Heavy Flamer
Drod Pod
Deathwind Missle Launcher = 200pts

Ironclad Dreadnaught
Heavy Flamer
Drod Pod

= 1496pts

Worked it out when i was trying too think of somthing that would compliment a troops base of bikes, i'm not sure generaly, its very manuverable but will suffer against lots of plasma. Plan-wise its fairly obvious, Bikes hide 1st turn and come out firing boltguns, then rapid firing 2nd turn (if i'm not playing an assaulty player). 2 Ironclads drop where most needed, with their Pod giving cover fire. Scouts are a cheap home-sitter. Although I look a little light on anti tank at 1st glance, I counted up and I have more than i usually do 7 Melta Guns, 2 Multi Meltas and more Strength 8/10 Combat attacks than you can shake a spork at. Land Rairders BEWARE !

Appologies for any Spelling mistakes . . . dyslexia !

W/D/L

Nids : 21/1/6
Vampires : 30/2/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-09, 01:38 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

I like the list - it epitomises the Space Marines ethos, without being uncompetitive. However, I disagree with the use of Ironclads for one main reason - Low Troops Count. LTC is a crippling affliction that affects many SM armies in particular, which is why I post more about it in this forum than anywhere else, although perhaps a Tactica article is necessary as a reference tool...anyway, you have 3 Troops choices, in a 1500 list. Normally, this is sufficient, my suggested ratio being 1 for every 500pts or part thereof. On this occasion however, your Troops will bear the brunt of the fighting, and will take casualties. Being able to Combat Squad the Bikes is excellent, and does put you up to 5 Scoring Units, however these units are susceptible to weight of fire, despite their high T, and, against Tau, IG, and Eldar in particular, will be slaughtered in a protracted firefight. To this end, I recommend replacing the Dreads with 3 Predator Destructors, to take out units such as Lootas and take the fire of Fire Prisms that would otherwise maul the Bikers, until they get into Melta range (2 Turns max, in normal circumstances)

By saving these points you will be able to take two more, smaller, Bike Squads, probably with Flamers to replace the HFs on the Ironclads, putting you up to 5 Troops. Any spare points can happily be invested in HF Land Speeders to support the Bike assualt, or HF/MM if possible. You have to remember that the main advantage you have as Vanilla Marines over Ravenwing when Bike'd up is numbers, take advantage!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-09, 08:32 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

LTC is indeed a problem and I would suggest a few things to help out.

First thing is to give the scouts camo cloaks. Since you wont want your bikes in terrain its up to your scouts to claim terrain bound objectives (and living is more important then killing with them).
I would also switch the captain from TH over to relic blade. Its only S6 instead of S8 but being the only thing in your army with I5 makes him excel at killing other marines (especially since he's on a bike). I would rely on the sergeant's PF to kill vexs in CC (not gonna be a problem with the meltas your field).

I would also switch some of the special weapons about, including giving the bike sergeants combi-weapons, a flamer is probably the best way to go. Assume your going to combat squad the bikes (so you dont waste firepower on tanks when you melta them, you dont have enough to waste any). I would have either 1melta & 1flamer and send the melta with the AB and the flamer with the sergeant or just send 2 flmaers with the sarg. The 'assault' combat squad should get in close, fry the enemy (especially if its hoards.. which you'll struggle against) and rapid fire bolters then charge in to finish them off

I would also switch the ironclads over to regular dreads with assault cannons and heavy flamers (probably the best all round support dread). That'll save you 120pts which gives some nice options. Personally I would go with a vindicator (always nice) but I also see that for 120pts you can get 4 scout bikers with 3 astares nade launchers... if you feel you dont have enough anti-tank try these babies out- outflank them then you have 6 S6 shots at 12" (probably at the rear armour).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-09, 09:33 AM

looks like a good list, but i would agree with Elessar and Tim/steve. Your bikes will be taking the brunt of the enemy attacks, and maybe getting rid of 1 or 2 dreads and swapping them for some long(er) range firepower might be worthwhile

Quote:
Remember to use the BRB not the SRB from black reach... makes for a much better implement of physical enlightenment through repeated smacking on the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven302 View Post
Ah... the simpler times of the 1960's. When pedophilia wasn't frowned upon.
“Thou shalt not invite a Banshee to Karaoke”
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-09, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Marcus !'s Flag is: England

After Making some considerations I am looking at usuing this slightly altered list :

Captain
Bike
Thunder Hammer
Artificer Armour = 180pts

Bike Squad
Additional 5 Bikes
Power Fist
2x Melta Gun
Attack Bike
Multi Melta = 310pts

Bike Squad
Additional Bike
Power Fist
2x Melta Gun
Attack Bike
Multi Melta = 210pts

Scouts
Power Fist = 100pts

Tactical Squad
Extra 5 Marines
Power Fist
Combi Weapon
Flamer & Missle Launcher
Drod Pod = 240pts

Ironclad Dreadnaught
Heavy Flamer
Drod Pod

Ironclad Dreadnaught
Heavy Flamer
Drod Pod

Land Speeder Storm
Heavy Flamer = 60pts

= 1500pts

I think this list is generally more flexible. Most of the time both dreads will pod in 1st turn, I still have all the anti tank i had before, with the addition of a trouble stooting Landspeeder of scouts and the tactical squad for an Ironclad.

If I had too go up too 1750, the additiob would be ;

+Extra 5 Scout squad members
+Heavy Bolter for scouts
+Vulkan He'Stan
-Atificer armour on captain

This boosts the whole list, due too the amount of flamers and meltas I have in my force, Vulkan will drop with tacticals, and the scouts will pretty much always combat squad and gice anti-infantry fire/anti-monsterous creature.

What do people think ?

W/D/L

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-09, 12:09 PM
WFB Moderator

Its a nice variation and Vulkan will add a lot to it if you do add him in. Adding the tac squad and scouts is not teh route I would have gone but thats why I love this game at times.. multiple options are nice to see.

I would add a combi-flamer/melta to the scout sergeant depending on the roll you want them to play and I think that a storm shield might do the captain better then the armour (since he cant have a retinue) since he is likely going to get killed in CC more often then not (rather then shooting.. not saying he's always gonna die).

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-09, 02:48 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

I agree with my esteemed compadre above regarding Storm Shield vs Arti Armour

Otherwise, I think the list is nice, and, without retracting my comments above about if being fun and competitive-ish before, I think this one is better!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-09, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Marcus !'s Flag is: England

One thing I am not sure about, can an attack bike count as the '5th member' of the squad, so that they count as troops ?

Still building list, should be ready for heats.

W/D/L

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-09, 11:25 AM
WFB Moderator

Yes, an attack bike is a normal member of the squad when he joins (its not a FA choice tacked on, its chosen from the Bike Squad entry inself... which is a troops entry with a captain on bike. Although he is technically the 5th and 6th member of the squad- when you want to combat squad you need 8 bikers and an attack bike. 5 bikers go in 1 squad and 3 bikers and the attack bike go in the other.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode