1500 Black Templar - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Default 1500 Black Templar

This is my first shot at a Black Templar list.

Emperor's Champion
-Vow: Accept

Marshal
-Terminator Armor, Pair of Lightning Claws

Terminator Assault Squad (5)
-3 Hammer, 2 Claw

2x Crusader Squad 10 Init, 5 Neo
-Power Weapon, Flamer

1x Crusader Squad 5 Init
-Lascannon

Landspeeder
-Multi-Melta

Assault Squad (5)
-Power Fist & Storm Shield, Meltabombs, 2 Plasma Pistols

Land Raider Crusader

Another Configuration I had pondered would turn the 15 man squads into 2 6 Init/5 Neo w/ PW & Flamer and 7 Init PW & Flamer squads. I wasn't sure if breaking the squads down to those numbers would weaken them too much. Another squad for taking objectives would be nice. I wasn't sure about the meltabombs on the Assault Squad too, but I figured it would add more flexibility to a highly mobile squad.

The idea is the Marshal and the EC each take a Crusader Squad, the LRC takes the Assault Termies.

Suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 03:20 AM

No Chaplain? WTH, he's the second most powerful Infantry piece in the Chapter. Also, EC is not allowed to join a squad, period. Also, I hear that the Marshal is kinda weak. Forget where, but I did.

Last edited by Marshal Seir; 10-16-08 at 03:23 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 04:18 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Not quite. The Emperor's Champion can't be bought a command squad, like a Chaplain or a Marshal. He can, however, join another squad as an independent character.

I'd put power fists in the squads instead of power swords-- you'll find you get a lot more from 'em. If you need points for it, drop the storm shield from the assault sergeant-- he's going to be the last one to die anyway, so having the shield is sort of a moot point and not really needed. Beyond that, it seems fine to me.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

The Marshal I chose for his Leadership score since it passes to all units on the table. The way I have the Marshal set up makes him an absolute monster too. 3 wounds, 6 attacks on the charge, re-rolls to hit, and re-rolls to wound, no armor saves at I5. A lot of the appeal behind the Chaplain is re-rolls to hit, which I get anyway from my vow.

@Son of Horus: Would the squads be underpowered being broken into those smaller divisions? And what about the meltabombs, thumbs up/down?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 05:35 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Unless you plan on putting them in Rhinos, I'd leave them as they are. Small squads of Space Marines, regardless of the flavor, are a whole lot easier to deal with than larger squads. One of the reasons I'm not that excited about the Combat Squads rule is because I find five Space Marines to be a liability-- they're far too easy to neutralize-- but ten, on the other hand, are an effective squad that aren't too easily depleted. It's the same concept-- you're going to get a lot more out of fifteen Black Templars than you are six or seven.

Meltabombs are a useful tool when the opportunity arises, but I've found that if you have a power fist, it's usually more than enough for opening a vehicle, and it's ultimately a lot better for dealing with massed infantry anyway since you kill most things on 2's with it. That you re-roll your failed to-hit rolls by virtue of your Vow makes the fists just that much more dangerous.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestions for the Assault Termies? It feels like i've got plenty of Anti-Infantry, but Heavy Infantry and Monstrous Creatures I feel like i'm weak against. Is the 3 Hammer, 2 Claw mix good? or should it be 2 Hammer, 3 Claw? Or could I be better served running 5 Hammers that could take on Monstrous Creatures and Vehicles better?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 05:34 AM

Well you appear to be well rounded against forces that would rely on infantry with some armour support; but if anyone brings a lot of armour or monstrous creatures you could be in trouble.The power weapons I would trade for powerfists and the Assault Terminators and Land Raider Crusader are fun to have; but are a bit to pricey for 1,500 pts.If you were to ditch them and go for more Crusader Squads or a cheaper tank like the predator or even a dreadnought I think you would be better off.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 10:05 AM

i'd take three ccw pistol squads in pods w/ deathwinds two on first turn will upset enemy together formidable use your abilities
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Emperor's Champion

Marshal

-Power Fist, Flamer

1x Crusader Squad, 10 Init
-Power Fist, Meltagun

1x Crusader Squad 6 Init
-Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun

Landspeeder
-Multi-Melta

Assault Squad (5)
-Power Fist, 2 Plasma Pistols

Dreadnought
-CCW, Multi-melta, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

Dreadnought

How is this as a second shot? Plas/Plas dedicated to anti-TEQ. 2 Dreads for anti-vehicle that can multi-purpose to anything else (particularly anti-Monstrous Creature). New Crusader Squad for more objective grabbing, and can help out with anti-vehicle with the Meltagun and Fist.

Last edited by Heartsclaw; 10-17-08 at 11:11 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-08, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsclaw View Post
Emperor's Champion
Fine.

Quote:
Marshal
Why does he have Terminator Armour? Any squad he is with will not be able to peform a sweeping advance because of him now. Drop him down to Power Armour, give him Frags and Terminator Honors and possibly an Iron Halo. Stick him with one of the Crusader Squads.

Quote:
-Power Fist, Flamer
If they are going to be footing it across the board, I'd try to find points to bump them up to 20 men. Also Meltaguns are superior to flamers imo, as you have plenty of anti-infantry with the sheer number of bolt pistol attacks you get followed by the freakish number of CC attacks you get.

Quote:
Crusader Squad, 10 Init
-Power Fist, Meltagun
Looks fine. Give them a Rhino or a Pod if you can find the points. Otherwise, add Neo's for the extra wounds.

Quote:
Crusader Squad 6 Init
-Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun
Drop an Initiate for a Neophyte with a shotgun, will save you a few points. I personally prefer the Lascannon over the Plasma Cannon, but both can be effective.

Quote:
Landspeeder
-Multi-Melta
An Attack Bike squad is a more effective means of using Multi-meltas. I'd drop him personally.

Quote:
Assault Squad (5)
-Power Fist, 2 Plasma Pistols
Too small to really combat things in CC properly. I'd bump them up to atleast 8 strong, also give them melta bombs for tank hunting.

Quote:
Dreadnought

Dreadnought
Not great weapon loadouts imo. Personally I'd run with only 1 in a 1500 point game. Make it venerable. Either walk him and give him TL-Lascannon and Missile, or drop pod him and give him Assault Cannon, DCCW, and a Heavy Flamer. Extra Armour and Smokes are must haves.

Last edited by Spector; 10-19-08 at 06:09 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode