Dual Skyhammer - What Chapter Tactics - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-16, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Minigiant's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Dual Skyhammer - What Chapter Tactics

After working on a Blood Angels list I realised I didnt really want that chapter, what I wanted was a dark grim looking army in black power armour, so I have come up with my own chapter (May post this in the fluff section). Anyway my own chapter allows me to chose my chapter tactics very freely and as I have just wrote a new list up (not sure how good it is) I was wondering what chapter tactics for it
  • Fire Hawks
  • Star Phantoms
  • White Scars
  • Ultramarine

Fire Hawks Pros:
Str5 Flamers
Objective Secured Assault marines (Thats how we play it here)
Better HoW

Star Phantoms Pros
1 round of Twin-linked

White Scars Pros
Hit and Run, cannot keep devs in combat, can attempt to repin units when assault squad disengages

Ultramarine
Doctrines

Here is the list

Skyhammer Annihilation Force

FAST ATTACK - 10 Assault Marines: 210 Points
2 Flamers, Eviscerator
Sergeant; Melta bombs

2 Flamers, Eviscerator
Sergeant; Melta bombs

HEAVY SUPPORT - 5 Devastators: 245 Points
4 Grav-Cannons
Drop Pod

HEAVY SUPPORT - 10 Devastators: 325 Points
4 Grav-Cannons
Veteran Sergeant; Warlord
Drop Pod

Skyhammer Annihilation Force

2 Flamers, Eviscerator
Sergeant; Melta bombs

2 Flamers, Eviscerator
Sergeant; Melta bombs

HEAVY SUPPORT - 10 Devastators: 215 Points
4 Multi-Melta
Drop Pod

HEAVY SUPPORT - 10 Devastators: 215 Points
4 Multi-Melta
Drop Pod

What do you think? What Chapter Tactics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-16, 12:43 PM

Rush Darling's Flag is: United Kingdom

For me the only real choices there are Star whatsits and Ultramarines.

The list looks orientated around incredible alpha damage, so having the twin linked insurance across the army is taaasty. Just need to decide whether you want it in the form of an all in party trick or spread over 3 doctrines.

If the "Twin linked for a turn" includes Assault marines hitting in CC, then I'd say go with that, otherwise Ultramarines and kick off the party with the Tactical Doctrine with the other two as and when. (aka, turn 2 and 3 xD)

This reminds me, I need some more land speeder storms

Jamming Beacons hooooooooo
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-16, 01:11 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Something worth considering is that one of those squad sergeants will become your Warlord. Nice and easy kill for your opponent if you have one after T1.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-16, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Minigiant's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Something worth considering is that one of those squad sergeants will become your Warlord. Nice and easy kill for your opponent if you have one after T1.
Yep, I did write it in. 10 Man Dev squad with Grav Cannons, even upgraded him to a Veteran Sergeant. I had considered shaving points to add a Librarian conclave all with Jump Packs. Any thoughts on the list overall?

Last edited by Minigiant; 02-10-16 at 10:31 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-16, 01:19 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minigiant View Post
Yep, I did write it in.
Hadn't noticed it, but my point is that he's an easy Slay the Warlord point if you don't table your opponent Turn 1.

Which brings me to my next point:

Quote:
Any thoughts on the list overall?
I'd wager you're either tabling your opponent when you come in or losing. I face a lot of high body count marine lists and have never had a problem thinning the herd en masse once the punching started and your guys are all going to be right up close with whatever they haven't maimed. That doesn't even take into consideration other Drop Pod/Reserve lists or area-denial deployment styles that can really help protect the important gribbles from alpha attacks like this; if nothing else they might slow you down or mess with your target priority just enough that you don't/forget to kill that one unit that'll make you wish you had.

Quote:
I had considered shaving points to add a Librarian conclave all with Jump Packs.
If you're intent is to add those models into your Skyhammer nonsense then you're only hobbling their attack. Models can only belong to one Detachment (Formations are Detachments) and it says on pg. 166 in the BRB that ICs don't take on the Special Rules of the unit they attach to unless it is specifically stated, which is not the case for the Skyhammer force (or any Formation/Detachment special rules that I can think of really). You could have your Libbys squad up and move together, but they don't piggy back on the rules that your ASM/Devs have.

Otherwise OH MAN that would be broken and I would be attaching the stupidest ICs I could think of that have Deep Strike to those units and getting them in T1. Well, if I wanted to be the reason people rage quit anyway.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 02-10-16 at 02:03 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode