Ard Boys Semi's - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-09, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Cerberus's Flag is: USA

Default Ard Boys Semi's

Ok, so I made it to the semi's going to see what you guys think about this list.

HQ:

Vulken: 190

Pedro: 175

Elites:

Dreadnought: 150
Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod

Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod

Sternguard: 250
5 x Veterans

Troops:

Tactical Squad: 235
5 x Marines
Melta Gun
Multi-Melta
Power Fist
Drop Pod

5 x Marines
Melta Gun
Multi-Melta
Power Fist
Drop Pod

5 x Marines
Flamer
Plasma Cannon
Power Fist
Rhino

5 x Marines
Flamer
Plasma Cannon
Power Fist
Rhino

Fast Attack:

Land Speeder: 70
Heavy Flamer
Multi-Melta

Heavy Flamer
Multi-Melta
Heavy:

Vindicator: 115

Land Raider: 250

As you can see I am still 25 Pnts. short. Thinking about Comi-Somethings for the drop pod Sgts., of puting it into the Stren as either combi's or a Power fist.

The Space Marine Commander said, "We fight with honor, and ferocious precision."
To which the Imperial Guard Commander replied, "We do it with Math."

6th Edition Record
Salamanders: W 0 - L 0 - D 0
Guard: W 0 - L 0 - D 0
GK Inquisition: W 0 - L 0 - D 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-09, 05:02 PM

Arcades Dolor's Flag is: USA

Combis for the sterns. Couple flamers in case a Horde army gets close. Few meltas in case some MEQs show up.

Personally I'd like to see a bit more unity of purpose with the Landspeeders, because I've never been a fan of mixing anti-infantry and anti-vehicle.

And for the love of the Emperor, replace the MMs in those tac squads. That one's more of a personal preference, but 24" range on a tactical squad's heavy weapon just sits wrong with me.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-09, 08:24 PM

Here's my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Ok, so I made it to the semi's going to see what you guys think about this list.

HQ:

Vulken: 190
With this build he's clearly the better HQ.
Pedro: 175
To me pedro seems unnecessary in this list. you can only choose one chapter tatic, and with all the melta/flamer in the list i'm betting it's vulkan. with only one sternguard squad, it just seems unnecessary to me to keep him. 4 scoring units should be plenty.
Elites:

Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod

Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod

Sternguard: 250
5 x Veterans
These guys should become 5 assault terminators with thunder hammers. stick vulkan with them in the land raider and watch your opponent cry.
Troops:

5 x Marines
Melta Gun
Multi-Melta
Power Fist
Drop Pod

5 x Marines
Melta Gun
Multi-Melta
Power Fist
Drop Pod

5 x Marines
Flamer
Plasma Cannon
Power Fist
Rhino

5 x Marines
Flamer
Plasma Cannon
Power Fist
Rhino
for the tatical squads, i'd stick to this layout. 1x meltagun, 1x missile launcher, 7x bolters, sergeant with combi-flamer and powerfist. your transport selection is good.
Fast Attack:

Heavy Flamer
Multi-Melta

Heavy Flamer
Multi-Melta
Love these guys, able to take on whatever they drop in on.
With the points you've gathered from the changes above, you've got room for another 3 land speeders of the same layout, and run them in 2 squadrons of 2 and 1 loner.
Heavy:

Land Raider: 250
these are fine.
As you can see I am still 25 Pnts. short. Thinking about Comi-Somethings for the drop pod Sgts., of puting it into the Stren as either combi's or a Power fist.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-09, 01:43 PM
Triangulum's Flag is: USA

Location: Lurking in the Shadows between the Darkness and the Light

I agree with the more speeders and different heavy weapons in the Tactical Squads, when you consider that they wont even be shooting when they get out of a vehicle, its not like you can drive up and melta someone, I would definitely go fore missile launchers or for 5 pts plasma cannons to give them some decent firepower against high toughness/ high save enemies.

Personally I think assault terminators would fill a good hole in this list, and be able to back up the dreads if you have to assault something nasty.

Personally I would take a Predator with full kit and buy the Assault terminators I mentioned a drop pod. It seems like that would get them where you needed to go quicker and give you a more powerful fire support unit.

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-09, 02:05 PM

Inquisitor Malaclypse's Flag is: Honduras

excellent advice from ninjaman120489. the only tweak i would offer is to keep the drop pod squads as they are, and change the PC to ML in the rhino tact squads.

if you take his advice, by dropping Pedro, taking assault termies, plus the 25 points you have left, that should leave you 250 points to play with.

you could easily do the LS load out previously suggested, or add another tactical squad with a few points left over.

though i prefer ninjaman120489 idea for the LS better, 60 space marines is nothing to sneeze at either.

good hunting.

Amid the Weeping and the Woe, Accursed Daemon Thou Remain And Rot; I Know Thee Filthy as Thou Art I Know...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-09, 06:35 PM

Andrakis's Flag is: USA

IIRC, your tactical squads are not legal. You have to have 10 tactical marines to take a heavy weapon in the squad, unless I'm missing something. If I'm right, I'd rethink your weapon choices.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-09, 07:35 PM

Its not '5x Marines' its '5x extra marines' so the squads are legal

I think you should keep the multimeltas in the podding tac squads. People are scared to get near it with heavy expensive vehicles and it creates a good way to control parts of the board versus mech armies, especially with Vulkan.

And Pedro has got to go in my opinion as well--turn him into assault termies
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-09, 08:28 PM

Pedro should be dropped, follow the excellent suggestions of everybody else and replace him with some assault termies.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-09, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Cerberus's Flag is: USA

Well thanks for all the replies guys. Also sorry about the funny way I posted the Tac Sqds. I copied them over from a word file while at work and wasn't paying attention. I can't believe I forgot that Pedro only make stern scoring if you take his chapter tactics. Thanks for making me remember

Originally I ran this list with Lysander and 5 Th&SS assault termys. In two games they just didn't do it for me. They were to slow after they left the Land Raider or even worse it was immobilized.

Thatís why I added the Stern. The only games I have lost with this list is to high toughness armies (Nidz and Undead Eldar), and hoped that the wounding on 2+ would help out in this department. After all the postings I think I might add back in the Termy's, but I might take 1 or 2 lightning claws this time. Also I think I might try Cassius with them this time. On another note what do you guys think about keeping the stern and taking a librarian. I could also leave out the 2nd HQ and take another Vindy.

On the remarks of adding more speeders, this is all I'm going to be able to field as the only other model I own is a typhoon. Though with kill point being in effect 2/3 of the next round scenarios I might join them into one squad to lower the number of kill point I can give up.

Again thanks for the replies, and let me know what you guys think about the other stuff I mentioned.

The Space Marine Commander said, "We fight with honor, and ferocious precision."
To which the Imperial Guard Commander replied, "We do it with Math."

6th Edition Record
Salamanders: W 0 - L 0 - D 0
Guard: W 0 - L 0 - D 0
GK Inquisition: W 0 - L 0 - D 0
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-09, 03:46 AM

Inquisitor Malaclypse's Flag is: Honduras

since you have 25 points left why not use Lysander instead of Pedro and drop pod him with the Stern Guard?

IIRC, there is nothing that says a termie figure can't ride in a drop pod, and the squad could benefit from Lysander's bolter drill.

with him in the squad most players may think twice about charging your Stern Guard...

just a thought.

BTW, i have an extra speeder you can borrow if you need it. it will have to be converted to have the melta/flamer combo, but i don't mind if you decide you want to use it.

good hunting.

Amid the Weeping and the Woe, Accursed Daemon Thou Remain And Rot; I Know Thee Filthy as Thou Art I Know...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode