Friendly 500pt vs. Tau Codex marines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-09, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Default Friendly 500pt vs. Tau Codex marines

Pardon my crap formatting, I'm writing from my mobile.
HQ
Librarian w/ Smite, Quickening, and Plasma Gun ( I'm 25 points short, any recommendations for upgrades?)- 115pts

Troops
10 man Tactical Squad w/ missle launcher and flamer and Rhino w/ storm bolter and hunter-killer missle - 225pts

5 man Scout team w/ Telios and sniper rifles and a heavy bolter -135pts.

Total = 475pts.

Any helpful recommendations for upgrades or alternate unit choices? I'll probably be spliting the tactical squad in to two teams, an assault team with the Librarian and a long rangw team with the missle launcher and picking off stronger models with Telios and his scout squad.

Last edited by TheJackalMan; 03-27-09 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-09, 06:52 AM

Crimson_Chin's Flag is: USA

If you could find some time to reformat this, it would help greatly.

I understand you might not have these models, but what I would do ...
1. Give the Librarian a second power, probably GOI for quick travelling - can be huge in small games. Then put him in Terminator armor with a SS. You won't want to be shooting that plasma gun and end up putting wounds on your HQ, when most of the time you can shoot with smite and kill more models anyway. Now he's durable. The librarian's glaring weakness is the lack of an invulerable save, and this remedies it.
2. Change the Rhino to a drop pod, and make the Librarian drop with them. You can still combat squad if you want, but now you can come down 1st turn wherever you want and unleash all your bolter/flamer goodness along with smite from the librarian. This is the configuration that I run, and I have to say I'm quite fond of it. I haven't tried it in games less than 750 points though.
3. I think you should have about 30 points left now, but use whatever points you have left on adding more snipers to that squad. Bulk up their numbers to help them survive incoming fire and actually cause some wounds. If you don't wanna do that, put a PF on the tactical squad to help handle CC.

Good luck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-09, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I ended up giving my Tactical Sergeant a Power Weapon and Melta Bombs.

It worked out fairly well. I kept the scout Squad and the combat squad of 4 bolter and missle launcher wielding tactical squad marines at the rear and had the Librarian and Tactical Sergeant with the flamer and 3 other space marines in the Rhino and put them in the face of the Tau.

Smite does work awesome and I didn't end up firing my Plasma Gun, but it was nice to know that I could wound on a 2+ if I wanted to.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-09, 07:37 PM

NICE! I can never beat Tau, the bastards. Nice job and love your list. It is exactly what I take for 500 points! And great tips Crimson_chin! May this list lead you to victory fellow space marine player!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-09, 07:40 PM

LOKI_DE's Flag is: United Kingdom

How have you never beaten tau, im sure a mass drop pod assalt wi dreads and wat not could annialte em, especially when u take heavy flamers.

Speed beats strength Slannesh is ma mum dont dis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode