Fury of the Ancient Slamander - 1850 Drop Army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Default Fury of the Ancient Slamander - 1850 Drop Army

Space Marine 1,850 point army list – Fury of the Ancient Salamander
1,850 total

HQ: 300
Forgefather Vulkan He’Stan:
character total: 190

Master of the Forge: combi-flamer
character total: 110

Elites: 520
Sternguard Veterans: meltagun + combi-melta x4
squad total(5): 150
Drop pod: base 35
transport total: 35

Ironclad Dreadnought: heavy flamer + heavy flamer
vehicle total: 150

Dreadnought: heavy flamer + multi-melta
vehicle total: 115

Troops: 580
Tactical Squad: marines x5 80 + flamer + sergeant with power fist and bolt pistol
squad total(10): 195

Scout Squad: base 75 + scouts x5 65 + camo cloak x10 30 + sniper rifle x10
squad total(10): 170

Tactical Squad: marines x5 + lascannon + flamer + sergeant with chainsword and bolt pistol
squad total(10): 180

Heavy Support: 450

Vulkan (who makes all these lovely multi-meltas, meltas, flamers, and heavy flamers twin-linked) and the master of the forge go with the tactical squad in their drop pod, and will probably stay in reserve in any objectives mission to land and burn anyone off their objective . Basically turn 1 whatever I need to come down will, such as the sternguard for killing vehicles, MCs, nob bikers, etc. or the double flamer ironclad and the tac squad with vulkan and the master of the forge (with 1 heavy flamer and 3 flamer templates) for killing infantry (in annihilation). Otherwise they can just burn whoever is on their objective off it. The heavy flamer/multi-melta dreads just serve double duty, some coming down in the first wave, some later, and can be thrown at infantry or vehicles with equal proficiency. The scouts and the walking tac squad will probably be held in reserve and provide fire support or sit on my objective if I'm not too worried about my opponent's killing them before my pods start coming down. The scouts, if they sit in ruins reinforced by my master of the forge, will have their 2+ cover save and should be a great help against MCs. The lascannon tac squad is pretty much there to provide fire support and help defend the scouts in their cover or run for an objective or two of their own to grab (or both).

This army does have 11 twin-linked flame templates (most of which are heavy flamers) and 9 melta weapons that basically go wherever I want them to. Messing up royally some combination of 4 vehicles or infantry squads on turn 1 should be good. I realize that if my opponent reserves everything I'm in for a tougher go of it but that puts them at a great disadvantage as well and basically means that I'd drop the 4 dreads arrayed across the center of the board within charge or at least move and flame of most of the space my opponent would have to bring things in. There are a lot of kill points here though (18, as many as 21) but the goal here is to cripple the opponent's army in a swift decisive series of strikes, not to fight a war of attrition. Unless they're just bristling with melta guns I'm not too worried about losing all 12 vehicles.

Well, I don't have much experience playing marines but I do like playing a dreadnought army now and then (it's probably my favorite 40k model) but it's an idea, anyway. Whatcha think? Could this have any success?

Last edited by Culler; 06-22-09 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 06:06 PM

umm 6 dreads are amazing, and it looks like you captured the true spirit of the salamanders, it looks like a solid army, sure to burn the impurity from the field

Twinkie Fishing XD

The Joker: You just couldn't let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible aren't you? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness, and I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 08:28 PM

Ummmm, that scout unit doesn't have have a combi-flamer...

Seriously, the Vulkan/MOF combo is scary, 30 troops figures, many vehicles,
Seem like Telion would be good for removing Power Klaws from Ork mobs.
Not too much you could get rid of though.

Good list, but lots of moolah

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlb View Post
Ummmm, that scout unit doesn't have have a combi-flamer...

Seriously, the Vulkan/MOF combo is scary, 30 troops figures, many vehicles,
Seem like Telion would be good for removing Power Klaws from Ork mobs.
Not too much you could get rid of though.

Good list, but lots of moolah
I suppose I could take out some scouts to put Telion in, but I'm a bit short on scoring units as is and I'd like my scouts to be able to take a beating. Taking 4 scouts out for Telion and a missile launcher seems good to use his BS of 6 for some precision krak shots for voice of experience as well as taking out characters with eye of vengeance and his boltgun. It would definitely be a counts-as situation though. I don't believe in mixing characters from different chapter together. Probably the same model but with the characteristic black skin of the salamanders and proper chapter colors.

As far as the moolah goes once I get my Orks where I want them I'm thinking I'll slowly build up to this full list, probably hanging out from 750 points to 1000 for a while for quick games. The dreads should be cheap though since I can mostly use the Black Reach dreadnoughts which go for less than 20$ each.

Last edited by Culler; 06-22-09 at 09:38 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 09:50 PM

Vulkan...now theres a surprise...

hmm, for 1850 points, im entirely convinced 3 troops is enough.

not sure what you'd wish to drop for another troop choice however..as its pretty solid other than im not to happy with only 3 choices...:/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode