Vanilla Marines 500/1000 points - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Default Vanilla Marines 500/1000 points

I'm gonna try and start a Space Marine army, so here we go.
I don't want any Assault on Black Reach related answers either.
A buddy and me are just getting into Warhammer, and while I start getting the money for it, I need some advice on an army list.

For 500 I was gonna use:
captain with a a relic blade
2 10 man tactical squads with one flamer, missle launcher and power weapon in each.

For 1000 I was just gonna add 500 points to my army I just posted:

5 squad Assault Terminators (probably gonna use thunder hammers for fluffy-ness)
A Command Squad with aa company standard and either x3 power weapons and a combi-flamer or give them all storm bolters.
The power weap/combi-flamer puts me at 885 and the storm bolters put me at 845.

But then I have quite a a few points left, but I wanna give my chapter some sort of fluff, so the believe in trying to create tough soldiers, so infantry and heavily used, and the 'higher' ranking troops (ei, termies and hqs) are more close combat based. So ideas are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 08:38 AM

You are lacking a vital element: TRANSPORTS!!!

The most effective transport is going to be a Land Raider for your Termies. But I do know thats expensive, as expensive as the assault squad of terminators(give them storm shields by the way). So Other than that, Rhinos or Drop Pods.

Drop Pods = Quick Assaults

Rhinos = Contested/Captured Objectives

Your call.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 08:23 PM

Gen. Confusion's Flag is: USA

I agree with thejackelman. Get some rhinos and your tac squads will be very grateful.

"All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Well...If I put in two rhinos....rhinoes? for my tactical squads and a drop pod for my terminators and take storm bolters on my command squad I'm only at 950 points...what should I do now?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-09, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm if I give both rhinos storm bolters and extra armor that brings me up to 1000.....is that advisable?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-09, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Actually, I'm gonna shift gears and drop the terminators and drop pod and put in a squad of bikes. 8 bikes with a power sword and flamer is 235, the same cost of the termies and drop pod.

And while I realize no one is posting, posting to myself is helping me decide on an army list easier than trying to do it in my head.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-09, 09:39 PM

Lord Ramo's Flag is: England

You need more anti-tank stuff a vindicator would suffice as its strength 10 demolisher cannon packs quite a punch and is 115 points. You could get rid off some of the bikes for this and maybe also add in an attack bike with multi-melta if your vindicator gets destroyed. But you definatly need more anti-tank stuff (and the vindicator is good at killing infantry as well!!).

Last edited by Lord Ramo; 04-17-09 at 10:01 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-09, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm if I drop the bikes, put in a vindicator that leaves me 120,then 105 for 3 bikes and power sword and giuve two of them flamers, so thats 995 points.
My army's fluff is that they are very keen to swords. Medieval-ish.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-09, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ramo View Post
You need more anti-tank stuff a vindicator would suffice as its strength 10 demolisher cannon packs quite a punch and is 115 points. You could get rid off some of the bikes for this and maybe also add in an attack bike with multi-melta if your vindicator gets destroyed. But you definatly need more anti-tank stuff (and the vindicator is good at killing infantry as well!!).
Vindicator has too small a range for pure tank hunting, as well as the chance of it scattering off the tank and halfing the strength of the shot (IIRC), better suited for infantry/backup AT, imho.
Better AT comes from small squadrons of attack bikes with multi-meltas these days, they can zip in and deny cover saves, must love 8+2d6 armour penetration too, AP1 is just adding insult to injury.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-09, 06:52 AM

Crimson_Chin's Flag is: USA

Really keen to swords .. with marines ...

Well it's doable but you're gonna have some trouble getting it working.
A neat idea. The main problem is that vanguard vets are very expensive, and assault termies are hit or miss. Just for kicks, how about this - switch out the captain for a librarian, put him in termie armor with a SS. That's 140 points, not much more than the captain, and he comes with a sword so it's still fluffy. In 500 this puts you 10 points over, but if you don't mind dropping a tac squad sword it's not a big deal. That ups your mobility in small games a TON, b/c of Gate of Infinity. It's my personal choice, since I play eldar and being where my opponent doesn't like me is kinda my thing.

SM bikes have always under-whelmed me for their points cost. You already have bolters in the form of tactical marines, do you really need more mobile bolters?

This is probably a result of me being to used to fire dragons and banshees and the like, but I enjoy it when my units have a specific purpose. So if you have points to fill up, I ask myself "what does this army need".

Honestly, don't rely on internet folks to decide that for you. GO OUT and play a few games, and you'll see where you're lacking.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode