Anti Orks for this Weekend 2000 - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-22-09, 05:37 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I still think 5 TH/SS terminators would give your assault some spine. If you could put them in a LR/C I think you'd be golden. a 3+ INV is not to be laughed at.

All "Gets hot!" weapons roll for overheat. If they are pattern weapons, they roll a "Gets hot!" dice, and on a 1 they take a wound. MRB, Pg 31.

Replace the Predator #3 with a LR/Redeemer. Use it to transport The Sternguard and your ICs. I'd change the sternguard to 1 unit of 10. You can Combat Squad it later if necessary. I realize you seem to be in a situation where your opponent is being very strict on WSIWYG. Do you have the ability to equip your Sternguard with special weapons? 7 Combiflamers and 2 flamers or heavy Flamers come to mind. If not, use what you can. Sternguard not using their special weapons ability are losing some of their "special"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-22-09, 05:55 PM

Crimson_Chin's Flag is: USA

Things that I see on that list who have a good chance of putting out the hurt against mechanized Orks:

LS typhoons
LR crusader
Dreads
Terminators

You currently aren't running any of these options. I personally don't understand why you are so set on sternguard, their efficiency peaks against horde lists who rely on cover and against other marines.

You need to understand something - tactical marines are NOT EFFICIENT. Yes, they can score. But taking 6 squads is not just overkill, it's a waste.

If I could make only one change to your list, it would getting rid of the damn chapter master and putting a chaplain in his place. But if I could make 2 changes, I'd toss the sternguard and a squad of marines, and put in TH/SS termies and a LRC. They can take it as a dedicated transport.

This is what I KNOW, for certain. Looted wagons are not great transports. They only have front armor 11 IIRC. Battlewagons will give you trouble, but only until they get close. So, let's play with that.

With your current predators, you *should* be popping at least 2 transports a turn. The marines should get another 1 or two.

You can put out a decent amount of static firepower with that setup. Then whatever gets past that, you put the TH/SS termies towards. With the chaplain, they should crush squads of Nobs on the charge, which you should be getting since 12"+ 2" +6" means 20" charge range.

They are, however, also a suicide squad. Please, trust me, leave the rest of your list alone if you want to but if you throw this unit in their way they will have to put enough into killing it that their momentum will be shot. If you don't put something in the way all your tacticals will be gone by turn 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
shocking, they do exactly what the codex says they do, who would of thought
lol.

WIP Thread
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-22-09, 05:57 PM

Rednekgunner's Flag is: USA

I have a few suggestions. First, tri las preds are worthless. They are expensive (almost 200 points each) I like using Dakka Preds for orks. The ability to spray an area with 2 AC and 6 HB shots is huge. Second, flamers are anti-ork as you can get. (that and they dont fry you) Here is a list I just threw together for you to look at: (i went off of what you have)

HQ: Pedro (use counts as)
Elite:
2x10 man Sternguard (x1 CM, x1 CF, x1 CP) Sgt w/CM, PW

Troops:
2x10 man tac squad w/flamer, PC. Sgt w/PW, BP

Fast:
2xLandspeeder typhoon
3xLandspeeder tornado

Heavy:
2xPredators AC, HB
LRC

Ideally I would say use a vindicator, but a LRC is a solid anti-ork weapon also.

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-22-09, 06:23 PM

davespil's Flag is: USA

As an Ork player I hate transports. I want to assault troops all game, but when my mobs get up to a transport, they can only assault it. Not the troops inside. The transport usually blows up and kills 5-10 Orks and the troops pop out, drop flamer templates and assault me.

Orks are weaker when they are assaulted. They have an Initiative of 2 (though they will almost never have Initative higher then Marines) and a Str of 3 (wounds Marines on a 5+ instead of 4). If you could get a few of those razorbacks built, even 2-3 as rhinos it will make a huge difference in the game. Also taking the redeemer and the crusader would be a good idea. Assault Marines deepstriking and taking out any big gunz would work, possibly dropping flame templates as well. Make sure they don't get charged and that they don't attack too big a group of orks. You have to roll 4 and 4 again to wound one, though they are very unlikely to save.

The lascannoned predators need to go, replace one or two with the HB and auto-cannons like said before by someone else. I LOVE it when people fire lascannons at my orks!

A unit of devestators with HB would be feesible, and resonably cheap.

What kind of list does your friend run? Tell him to stop being such a d-bag about the WYSIWYG, its only a friendly game.

Last edited by davespil; 07-22-09 at 06:29 PM.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Triangulum's Flag is: USA

Location: Lurking in the Shadows between the Darkness and the Light

Thanks, I am going to try to work that into a list, and if anyone would care to peruse it, I will put it up later tonight or tomorrow.

Just 4 quick things

1- Good catch on the Plasma Cannons, that could have really come back to bite me

2- The trip Las predators are for getting through high front armor values like the ones on the battle wagons that I now know he will be taking 3 of with 20 boyz in each for 130 pts total, they were cheaper than a LC dev squad each and thus I took em, if you think there is a better way to deal with really heavy vehicles as marines, I could really use it cause I hate taking the things to be honest, they really dont fit with the army.

3- If I took Terminators as a throw away unit, should I deep strike them or keep em in the gunline?

4- The reason they are being obnoxious about it is because my local GW keeps track of who the 40k champion is, and if I beat him, I win so as a result of people pulling really sketchy shit to try to get an admittedly lame "honor" we have to use fully painted and based, formal army list, WYSIWYG models and be supervised by an objective person if rules come up in dispute.

Again thanks for the help, I appreciate any other suggestions.

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 03:10 AM

Sqwerlpunk's Flag is: USA

Melta weaponry will always be your answer to AV14 in 5th edition. It's just necessary. Lascannons excel at AV12 or less, and can reasonably take on AV13, but AV14 is just plain difficult for them.

Has the Infiltrate USR {NTGU}
>>Sqwerl's Tactical Squads<<

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 03:24 AM

Arcades Dolor's Flag is: USA

Good call. I keep forgetting glances don't kill vehicles any more.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 03:42 AM

Glances still kill vehicles if they are ap1 . That's why i'm a big fan of throw away land speeders with MM.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 04:21 AM

Rednekgunner's Flag is: USA

I would never suggest using terminators as a throw away unit. 200+ points is a waste to toss away. One thing to consider is if you deep strike anywhere near orks you are going to be assaulted and 5 termies will go down like a cheap date on prom night. Then again that is just my opinion. FYI battle wagons are not tough to take out. a side shot with an AC will punch it every time.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 05:20 AM

Crimson_Chin's Flag is: USA

Redneck, everything you send into assault against orks ends up becoming a throwaway unit -_-.

Terminators stay on foot, or in a LRC if you can. Relying on deep strike is VERY risky, especially in a crowded game, which this looks like it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
shocking, they do exactly what the codex says they do, who would of thought
lol.

WIP Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode