Anti Orks for this Weekend 2000 - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Triangulum's Flag is: USA

Location: Lurking in the Shadows between the Darkness and the Light

Just for the record by above average we are talking at least 20 nobz with painboyz in all the squads all toting fists plus Maddok Grotznik and a pretty tooled up warboss.

@ Squirrel, I completely disagree with you on combat squads, if its annihilation they are useless, but otherwise they are a valuable tool to split fire, use heavy weapons effectively and not tie a squad to a single role, plus it doubles the amount of scoring units and enables marines to have both a gunline and a scoring element with a decent chance of success.

A crusader, does not however have deepstrike or a decent assault capability, and thus would not fulfill the role intentioned for that unit (as can be read in the plan under the list and in previous comments)

I did consider taking a chaplain, but I am fighting S8 or 10 weapons in this game from all the nobz and the warboss so I took a character who wouldnt die the first time he got hit and who had an instant kill vs the warboss and Grotsnik. Again, covered in the analysis.

The Predators are keeping the sponsons, its 60 pts for 2 more S9 lascannons, it would be more expensive to get another tank or a 2 lascannons in a devestator squad, so they are staying.

I also answered the why plasma question before, and its pretty simple,
1- 2+ to wound v all orks
2- as the MAJORITY of his army has feel no pain I need weapons that ignore it
3- Its not really an option aside from the plasma cannons which are the most effective v orks of any heavy weapon in my opinion because of the above.

Finally, while it is your right to say you think it is a bad anti ork list, the idea is to try to make it better, and that was useless. Thanks for your time, but next time, read the whole thread first.

@ Creon,

First you calculated the stats well against the normal termis which if he turns a mob around to assault, I will be overjoyed.

And the thing is, I am fine with the fact that my Assault Terminators will lose because its several assault phases worth of an incredably powerful unit being held up, and just FYI the Termis will be fighting the Nobz w Claws, not the boyz, I am pretty confident that I can cut them down to size quick enough as the squads are actually pretty runty given the amount of pts sunk into the 30 mobs, battle wagons and 2 expensive ICs (looking at my ork dex thats at least 250 pts for HQ and 900 for Elites and 270 for Battlewagons, so hes playing around 580 pts worth of orks and they are all in transports to start the game) and that means right about 60 orks total, enough for 15 marines to tie up after at least 20 of them get killed by conservative shooting only with plasma weaponry (seeing as 1 plasma cannon shot can easily kill 5 boyz). So if I can tie up one of his Characters and a Nobz squad for a turn or 2 and do even kill the conservative number of nobz, its worth it.

By my math 1 Nob squad (w the warboss) vs my Termis works as follows, I am giving us the charge as I will probably be assaulting the a unit that just crawled out of a transport something else killed.

1st Painboy- 3 Attacks, 2 hits, 1 wound, saved by armour
Da Orks
Nobz- 30 Attacks, 15 hits, 13 wounds, 5 wounds casalties, assuming no wasted wounds after allocation
Warboss- 4 Attacks, 3 hits, 3 wounds, 1 casualty

Lysander et al
Terminators- 30 Attacks, 15 Hits, 12 wounds, 12 Casualties
Lysander- 4 Attacks, 3 hits, 3 wounds, 3 casualties

taking instant death into accound, lysander as an eternal warrior should walk away with a wound as the only survivor of the conflict as all the nobz were instant killed and enough attacks got through to the warboss that whether he was in the unit, or fighting lysander, he should die all the same (fist of dorn instant kills him if he fights lysander)

For the pts thats a 90 pt warboss and about 450 pts of nobz dead vs 200 pts of terminators. Even if Lysander is killed too, its still only a 400 pt loss meaning the marines come out 140 pts ahead in the battle.

If they get the charge, the marines still kill alot of orks, just it works out to lysander fighting 3 nobz and the warboss the next turn ( I wont go through the math on it)

So all told, I am quite fine about either unit of Nobz fighting my terminators, because quite frankly by the end of it, there are few enough of them walking away to be engaged by my other units.

I normally hate taking terminators, but this is one time when they could be usefull.

I would really appreciate any responses to the questions at the bottom of my last post.

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 05:06 AM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I agree with your math *IF* he doesn't give the WAAAGH banner to his Nobz. If he does, you're looking at 15% more hits/wounds total. Since he's hitting on 3s not on 4s. It's late, I'll look at the other stuff later tomorrow.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I dont know about any banners, I know that he is pretty light on upgrades though he made us play 2050 instead of 2000 to but 1 thing for 2 squads, so it might well be a wagh banner, or cybork bodies for the nobz

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 01:36 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

If he's no cybork bodies, he's plasma meat, for sure. The WAAAGH banner is only 15 points, Gives +1 WS.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Then thats probably what he was buying, even if he took no other upgrades, he could only afford 1 squad of cybork bodies to begin with.

And yes, orks do roast rather nicely, hence the plasma cannons instead of missile launchers.

Is cybork just an invul save or does it confer immune to instant death too?

post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 03:32 PM

davespil's Flag is: USA

Cybork body just gives a 5+ invul save, no immune to instant death rule.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 03:54 PM

The Thunder of KayVaan's Flag is: United Kingdom

just to say with get hot! blast weapons you roll a die BEFORE you fire to see if it gets hot. if it does he weapons does NOT shoot and the model takes a S4 wound. if it doesn't carry on like a normally blast weapon.

Index Astartes: The Forgotten Hunters
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums ...ad.php?t=75470
"Don't forget to check your teabag for pockets of coffee"
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

We established that back on page 2, but thanks for pointing it out. Just for the record though, its not a S4 hit, its 1 wound regardless of toughness, with normal armor or invul saves allowed

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Right well, if anyone has any last minute thoughts below is the list I am going to use. I might get around to writing a battle report, maybe not, if you care I will link it to this. Anyway here goes

Troops 1085

Tactical Squad 1
10 Marines, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon, Combi Plasma, Teleport Homer
Razorback
Model, TL Heavy Bolters

Tactical Squad 2
Razorback
Model, TL Heavy Bolters

Tactical Squad 3

Tactical Squad 4
10 Marines, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon, Combi Plasma

Tactical Squad 5
10 Marines, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon, Combi Plasma

Elites 400

Terminator CC Squad 1
5 Marines, TH SS

Terminator CC Squad 2
5 Marines, TH SS

Fast Attack 120

Land Speeder Squadron
2 Models, 2 Multimeltas

HQ 200

Darnath Lysander

Heavy Support 260

Predator 1
Model, TL Lascannon, Lascannon Sponsons

Predator 2
Model, TL Lascannon, Lascannon Sponsons

I figure with this configuration, I can use the terminators either to spearhead the assault on an enemy objective or to engage both squads of Nobz in CC

post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 07:24 PM

Rednekgunner's Flag is: USA

something to think about, if you stick a razorback squad out as bait, then use the termies to counter assault. (that way you get the most attacks) Also have you considered 1 or 2 pair of LC in the terminator cc squads? It would help you kill off a few boyz at iniative 4, but that is a minor suggestion. To answer your question earlier about Lysander. I think you would be better served with a chaplain in terminator armor. I love the razorbacks they sould help you thin down the orks. could you find a way to get one more? if not no biggie. Good luck purging the xenos scum.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode