1500 point tourney list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-09, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Default 1500 point tourney list

This is a recent version of my list that I've had some success with. The basic plan is to give my opponent too many threats all at once by dropping a tactical squad and lysander on an objective while having the vindicators advance and blow stuff up. The other tactical squads go for other objectives and the typhoons shoot things. Scouts get up to mischief either by scouting forward or outflanking in their storm.

Lysander 200

Tactical squad
5 Extra marines
Melta gun
Power Fist
Multi melta
Combi-flamer
Drop pod 245

Tactical squad
5 Extra marines
Melta gun
Power Fist
Plasma Cannon
Rhino 240

Tactical squad
5 Extra marines
Melta gun
Power Fist
Missile Launcher
Combi-flamer
Rhino 245

Scout Squad
Power Fist 100

Land Speeder Storm
Hvy flamer 60

Vindicator 115

Vindicator 115

Land Speeder
Typhoon Missile Launcher 90

Land Speeder

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-09, 11:18 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well I was gonna say that Lysander couldnt go in a drop pod because he has terminator armour and only SW termies can do that... but Im not gonna. I read throught the book and there is nothing stopping terminator models from using drop pods except that there is no allowance for the elite squads to get one... go ICs

TBH I'm not sure about how I feel about this list- its a nice list and should work well but I get the feeling that its a little fragile. I've found playing against a few multi-vindi armies that if you get a few lucky shots early on they tend to crumble:
If you dont have first turn then I'm guessing you'll outflank the storm- its just too fragile to let people shoot at it (I normally assume mine will die turn 1).

I think your idea of having too many targets to fire at wont quite work- there is quite a clear hierarcy or things the enemy must target- the vindicators are first (and seeing as how 5/6 glance/pen results stop them from firing keeping them out of the battle may not be as hard as you think), then there is Lysander and unit... the other tac squads and the typhoon would rank a very distant 4th and 5th (they are painful but not gamewinners)- the scouts I would assume wouldnt be on the board or would already be in combat so they dont really need to be worried about.

I woluld think about switching the typhoons over to tornados. HF/MM combo would mean they can move 12" and worry everybody and would also mean that if they are advancing foward the enemy really cant ignore them- you could have 2/3 speeder, 2 tanks and a drop squad all worrying the enemy turn 1-2 with tacs there for back-up late game.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-09, 02:24 PM

Inquisitor Malaclypse's Flag is: Honduras

this is viable, but it does seem fragile: you only have 35 marines + Lysander.

i think i would drop the plasma cannon and the combi-weapons from all squads, drop the the two Typhoons and try to get some more models on the table: a Sterguard squad with LC at home covering Lysander and crew would not be a bad options.

i admit that's probably not the best idea ever, but when one considers IG artillery, such few marines feels very flimsy.

good hunting.

Amid the Weeping and the Woe, Accursed Daemon Thou Remain And Rot; I Know Thee Filthy as Thou Art I Know...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-09, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Well I was gonna say that Lysander couldnt go in a drop pod because he has terminator armour and only SW termies can do that... but Im not gonna.
He doesn't fit inside. He rides it down like Major Kong. That's just how badass he is.

I've actually experimented with sending the storm straight into the enemy guns if I'm going second. That way he really has to shoot the thing, which distracts fire from everyone else. However, the only time I tried doing this I stole the initiative and tabled the guy, so not really a great illustration. This is only a good idea against gun lines though (in this case, a tau guy with 9 broadsides). Otherwise it does outflank.

The army does work going second though. The vindicators or landspeeders are sometimes out of action, depending on cover, but actually a small minority of people nowadays have heavy long ranged AT. It's mostly all about meltas and cc for tanks now it seems, which doesn't really happen on turn 1.

There's a bit of a question mark over the typhoons for sure. I find that they are a nice way to take down problem enemy units like transports and lootas. They are able to target just about anything, at all ranges, and stay away from most reprisals. I like them. They escape a lot of the shooting, which tends to be aimed at the stuff that's closer. I like them in this list, though they are not for everyone.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-09, 09:22 PM

Inquisitor Malaclypse's Flag is: Honduras

well mate, if the list works as is then leave it alone.

to quote any random Okie "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

i still maintain that 35 marines is not enough, but it seems you're wll covered.

now go and kill some thing for the Emperor

Amid the Weeping and the Woe, Accursed Daemon Thou Remain And Rot; I Know Thee Filthy as Thou Art I Know...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-09, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Thinking a bit about things, I feel that a dreadnaught would be worth bringing. This version has a few toys removed to change a typhoon for a dread. I think it would be a useful thing to have on the whole.

Lysander 200

Dreadnought
Multi melta
Heavy Flamer 115

Tactical squad
5 Extra marines
Melta gun
Power Fist
Multi melta
Drop pod 235

Tactical squad
5 Extra marines
Flamer
Power Fist
Missile Launcher
Rhino 230

Tactical squad
5 Extra marines
Melta gun
Power Fist
Plasma Cannon
Rhino 240

Scout Squad
Power Fist 100

Land Speeder Storm
Hvy flamer 60

Vindicator 115

Vindicator 115

Land Speeder

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-09, 06:03 PM

Sqwerlpunk's Flag is: USA

I gotta say, I think that Dread absolutely needs a Drop Pod. Foot-slogging won't cut it when he carries such a great couple of weapons.

Has the Infiltrate USR {NTGU}
>>Sqwerl's Tactical Squads<<

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-09, 07:36 PM

I could be VERY wrong as I have not really played in a long time, and may be a bit rusty on some rules or tactics...

But a flamer and a ML in the same squad? That strikes me as odd. Am I the only one?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-09, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwerlpunk View Post
I gotta say, I think that Dread absolutely needs a Drop Pod. Foot-slogging won't cut it when he carries such a great couple of weapons.
Weeeell, I don't really think so for the dread's drop pod. I've tried dropping dreads on things and somehow it tends to go wrong a lot.

The foot slogging dread is really a defensive unit. Its job is to hang around with the vindicators and make sure that people don't get silly ideas about putting krak grenades on them, or things like that. Also, it can use them as cover.

I do agree that the multi-melta would like to be close to things and it won't be straight away. There aren't really many alternative weapons I could give it though and I don't have any points to spend on them anyway really.

One real worry I have about the army is kill points. 13 seems like quite a lot at 1500 points to be honest.

Oh yeah and I'm allowed a flamer and missile launcher in one squad. That's what the squad comes with.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-09, 08:44 PM

No, I'm sure you're allowed.

It just strikes me as odd to have an assult weapon, and a stationary weapon in the same squad. Either gotta stand still to fire the ML, or get in close to fire the flamer, and other weapons, in which case the ML isn't doing anything.

Again, I could be out of the loop. I'm not asking so much as to criticise, but to understand (and learn from) the logic, and reasoning.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode