Tournament 1850pts Space Wolves/Raptors List, C&C wanted - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-15, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Aktar09's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Tournament 1850pts Space Wolves/Raptors List, C&C wanted

Hai. This is a current draft for a tournament I'm doing in November, and hence, needs to be able to face all comers. Phaeris will be the Warlord, getting Master of Ambush automatically. Current plan is for Skjald to use the Tempestas discipline, which will grant him Living Lightning automatically. He'll use it to try and deal with any fliers which come snooping - thanks to the rerolls of the Helm, he's almost guaranteed (91.667%) to roll at least one 6, which will automatically make 3 hits with no cover saves.Last time I went to one of these I lost several times due to being overwhelmed by hordes, so do you think I'll be more ready for the them this time?

Note that I can't change all of this, as a lot of it is models I already possess. Still, don't hold back. Thanks!

----- THE ETERNITY WARDENS 4TH COMPANY (Counts as Raptors for Chapter Tactics) Combined Arms Detachment
Phaeris Suna, High Warteller and Chapter Master
Counts as Lias Issodon
Squad Nesionyx
8 Tactical Marines
Melta Gun
Veteran Sergeant
Spear of Legacy
Rhino
Squad Caraxos
5 Tactical Marines
Plasma Gun
Squad Sehria
3 Space Marine Bikers
Plasma Gun
Melta Bombs
----- THE AVALANCHE BRETHREN GREAT COMPANY Allied Detachment
Skjald the Taleteller
Rune Priest
Psychic Hood
Helm of Durfast
Runic Armour
The White Wolves
10 Grey Hunters
9 CCW
Plasma Gun
Flamer
WG
Terminator Armour
The Redmaws
6 Greys
5 CCW
Plasma Gun
WG w/ Plasma pist
----- THE CHAMPIONS OF FENRIS GREAT COMPANY - Company of the Great Wolf Detachment
Alfr Greathand
WG Battle Leader
Terminator Armour
Thunder Hammer
Storm Shield
The Fang
5 Terminator WG
2 WC
-
Assault cannon and CF
Storm shield and WC
Storm Shield and Frost Axe
The Riders of Valha
3 Thunderwolves
3 Storm Shields
Power Sword
Power Fist
The Brightclaws
7 Wolf Guard
Jump Packs
3 Melta Bombs
Power Axe
Hakanor's Yellow Eyes
5 Long Fangs
2 Lascannon
2 Missile Launcher
2 Flakk

I AM THE PROPHET OF THE DICE GODS!!

Last edited by Aktar09; 10-07-15 at 05:42 PM. Reason: clearer spacing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-15, 08:35 PM

LordOfTheWolves's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hail wolf brother!

Interesting list to be sure, and loving the squad names/character names! Had to do some research to find out who Lias Issodon was, very interesting rules!

I'm sorry to say but half right about the rune priest. The Helm will grant him a decent chance of a hit, however, reading the rules for 'Living lightening' on pg 101, it says

"...the target suffers and additional 2 hits, UNLESS those to hit rolls were snap shots"

As you are shooting at a flyer, you are firing snap shots you'll only get the single hit for a 6.

What is the overall strategy you're going for here? I see boots on ground, but little to no transport, so I assume they are taking up position on your board edge and taking advantage of counter attack? Are the terminators deep striking or walking? Whose actually benefiting from your "master of ambush" warlord trait?

I'd be wary of putting giving a pack leader terminator armour, it doesn't happen often but being able to perform a sweeping advance is a major boost versus a single wound model with a 2+ armour. But thats just me.

I'd consider splitting your long fangs into two small teams of 3s, separating the lascannons from the flakk missiles. That way you aren't having to take pot shots with lascannons and ignore any other tank threat on the field.

You have a fair number of boots on the ground which is fantastic, but I still think hordes will give you a fairly rough time. But plan for hordes and you'll get arse handed to you by an elitist army, so can't have it both ways sadly. I think you have a nice balance with this list.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-15, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Aktar09's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheWolves View Post
Hail wolf brother!

Interesting list to be sure, and loving the squad names/character names! Had to do some research to find out who Lias Issodon was, very interesting rules!

I'm sorry to say but half right about the rune priest. The Helm will grant him a decent chance of a hit, however, reading the rules for 'Living lightening' on pg 101, it says

"...the target suffers and additional 2 hits, UNLESS those to hit rolls were snap shots"

As you are shooting at a flyer, you are firing snap shots you'll only get the single hit for a 6.

What is the overall strategy you're going for here? I see boots on ground, but little to no transport, so I assume they are taking up position on your board edge and taking advantage of counter attack? Are the terminators deep striking or walking? Whose actually benefiting from your "master of ambush" warlord trait?

I'd be wary of putting giving a pack leader terminator armour, it doesn't happen often but being able to perform a sweeping advance is a major boost versus a single wound model with a 2+ armour. But thats just me.

I'd consider splitting your long fangs into two small teams of 3s, separating the lascannons from the flakk missiles. That way you aren't having to take pot shots with lascannons and ignore any other tank threat on the field.

You have a fair number of boots on the ground which is fantastic, but I still think hordes will give you a fairly rough time. But plan for hordes and you'll get arse handed to you by an elitist army, so can't have it both ways sadly. I think you have a nice balance with this list.
Thanks, wolf brother! This is appreciated.

You're right about the Helm, sadly. Since the Rune Priest's anti-air power is now kinda not very much, it's no longer that important that I give him the helm, and so I don't have to have separate detachments from the Champions of Fenris and original codex just to get the right combination. It makes things a little easier.

The long fangs split is a good idea, and one I'll take. Thanks. Two squads would be handy anyway. This is the revised list I made.

----- THE ETERNITY WARDENS 4TH COMPANY
Phaeris Suna
Lias Issodon

Squad Nesionyx
7 Tactical Marines
Melta Gun
Veteran Sergeant
Meltabombs

Spear of Legacy
Rhino

Squad Caraxos
5 Tactical Marines
Plasma Gun

Squad Sehria
3 Space Marine Bikers
Plasma Gun
Melta Bombs

----- THE CHAMPIONS OF FENRIS GREAT COMPANY
Skjald the Taleteller
Rune Priest
Psychic Hood
ML 2
Terminator Armour
Pelt of Balewolf

The White Wolves
10 Grey Hunters
9 CCW
2 Plasma Guns
WG
Frost Sword

The Redmaws
8 Greys
7 CCW
Flamer
WG w/ Plasma pist

Herald of Russ
Rhino

The Fang
5 Terminator WG
2 WC
-
Assault cannon and CF
Storm shield and WC
Storm Shield and Frost Axe

The Riders of Valha
3 Thunderwolves
3 Storm Shields
Power Sword
Power Fist

The Brightclaws
7 Wolf Guard
Jump Packs
3 Melta Bombs
Power Axe

Hakanor's Yellow Eyes
3 Long Fangs
2 Lascannon

The Redjaw Skyhawks
3 Long Fangs
2 Missile Launcher
2 Flakk

Phaeris' Warlord Trait is currently planned to allow him and the White Wolves to secure a position midway on the battlefield - they'll be a good anvil, shrouded thanks to Phaeris' rules and pretty nasty in combat if charged, too. They probably won't move too much. If someone very big and unfriendly comes too close, the Terminators or Jump Packing Wolf Guard can deep strike in for protection, teleporting accurately thanks to Phaeris' Locator Beacon. The Thunderwolf Cavalry will also use his strategic brilliance to outflank, arriving unmolested in the midst of the foe - thanks to Acute Senses there's an 8/9 chance they'll be on the board edge I desire. Squad Nesionyx will also deploy via infiltration, hoping to cripple a high-value armoured target or claim something early - they'll probably die, but it's a sacrifice we must make for victory.

Good point about the WG in Phaeris' Hunters. 2+ is useful, but Sweeping Advance is too good to lose. I'll give him a plain Frost Blade instead, hopefully that'll mean he can do something against any challengers while keeping Phaeris' middling combat prowess out of the fray for a turn or two.

Thanks for the tips. I'm much happier with this list now. May the Allfather smile on my battles, and on yours.

I AM THE PROPHET OF THE DICE GODS!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-15, 04:29 PM

LordOfTheWolves's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think the list is looking really good and well rounded.
Your tactics seem well thought out and you have enough threat on the board to keep the enemy on their toes.

Aircraft may be a thorn in your side but I wouldn't be too concerned, if you can just ignore them and stick to your guns.
However, playing devils advocate here, what is your strategy for Wraithknights and the like?

There is only one thing I would really consider changing and that is the pelt of the balewolf. Honestly there is too few situations where you will get any benefit from it. Many units with the beasts special rules tend to also be fearless, making this ability pointless.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Tags
1850 , space marines , space wolves , tournament

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode