Beginner army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-09, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Brwrr's Flag is: USA

Default Beginner army

Hi, guys! I tried to get into 40k about 10 years ago but it never happened (didn't know people and no car). Now I found all my stuff and am interested in playing (have car). I don't want to spend a lot of money on it at the moment but do have enough to begin playing. I am interested in adding an Assault on Black Reach to my list in a little while. For now these are the models I have to work with:

28 Marines
-3 with Flamers
-3 with Missile Launchers
-1 with Powerfist
-2 with Chainsword and Bolt Pistols

5 Terminators
-1 with Powersword and Heavy Flamer
-4 with Powerfists and Storm Bolters

2 Land speeders
-options for 2 Heavy Bolters and/or 2 Heavy Flamers

3 Bikes
-Basic loadout I think (haven't put them together yet)

I have enough right now for 500 and 1000 point armies so that's what I'll try for. Also, I don't know what kinds of games or armies I will be playing. Basic idea right now for lists are:

Captain w/Powerfist
5 Terminators w/Heavy Flamer
10 Tactical Squad w/Flamer and Missile Launcher

I heard that having 2 Tactical Squads would be better but then I'd have about 35 points left over though I suppose I could get some upgrades with that. Would that be better?

Captain w/Powerfist
35 Points of upgrades. Which ones?

Captain w/Powerfist
5 Terminators w/Heavy Flamer
5 Sternguard Veteran Squad
2 Land Speeder w/Heavy Bolter
3 Bike Squad
15 points for upgrades of sergeants, captain, or Land Speeder?

I know I don't have many options right now but any suggestions would be appreciated. Again, I want to get Assault on Black Reach so that would add 1 captain, 10 marines, 5 terminators, and a dreadnought which would increase my options but not for a couple weeks. Low $ models might be considered as well. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-09, 06:38 PM

usa_supersonic's Flag is: Romania

how about a battle force?It will give you a rhino first of all and you need it....and you allready have an hq...for now till you have 2000points I would concetrate on troops elites etc.

You need at least on hq and 2 troops-for a game...at least in the game rules

35 points? A RHINO ..or put a auxiliary missle launcher on your captain and a plasma pistol + some melta bombs
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-09, 06:48 PM

Gubnutz's Flag is: USA

I agree that your best bet is to go with the HQ and 2 Troop slots that you need to play then build from there. IMO it is best to build with the things that you will need in every game then you have a soild core to build on from there.

rhino seems like a good idea. You talk about low $ are you looking to spend right now or just asking for advice on using what you have already? As it stands I think that going with 2 tac Squads and the captain with a few upgrades is your best bet then adding the Rhino that has been suggested. Youmight be able to drop a marine or 2 from a squad then take the 35 you already have and get a SPeeder in there to add some speed to your list as well as some Firepower. Plus you already have the speeder so no spending has to happen.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

Let them hate as long as they fear.

http://gubnutz.livejournal.com/ Check out my Live Journal

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-09, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Hmm...maybe I can get Assault on Black Reach and a Battle Force... Then I'd have a Rhino for 500 point battles and lots more options for 1000.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-09, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok so including those sets my lists look something like this:

Captain w/ Powerfist
Tactical Squad x10 w/ Flamer & Missile Launcher
Rhino

Captain w/ Powersword & Meltabombs
Terminator x5
Dreadnought
Assault Squad x5
Landspeeder x2 w/ Heavy Bolters
Rhino

Look good? Changes?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 02:53 AM

So will the Captain be slogging it in the 500 point list? I ask because it seems a shame to have his Powerfist goodness lost on footslogging across the board. would seem that the Tac Squad without rhino would be a firebase of sorts and will be able to lay down some covering fire with Bolters and ML and get up close with the flamer if needed.

The Rhino Squad will of course be faster and perhaps with it being 9 man the captain could hitch a ride. Points leftover would allow for some upgrades I guess like a plasma pistol for the Captain, not sure on the points just thinking out loud.

Same on the 1000 point version. Who will the captain be running with? 1 less marine and he can ride in the Rhino or perhaps give him a Jump Pack to run with the AM squad those meltas will be nice to jump in and tag vehicles and the like.

Other than that I think you have some solid builds and they allow for tactical felxibility and solid foundation for larger games if you want to grow.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 03:48 AM

I always buy the boxed sets for the marine troops that come with them and sell the rest (nids and orks). They are good deals - the Macragge set came with 5 termies and a dreadnought, which you couldn't get for the 30 bucks or so I spent altogether (hint, buy the boxed set with an ork enthusiast and let him have the other half...)

I got the Marine Battleforce (91$)

the ravenwing boxed set (which is good at about 70 locally)

a squad of DA veterans (25)

scouts (22)

A vindicator (30)

and various other purchases over the years, all told about 350 bucks on SM forces - I have all summer to finish painting them. A good project but you're right the GW games can get expensive

Good luck
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I played my first game last night and got killed. But I learned a lot about how the game works and how I might focus my army more. AP vs marines! ;)

I bought Assault on Black Reach so I should have a Dreadnought, Captain, 5 more terminators and 10 more marines to work with. Think I might get some weapons next: plasma guns, multi-meltas etc for use on the marines I just got as well as making the land speeders tornadoes with multi-meltas.

Edit: Wow! Multi-melta parts are expensive/hard to find. Maybe I'll have to go another route.

Last edited by Brwrr; 07-09-09 at 07:25 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 07:38 PM

Sqwerlpunk's Flag is: USA

Multi-Meltas are also really bad on Infantry, so that's a good thing!

Has the Infiltrate USR {NTGU}
>>Sqwerl's Tactical Squads<<

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 09:53 PM

Well I guess if you learned something then not a total wash. I have always liked the meltagun, though i have not had a lot of EXp with the Multi melta. Plasma cannon was always a solid performer when i played several years ago though this might have changed. I would think that Melta guns would allow you to deal with ARM while still being able to move around and this seems to be a plus.

What did you face? What did you end up fielding? I am interested as I am getting back into 40K after several years and have picked Marines as my army of choice. Will be going Salamanders but watching your progress will be helpful to me as well.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode