Model, TL Lascannon, Sponson Lascannons
Predator 2
Predator 3

390 pts

Total 2500 pts even.

So, da plan

1- Assault Marines deploy as far forward as possible (in cover) w chaplain, and attack. The combat squads consisting of the 6 srgs and 6 plasma guns wait a turn (the master shoots his bombardment) and then come at em mopping up and claiming objectives w the chapter master.

2- Combat squads w plasma cannons deploy in cover ~12" into the board, right on any objectives, the predators deploy wherever on the flanks they can have cover and a clear field of fire. These squads shell any attacking infantry and light vehicles as well as give the advancing marines supporting fire. The predators of course deal with any heavy armor by taking shots at the hopefully weaker side armor of any dangerous vehicles. If confronted by tank hunting infantry, just hope that plasma cannon support fire can keep it under control.

Any feedback, and or suggestions would be welcome. I hit a lot of tau, guard, and orks but I ideally want a take all comers list.

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-09, 04:35 PM

Strange Dude's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd consider ditching one tac squad and using the points to get transports for the rest. Past that I'll leave to someone else I'm used to 1500 lists and this is a little outta my comfort zone.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-09, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Triangulum's Flag is: USA

Location: Lurking in the Shadows between the Darkness and the Light

I originally had this list with the second assault squad at 5 men and no chaplain and had razorbacks for every squad, but it seemed like a bigger wave advancing along with a character to draw fire and do some damage would be more useful since most games revolve around objectives. Plus destroyed vehicles just tend to dump my marines into CC and block fire support from the plasma cannons.

That said, its a decent idea to lose a tac squad, as there are a lot of them.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-09, 07:46 PM

I think all those footslogging tac squads will suffer immensely from templates especially since you face a lot of guard.

Three predators will cover every sight line so you probably won't have to move, making the sponsons a good deal. Awesome!

I guess the only thing I would definitely do is take away the power weapon and meltabombs in each Assault Squad and spend 5 more points each for three power fists. You can't use meltabombs against monstrous creatures or crisis suits, and you only get one attack with them, making it hard to hit moving vehicles. You all have krak grenades too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-09, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I thought about that, I am pretty sure he will go for the assault squads first, and I am leaving the tactical wave in heavy cover for a turn. I am going to take the risk and jump them into dangerous terrain if necissary, behind a building if possible. This should make him concentrate on shelling the assault marines, meanwhile I will get the tac squads to the cover where they will form a firebase to fight the guard. If we were playing on a completely open table, I would take razorbacks, but we almost always play CoD so its not really worth it. Plus he has 3 LR Vanquishers and only 2 standard LR so as it is, his template strength is pretty much not there.

And if I put em in the right place, I will only be offering Front Armour shots with a cover save.

I thought about that, but I am not a huge fan of power fists, I hate the models of them and I dont really like the idea of losing my Initiative and extra attacks, especially because my assault squads usually wind up being an entirely expendable element. I put in melta bombs to act as a back up to my predators when I am fighting Tau and a way to be a threat to IG tanks. I never have actually had to use them in a game. I usually use them to tie up Tau aircav when they disembark, or hunt crisis suits, in which case I like my initiative bonus, cause there is a good chance I can actually wipe out the suit team if I get my 31 attacks on the charge before they hit back. Vs orks, my strength is just fine and against guard the additional attacks always seem like the way to go. I just dont see the point in limiting one part of CC for a partial increase in another, especially because I would have NO way of effectively threatening the heaviest of vehicles.

Any other suggestions?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-09, 08:15 AM

Zamgek's Flag is: USA

1st time and time again I have noticed, Plasma gets you killed, I would field something else.

2 for what you are spending on 2 HQs and buffing up a chapter commander with lots of points I would field Lysander for 200pts 2+ armor 3+ invul and is the cheapest SM HQ with Eternal warrior. (loose the plasma on the chaplain and maybe take a combimelta so you can pop the armor then charge what was inside)

3 Lose the sponsons on the predators you should be moving 6 inches and firing the twinlinked Las every turn to keep out of range of enemy charges longer

4 this is more of an up to you, drop a squad or something to field a dreadnought that you can stick in a drop pod and tie up your enemy for a round or 2. To give your assault marines time to get across the field. or use the pts saved from not using lascannon sponsons.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-09, 06:14 PM
ChrisW's Flag is: Canada

wow lots of plasma, are you a Dark Angels player :D

seriously though, the plasma cannons are a good option but all the other plasma will get the boys killed. the extra punch will come in handy when holding an objective, but no enemy will stop within your rapid fire range. there are relatively little noobs in a tourny at that point level.

the tac squads are lacking in mobility. when i did a psudo company list that ended up being mainly five tac squads + two dev squads & a captain, i found that i was very slow moving and quite exposed. the tacs will have to be able to take objectives, they will need rhinos. rhinos also help cruse up and do a drive-by. poping out and rapid firing usually gets a tau squad on the run...

the assault squads are a nice touch, get them stuck in ASAP.

the preds..... thats a lot of lascannon love. make one a lascannon pillbox and the other 2 dakka preds to help with anti-infantry. you have a few melta bombs spread about to help the anti-tank.

with a few tweeks should be fun. if your playing it with apoc you will see that dinner plate often dropping on your slow moving tacs.... just a heads up as it would be what i'd do.

-Chris

-Chris
I've tied more than i've won and still had fun every time I've lost

Chaos Undivided
Daemons
Red Scorpions

Last edited by ChrisW; 07-16-09 at 06:17 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-09, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

@ Zamgek
1- I take plasma weapons because unlike most other special weapons available to marines, they will be able to fire at least twice before the enemy hits the lines, and they pretty much do in what they hit, even crisis suits and medium nids. I have enough models kitted with meltaguns and combimeltas that I could swap em out if needs be, but I really like plasma and I dont lose to many men to it most of the time.
2- He's only 180, and thats cause I gave him the RB and MBs to round out pts, plus the main reason I wanted him instead of another chaplain, or captain to lead the charge, was the ability to throw a good sized template at the core of an enemy army on the first turn.
3- I tend to find that If I place them well in cover on the flanks, I dont ever really move the predators, and I keep plasma cannons near em to make infantry think twice. Good thought though, they might be more use after the first turn or two if they were more mobile.
4- I really only like dreadnoughts as supplemental fire support, to me they dont put out enough attacks to make it worth kitting them for CC, especially considering how weak they are vs MC s. If I dropped the sponsons, I would probably upgrade my assault squads to vanguard veterans with the pts for the extra attacks and deep strike charge.

@ChrisW
1- No, the backstory for the chapter is that they are the remnants of the Soul Drinkers chapter after they got purged by the inquisition, as part of their pennatant crusade, they had to kill a Greater Daemon attacking the forge world Ryza, they succeeded, but only 13 marines survived (the 10 captains plus two librarians and a Chaplain). In thanks Ryza supplied the "new" soul drinkers with their ships and equipment, which of course meant LOTS of plasma. (I also just like plasma weapons, I take lots of risks with my troops, like I jump and/or DS my assault squads into terrain alot because it usually is less dangerous than a turn in the open. Even all my guard squads pack plasma guns)
2- The plasma combi plasma squads will be objective takers, so they are probably going to either fire their shots when advancing on a position weakened by assault marines or taking the 24" shot against counter attackers. Alot of people in our area use terminators or other DSing troops as their counterstrike against embattled objectives, and I like the idea of making em bathe in plasma before they can get into CC with my marines.
3- My original list had them all with transports, but they kept getting killed and blocking my fire lanes, it seems like if I use cover well, they get where they are going most of the time. Do you think it would be worth upgrading the razorbacks at all, or just keep the HBs?
4- Yeah AMs only seem to work well in pretty decent numbers.
5- The lascannons are mainly a heg against guard and Tau, I am relying on the plasma cannons and bolters for antiinfantry work. When do you think the AC/HB loadout would be more useful?
7- I play guard in apocalypse, and I definitely have fun dropping baneblade templates onto people's companies of marines.

Thanks for the help, any other ideas?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-09, 01:39 AM

Commissars cobbler's Flag is: Australia

Little problem with your story there, mate.

Inquisition purged the Soul Drinkers once, and they got pantsed again by a greater daemon. With no gene-seed and no apothecaries having survived how do you expect they would re-build a chapter??

That having been said I think you need some mobility- so get some Rhinos in there!

-Commissars Cobbler

I can only wonder how the hell the Emperor foresaw that this was the job I was destined to do for the rest of my life. I'm so sick of fixing boots....

- Commissars Cobbler
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-09, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

When did the Inquisition Purge them, they fought the inquisition (or its agents) a bunch of times and last we heard about 100 of them got rounded up for terra by the Imperial fists. In my story, the ones that are left (only 10) are the ones that made it out of that and a suicide mission to kill a Daemon on Ryza alive. Marine Chapters tend to be started by the Mechanicus, who grow 1000 sets of organs and provision a chapter with its weapons, then a few of the chapter whose gene seed is used are tasked to lead the new chapter. Since they still had gene seed from before the heresy being stored and they still had a couple of marines left, it seems reasonable that the chapter could very well be rebuilt with only a couple of survivors from the old chapter in leadership positions.

Would you use rhinos or razorbacks, because it seems like if I combat squaded the tac squads, I would want the plasma cannons firing consistantly, and since a 5 man squad can fit in a razorback, it just seems like I am getting an armed transport that fits my needs for the price of an unarmed one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode