>Sqwerl's Tactical Squads<<

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-09, 02:50 AM

FuzzyRabbit's Flag is: USA

I would say drop the chapter master and take 3 rhinos instead of razorbacks, while putting lascannons on the other 3 razorbacks. Wait for the monolith to show and shoot it to ribbons with 3 lascannons and the 3 vindicators. After that many shots it should be done for. Then use the 3 rhinos to adcance 3 tac squads, drop the 3 squads next to one of his holding an objective and rapid fire goodness will ensue. His whole plan revolves around the monolith, I hate to say it but but tweak your list to take it out and then he really has nothing that can not be picked apart by what else you have on the table.

No matter where you go in life,
Whatever be your goal.
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-09, 02:53 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Well, you don't necessarily need to sweep; The Warriors pose no actual threat to Termies in CC. Plus, if he has a ton of units grouped that close to each other, you're liable to Trap him, destroying the unit anyway. I suppose any other CC specific troops would work. You could probably get away with a Dreadnought or two wading into the enemy's lines except that they pose a slightly higher threat to a dreadnought than they do to Termies (Go figure).

Last edited by Iron Angel; 09-12-09 at 02:56 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-09, 11:24 AM

Panzy's Flag is: Ireland

ALl u need is a Beefy CC squad to walk through his warriors. Hes can either pull units thought the portal or lay the pie template. Not both. Use this to your advantage. My buddies plays necrons, a much better list, and plays it extrmemly well. Im sure hes pulling through then rapid fiiring the hell out of what ever was in combat. All u need is power weapons, and Initiative. Get to the lord and drop him asap, thats his only saving grace against a fully powered squad. Once the lord is down just focus on warriors, he will not be standing back from powered hits. If u have las cannons u can either A) waste them into the monolith or B) start spaltting necron units and phase him out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode