5 combi-flamers
drop pod

**Fast attack
-Scout Bikes 100
Melta
Locator beacon

**Heavy Support
-Land Raider Crusader 250

My plans are to try to get first deployment as many times as possible and have the scout bikers infiltrate past enemy lines and during their scout move have them turbo boost past or toward enemy lines. I will try for orbital bombardment and then when the first turn starts I will take the ironclad and sternguard drop pods and pound my opponent for a bit and have the bikes charge a tank. With their melta bombs it has a good chance to take one out, since the tank has not moved yet it is automatic hits.

While the enemy is trying to deal with the dropped troops I have Marneus Calgar and his honor guard storm closer to the enemy lines and have him assault the strongest enemy since he deals out a lot of pain.

I plan to have my tacticals combat squad up and have the assaulty squad move foward with others providing support. The scouts will provide long range fire support but my big plan is to have them guard a victory marker.

I like the look of this list. I think most of you will comment on Marneus Calgar as an HQ. I like putting him with the honor guard because of the hitting power that squad gets. Also the champion is pretty good at taking on HQ units.

I am not sure how this unit would handle horde or a mechanized army as well. I am thinking if I should drop the scouts and the powerfist and get a vindicator.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 02:42 AM

Mitchy's Flag is: Canada

i like power fists, but i dont loike scouts, i would drop the scouts and try and sqweeze in some anti-tank, like some more lascannons and melta-guns, also mount the Tac squads, there to slow on foot. The Honour guard are a good idea and so are the scout bikers. whats the locator beacon for? the drop pods dont need it, they dont scatter onto difficult or dangerus terrain.

"Everyone is intitled to an opinion, but mines the one that matters"

"Serve me in life, or slave for me in death"
Vlad von Carstein

Vampire Counts
Wins/Ties/Losses
1/2/2
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

I gave them the locator beacon so I can have VERY accurate drops. I am going to want to unleash flamer hell on any squad I want and I want to scatter as little as possible.

I like scouts because they can full all three ranges (short, medium, long range) fairly well. they are not going to have the highest kill count but for their cost of only 140 points I have a very good victory point camper.

I would like to add a little more anti horde in this army and I am also seeing that unless the units are in close range anti tank is lacking. (but if I can get in close WATCH OUT BWA HAHAHAHA) which is why I would like to squeeze in a vindicator

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 04:40 AM
Triangulum's Flag is: USA

Location: Lurking in the Shadows between the Darkness and the Light

drop the land raider and take a pair of predators, kit one out w trip lascannons for anti tank and the other w autocannon and two HB mounts to help balance out the horde, if you just have em lurk in cover they can be a threat as well as a nice way to divert some high end firepower. Together they'll be about as much as a crusader but will fulfill many more roles.

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

I was kinda thinking about keeping my commander in the land raider for strong assualts. do you think it would be useful to do the preds and toss my HQ in a rhino?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawbo005 View Post
I gave them the locator beacon so I can have VERY accurate drops. I am going to want to unleash flamer hell on any squad I want and I want to scatter as little as possible.
Drop pods are the easiest thing to scatter in the game. You dont get deep strike mishaps for landing on enemy units or difficult/dangerous terrain, why do you need even more accuracy? Wanting to unleash flamer hell is cool, but the whole point of the sternguard is the get 3's and 2's with hellfire rounds so you can suicide them and take out whatever squad you want with 20 shots.

Drop Marneus Calgar and the honor guard. They're super fluffy and awesome in that respect, but at 490 points for the whole squad they aren't going to kill enough things remotely worth their points. Drop those squads and take a Land Raider with Lascannons and you'll still have points left over to take a captain and more.

Other than those obvious fixes I'm not a pro 40k player, but those are some easy fixes that will make your list a lot better. Take a look around at what other people are doing with their lists and get ideas from that. Tournaments aren't about bringing your "best" units, they're about tailoring your army list to deal with any and all threats opponents will throw at you.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

yeah for a fun list calgar would be a lot of fun. I do plan to get one for a friendly list. with him not there ill be able to get my vindicator and transports for the rest of my marines.

I knew already that this was not going to be a good tourny list but I was thinking that it would still be an effective build. Calgars strengh is very tempting to find a use for. but just like abbadon he will soak up all the fire and die faster then I can do something with.

how about this for a tourny build

**HQ
Liberian 100

**Troops
-Tactical 1 205
+5
Flamer
ML
Rhino

-Tactical 2 205
+5
Flamer
HB
Rhino

-Tactical 3 205
+5
Flamer
multi melta
drop pod

-Scouts 140
+5
Sniper rifles

**Elite
-Ironclad
two flamers 15
drop pod

-Assault terminaters 200
mix of lightning claws and thunderhammers havnt figured it out yet

-Sternguard 335
+5
4 combi-meltas
5 combi-flamers
drop pod

**Fast attack
-Scout Bikes 100
Melta
Locator beacon

**Heavy Support
-Land Raider Crusader 250

Vindicator 115

Toss the chapter master in with the terminaters. and it will be similar stragety to the one I had before but this way my entire army will be MUCH more moble and hits almost just as hard.

for psy powers I was thinking of smite and gate of infinaty

Last edited by gawbo005; 04-21-09 at 07:15 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 10:31 PM

Go with Null Zone and Gate. Null Zone's the biggest trump card you'll have over demon lists (and any resilient buggers with invuln. saves).

Somebody else should chime in about what squad to put the librarian in. I personally put him with my sternguards in a drop pod and have him teleport them around, however this hasn't been working out for me recently, and in a tournament I'm sure those sternguards are going down first.

Always go with TH/SS with the Assault Termies. The 3+ invuln save is way better than +1 attack.

Other than that the list looks good. Some people would agrue the scouts aren't worth the points but I personally like having 4+ wounds regardless of toughness for those particularly hard to kill models.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode