New player, Need help creating my army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-17, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Default New player, Need help creating my army

Maybe this is a tad too much for a brand new player to the 40k table top to take on, But after my friend suggested to me to convert Guilliman's model into Lion El john son i just have to do it and field him in my army and im really new to the whole 40k table top and making a 350 point model work with a point limited army is proving quite difficult for me as i dont know what i should prioritize over other stuff. Any help you guys can give me towards army lists, advice etc etc would be absolutely invaluable and really appreciated

What i'm looking to get is 3 armies
1 - 1000 point (maybe not viable with Guilliman's 350 point cost) (really a 650 point limit after the lion is placed in)
1 - 1500 point army (really a 1150 point limit after the lion is placed in)
1 - 2000 point army (really a 1650 point limit after the lion is placed in)

My models i have so far are:
Tactical marines : 19 ( 16 bolters, 3 unbuilt)
Assault marines: 5 (1 with power sword/plasma pistol - 4 with chain sword/bolter pistol) all 5 have jump packs
Heavy marines: 5 (1 heavy bolter, 4 plasma cannons)
Special marines: 1 (Plasma cannon)
Terminator marines: 10 (1 with lightning claws, 1 assault cannon, 2 stormbolter/power fist, 1 storm bolter/chainfist) (The other 5 are currently not built suggestions welcome)
1 interrogator chaplain / Chaplain (however you guys want to run him)
1 Bellial

As of tomorrow ill also have available
Guilliman (being converted to the lion)
Cypher (not playable)
And Grand Master Voldus (Who i can field as a librarian)

Suggestions to model i don't own are also heavily recommended as i can buy them over time to make my army more competitive

Thanks for looking over the thread guys i really appreciate any advice, recommendations, or listed army comps for me to try out
Thanks again

Edit: Ive placed a 1000 point fallen list in the comments i intend to play tomorrow if anyone can have a look at that

We are the angels of death!
Repent for tomorrow you die (Including you Cypher)

Last edited by kalidris; 03-16-17 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-17, 09:45 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Okay, I'm not a Dark Angels player but the obvious thing you're missing is any vehicle support. You can do without, but it'll leave enemy anti-tank weaponry (usually high strength and AP1 or AP2) freed up completely to focus down your Terminators, so if you go that route make sure you pick up some Storm Shields to tank those.

Guilliman is the other obvious target... Since you're building the list around him, that actually gives you options. While he's tough, drowning him in saves is the one thing that probably works. However, it's going to take a LOT of effort and as he needs to be focused, you might be able to get away with taking risks elsewhere, or get Guilliman into melee.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-17, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

So Far ive managed to come up with this

Combined arms detachment: 740 points
Lord of war - Guilliman
HQ - Integrator Chaplain
Troops - 3 X tactical squad (including 1 plasma cannon, 1 missle laucher, 1 heavy bolter, 3 veteran sergeants)

Deathwing strike force: 790 points
HQ - Belial, Librarian (Level 2 psyker, terminator armor, storm bolter)
Elites - 2 X Deathwing terminator squad (1 Lightning claws sergeant, 1 power sword/storm bolter sergeant, 2 assualt cannons, 4 storm bolter / power fists, 2 storm bolter / chain fists)

What are peoples views on this list, Ive built what i could with what i own atm, Im planning to ask people if they are willing to not use vehicles for the time being while i gather funds to buy them over time (guilliman box ruined my wallet haha) if not ill just deal against the veichles with deepstrikes and guilliman

Last edited by kalidris; 03-15-17 at 11:26 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-17, 12:18 AM
Senior Moderator

1000 Point list:

1500 Point List:

2000 Point List
At this time I would not recommend trying to make any 2k lists with what you have. Build up your collection first, in addition to your experience, and then take a crack at this point level.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Last edited by darkreever; 03-16-17 at 02:29 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-17, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Wow thank you darkreever, I really appreciate the lists you have sent me.
Especially since im really struggling to make lists at the current moment, The list i linked was the best i could come up with,
Ill have a good few games over the next few weeks with these two lists and get more experience playing the game (especially with deployment my weakest thing during the game) and then get a few more models (mostly vehicles) and try and flesh out a 2000 point army
Again thank you very much really appreciate the help

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-17, 08:51 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidris View Post
...then get a few more models (mostly vehicles) and try and flesh out a 2000 point army
Again thank you very much really appreciate the help
Assuming that your opponents would have zero issue with this (most people I know wouldn't have an issue) please "practice play" with something, aka proxy, to represent models that your interested in buying. Since nothing's worse in 40k when you buy something and end up never using it - no need to waste money on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-17, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Assuming that your opponents would have zero issue with this (most people I know wouldn't have an issue) please "practice play" with something, aka proxy, to represent models that your interested in buying. Since nothing's worse in 40k when you buy something and end up never using it - no need to waste money on that.
Oh i didnt actually think of that, Thank you for that piece of advice. What ill try is i have friends who play at my local GW who shouldnt mind me proxying vehicles for me to test out against them
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-17, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Just too add aswell ive tried my hand at making a 1000 fallen angel point list (Would i just use the DA codex?) with cypher, as my friend wants to play tomorrow
How does this list look:

HQ: 255 points
Cypher
Librarian (Monster slayer of Caliban, Terminator armor, level 2 psyker, Melta bombs)

Troops: 495 points
3 X tactical squad ( 3 veteran sergeants, 1 heavy bolter, 1 missile launcher with flakk, 1 melta gun)
1 X devastator squad (2 plasma cannons)

Elites: 250 points
1 X terminator squad (Power sword / storm bolter sergeant, 2 storm bolter / power fist, 1 Storm bolter / chain fist / cyclone missle, 1 Assualt cannon)

All i know is hes taking a flyer, Nothing else on what hes bringing

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-17, 09:38 PM
Senior Moderator

The veteran sergeant upgrades on the tactical squads with heavy weapons are wasted points. Those squads are not going to be moving, let alone charging, so the attack boost is wasted and your not getting that much for those points.

Instead I'd drop them and cyclone missile launcher in order to grab two more tactical marines and a power weapon on the melt a gun squad. Since they are going to be on the move, you'll want the extra bodies and if they are charges, or have a charging opportunity the power weapon will be helpful.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-17, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Again thank you for the help darkreever
What ive done now is removed the vet sergeants and cyclone as you said and switched my melta gun squad to consist of a sergeant(with power sword), 1 melta gun, 6 bolter marines
to make for a total of 997 points

Last edited by kalidris; 03-16-17 at 10:00 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Tags
dark angels , new army , new player , primarch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode