1500pt of ultramarines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-09, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Franko1111's Flag is: Australia

1500pt of ultramarines

this is a list that I would like to think thats compeditive and will win games but I want you to tell me what you think as this will invole me buying all of the dreadnoughts
HQ
master of the forge - 100

Elites
Ironclad Dreadnought-170
-drop pod

Ironclad Dreadnought-170
-drop pod

Ironclad Dreadnought-170
-drop pod

Troops
tactical squad-215
-10 man
-melta
-rino

tactical squad-215
-10 man
-melta
-rino

tactical squad-205
-10 man
-flamer
-rino

Heavy Support
predtor -85
hv bolters

predtor -85
hv bolters

predtor -85
hv bolters
pt.1500

so what do you guys think of It

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-09, 10:19 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its a nice rounded list full of nice things... I would give the MotF a conversion beamer right off the bat- he seems a bit useless for now (especially since he cant fit in a transport) and it would give you some added ranged firepower.

I think I would scrub the 3rd rhino in favour of a razorback (its only 5pts more) and upgrade the hws to a lascannon. Combat squad the unit and send the assault half forward while giving the lascannon squad to the MotF to hide in (will stop 1 enemy lascannon shot from instant killing him). This will also mean you have defensive troops to hold any of your own objectives.

I'm looking at the ironclads and am not sure whether they are going to be significantly better then 3 normal dreads... TBH I cant see that they are. Just having 3 standard dreads with multimelas and heavy flamers would save you 60pts- enough for deathwind missile launchers on the pods- a helpful tool against hoard armies or for if you intend to bring your pods down near enemy objectives... even SM will not be too happy trying to hold an objective if they're being hit by 3 S5 large blasts a turn.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-09, 11:00 AM

silversurfer's Flag is: France

I second Tim/Steve about switching ironclads to normal dreads.

But I'm not that sure that 3 dakadaka predators would be a great heavy choice.
Let's face the fact that you will not deal that much with hords, will kill MEq with some difficuties and will not have a great AT firepower. So it's a too soft choice for a competitive list (besides it gives a very bad composition mark in the tourneys which use it).

Your tac squads are ok but you really need powerfist for your sergeants. But ... you don't take any heavy weapon ? What if you need to hold an objective in your deployment area ?

What will be the use of MoTF ?

What is the most feared army by you ?
An easy question .... pokemons of course !

My Cadian army showcase !

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-09, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Franko1111's Flag is: Australia

ok I'm hearing the bad but I play against a ork horde and guard mech. so the idea is to drop the pods and smash the tanks while the hordes of footsloging guard/orks are riped apart by the dakka preds with a rino rush to finsh it and bearing that in mind how would you do it

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-09, 12:43 PM

silversurfer's Flag is: France

For the cost of one daka predator you have one whirlwind. If you take normal dreadnoughts (which have a better range for your alpha strike against vehicules), you could even take 2 whirlwinds and 1 vindicators.

Once again, I don't really understand the use of MoTF. A chaplain in a tac squad would be much more usefull when time to handle with some boyz will come.

What is the most feared army by you ?
An easy question .... pokemons of course !

My Cadian army showcase !
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-09, 12:45 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

If your going for 1 list to beat IG and orks then your in trouble. In a 3 way both the other armies can take 1 tactic and stay with it.. you cant (orks mob and race forward, IG sits back and lets rip).

I would say go for the deathwind on your pods for sure- vs the orks drop them down in your own deployment zone and hide the dreads behind them. Orks either have to assault the pods giving you an easy counter with the dread or they run through the middle and are blown apart by the deathwinds (they cant fire the turn the pod lands so no point dropping by them).

As for Dread vs ironclad I just dont know. Dread will be better vs guard but the ironclad is about 50% harder to kill if you charge it into an ork boyz mob. I would say probably still go for the basic dread (heavy flamer is very much advised though).

The heavy support from the predators will do well but I think that replacing them with 1 or 2 whirlwinds may do you better- they'll be far better at killing orcs (especially since its hard to miss) and will also be able to be a serious headache to guardsmen at long range.

Overall I think you're better suited to playing orcs. If your truly are playing a mech heavy guard list I cant see you having enough anti-tank to really trouble them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode