750pts vs necrons - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-09, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Default 750pts vs necrons

hello,
just a quick intro, i face necron every day because he is the only opponent avaliable most of the time. we just played for 1 month so our army pts is low.

this is his army list

HQ
Necron Lord w/ res orb and warsyte(wrong spelling)

Troops
2x 10 necron warrior

vehicles
monolith

750 pts

my army list is

HQ
kor'sarro khan 160

troops
10 tac squad w/ flamer, heavy bolter sarge w/ power weapon 185
5 tac squad 90

ellites
dread w/ CCW, multi-melta extra armour 120
termies 200

755 pts

my strategy is to outflank my enemy. all of my troops will focus on the lord, and the dread will CC the monolith. are there any suggestions??

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-09, 03:40 PM

get a vindicator and some lascannons. The vindicator would destroy the necron troops(unless in res orb range) and the lascannons are your best bet for taking out a monolith. melta's only stand a chance at destroying it because they are Ap1 so get +1 on the damage chart. Try to get 2 full tactical squads or a scout squad(telion+missile launcher+snipers is good). For the termies if you are going to use them in CC then maybe get assault terminators.

I would advise forgetting about the monolith and taking out the troops, unless it gets close

Quote:
Remember to use the BRB not the SRB from black reach... makes for a much better implement of physical enlightenment through repeated smacking on the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven302 View Post
Ah... the simpler times of the 1960's. When pedophilia wasn't frowned upon.
“Thou shalt not invite a Banshee to Karaoke”
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-09, 03:54 PM

I wouldn't bother trying to outflank that Necron army, I would just try to get into CC with those warriors. Necron warriors will be horrible in CC against Chaos units, he won't be able to shoot you while you are in CC, and it will be very easy to phase his army out.

The only army I use is Necrons BTW.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-09, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfly View Post
get a vindicator and some lascannons. The vindicator would destroy the necron troops(unless in res orb range) and the lascannons are your best bet for taking out a monolith. melta's only stand a chance at destroying it because they are Ap1 so get +1 on the damage chart. Try to get 2 full tactical squads or a scout squad(telion+missile launcher+snipers is good). For the termies if you are going to use them in CC then maybe get assault terminators.

I would advise forgetting about the monolith and taking out the troops, unless it gets close
Each shot of a lascannon only has a 3.7% chance of destroying it, best bet is to actually ignore it and go for phase out, since he spent so many of his points on non Necrons, that is his weakness.

A vindicator only has a 24" range, will be very ineffective against his warriors if they are in cover and near the res orb. Since it only has a range of 24" you will get shot up by gause riffles, which will very easily destroy it's weapons or atleast get a stunned or shaken result.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-09, 04:46 PM

Devinstater's Flag is: Canada

Assault Squad with jump packs, close combat weapon and pistol. 2 Attacks base, 3 on the charge.

Don't deep strike. Jump NEAR cover, use the run rules to get into cover. Cover hop until you can assault the Warriors. Do so. You will kill them outright if you don't cut them down as they break with a sweeping advance.

Hiding in cover saves you from monolith insta death and you movements almost guarantees you the charge without getting shot up too bad.

Also, try riding in your rhino up to the warriors and flame them, but do not get out. Get out the next turn, fire your pistols and charge. You can't win gun battles against them. Rhino's are awesome. If you ever play objective games, troops on home just won't cut it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-09, 04:53 PM

I agree SM's can't take the Necrons on in a gun battle, because Necron's are twice as hard to kill because of WBB.

I also have to agree rhinos are a good way to go, make sure you get extra armor so that you can always move (excluding immobilised results) when the Necron's start glancing you. Don't forget to pop smoke first turn, then second turn jump out, rapid fire them (depending on how many can rapid fire you back). Third turn shoot with bolt pistols and then assault!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-09, 06:19 PM

Devinstater's Flag is: Canada

Necron, I would do that a little differently. Second turn I would only shoot through the 2 fire points the Rhino has. Turn 3 I would jump out, fire pistols, charge. I don't find a gun fight is worth it, even if you get the first rapid fire.

The more guys you have left for the charge, the more you can beat them by in CC, the more likely they will break so you can run them down. That's really the best way to beat them at small points. Otherwise you could be there all day.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 12:19 AM

I agree, forget about trying to take on the monolith and tie up the warriors in CC. Look out for that warscythe though, no saves is no fun for whatever is on the receiving end.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 01:52 AM

Crimson_Chin's Flag is: USA

You can drop necrons pretty easily with power weapon assault troops. I use banshees if I know I'm up against MEQ or necs, but for marines I think a drop pod full of vanguards with power weapons would just about ruin their day.

They have the advantage of being able to assault on the turn they drop, so you can come down with minimum scatter thanks to the pod, the unload and hit them before they can even move. You could conceivably cause them to phase out second turn.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

i know that in assaut, my marines would win, but when assaulting, he would teleport his necron to the monolith and he gets the WWB re-roll, then he starts shooting up at me again.

i was aiming to destroy the monolith because of the paricle whip. it is soo annoying, in one turn he could make me have 5 instant deaths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinstater View Post
Turn 3 I would jump out, fire pistols, charge. I don't find a gun fight is worth it, even if you get the first rapid fire.
i actually tried that strategy with tau, but when the necron falis the moral check, he will move back so that i can't assault.

thanks everyone for the replies

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode