[2000] - Ultramarines - New Player - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-19, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Default [2000] - Ultramarines - New Player

Ive recently discovered that it can be rather difficult to line up my schedule with other people locally. So I want to create a 2nd army to either get new players in to play me. Or simply to play myself when I have time. My other army is 2k pts Tyranids (pretty typical semi-competitive kraken). I also want this army to be somewhat good so that when I can play with friends from the local store it doesn't get crushed as several of them are quite good and have been playing for a long time.

So my question is what am I missing? Should I remove something and get something else? I am pretty new to the hobby so if is this a legal list? How does Operative Requisition Sanctioned work? Do I take 1 CP away and 85 pts than I can add a single assassin? Would adding an assassin drop battle forge? Anyways thanks for all advice and your time.

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [43 PL, 741pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Ultramarines

+ HQ +

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 86pts]: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle, Power sword, The Sanctic Halo

Primaris Lieutenants [10 PL, 148pts]
Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle
Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Dreadnought [7 PL, 132pts]: Twin lascannon
Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [73 PL, 5CP, 1258pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 115pts]: 1) Veil of Time, 2) Might of Heroes, 6) Null Zone

Marneus Calgar in Armour of Heraclus [11 PL, 2CP, 200pts]: Warlord

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Primaris Apothecary [4 PL, 68pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: Assault bolter x2, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: Assault bolter x2, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 175pts]: Heavy Plasma Incinerator
4x Hellblaster
Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

4x Hellblaster

Last edited by Dusty40k; 03-17-19 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-19, 11:30 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Point of order, if you're aiming for competitive SM you should probably consider making some soup. That having been said, since I'm not sure what kind of lists you're aiming this at we'll just stay mono-codex and consider this list in isolation.

Anyway. Let's see... I think you're aiming for a Guilliman style gunline deathball? Calgar's a good replacement, good counter-charge and hits like a truck. However, while your Space Marines have anti-infantry covered (and then some), I think you're low on anti-armour. Probably very much so, depending on your local meta. Some more long-range punch would be a good thing as well, at the moment you can be outranged and thus, forced to move.

In short, ask yourself what your plan is when your opponent brings some tanks and/or Imperial Knights

On an aside given that your usual army is Nids, consider whether you'll like this playstyle. Barely mobile gunlines are not for everyone

EDIT:
Some more comments on list units:
-Inceptors actually make pretty terrible Ultramarines rules-wise given that they have Fly. There's little synergy there.
-I don't think you're going to be seeing a lot of Fire Storm from the Aggressors if your opponents know what they're doing.

And to answer actual questions:
Quote:
How does Operative Requisition Sanctioned work? Do I take 1 CP away and 85 pts than I can add a single assassin?
You leave 85 points open as Reserve Points, and can then spend the 1 CP during Deployment - which means you can send in the Assassin you think most useful against your opponent, giving you some versatility in your list... assuming you have all 4 models available

Quote:
Would adding an assassin drop battle forge?
Nope. The army is battle-forged and the Assassin shows up later. Note that if your Warlord has the Imperium keyword you also have the option of bring 3+ Assassins as a separate "Officio Assassinorum" Vanguard Detachment without an HQ. Won't give you a CP though, and doesn't give you the versatility of the Stratagem, but at least it doesn't COST any CP either and it allows for a larger number of assassins.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.

Last edited by Shandathe; 03-17-19 at 11:55 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-19, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

I switched up the list a bit. I am not aiming for super competitive just not getting destroyed. I do enjoy tyranid CC but I think it would be fun to change it up a bit and try a semi gunline. I know their are at least 4 mech heavy armies locally and I believe two knight players.

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [42 PL, 657pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 86pts]: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle, Power sword, The Sanctic Halo

Primaris Lieutenants [10 PL, 148pts]
Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword
Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 156pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 156pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [78 PL, 4CP, 1339pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Relics of the Chapter (1 Relic) [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 115pts]: 1) Veil of Time, 2) Might of Heroes, 6) Null Zone

Marneus Calgar in Armour of Heraclus [11 PL, 2CP, 200pts]: Warlord

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 89pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
4x Intercessor
Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

4x Intercessor

4x Intercessor

+ Elites +

Primaris Ancient [5 PL, 69pts]: Standard of the Emperor Ascendant

Primaris Apothecary [4 PL, 68pts]

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

4x Hellblaster

4x Hellblaster

1996/2000 pts

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-19, 12:07 AM

Some more stuff was edited into my previous post. This looks a lot more dangerous Good call on bringing in the Ancient, especially with the added Hellblasters.

Not sure how much more fine-tuning I can do. Most of my experience with Codex: Space Marines armies involves killing them

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-19, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Hmm seeing your comments what would you replace the interceptors and aggressors with?

edit: fixed terrible spelling

Last edited by Dusty40k; 03-18-19 at 12:51 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-19, 03:20 AM

Not saying you necessarily have to, both can do good work. You do need to be aware of what you're getting for the points, though, as the point investment is a big one.

Note the Inceptors really don't benefit much from most Chapter Tactics anyway (they're prolly best as Iron Hands or White Scars... Maybe Crimson Fists). They're still good in their role - jumping around, delivering brutal close-range firepower, potentially plugging sudden holes in your line or grabbing an objective. They're your only mobile element, IF you replace them make sure it's by something that's mobile as well.

The Aggressors I'm actually a little more iffy on, as I'm just not sure they'll get to do their thing in this list against many opponents. They'll do well enough against melee heavy lists that don't have a choice but to get near them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode