1850pts Totally-Deathwing - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-15, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Default 1850pts Totally-Deathwing

STRIKE FORCE NOT-ULTRA
Captain Lysand*whack* Grand Master Belial - 230pts
Deathwing Squad with 5 Additional Terminators and 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers - 400pts
Deathwing Squad with Cyclone Missile Launcher - 190pts
Deathwing Assault Squad - 165pts
Deathwing Assault Squad with 4 Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields - 220pts
Stormraven Gunship with Twin-Linked Multi-Melta and hastily-painted-over Ultramarines symbols - 200pts
Land Raider Crusader with Multi-Melta - 260pts
Venerable Dreadnought with Plasma Cannon in Drop Pod - 165pts

+1 shot with all ranged weapons on the turn they Deep Strike, +1 attack on the turn they disembark for the first time.

If you wanted to cut the points down and bring in an Allied Detachment of 5 Scouts and a Chapter Master in Terminator Armour, the wording is that all ranged weapons in the unit get an extra shot, so I guess you could fire your Orbital Bombardment twice to be dumb.

@Xabre @ntaw

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 06-15-15 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-15, 01:08 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Know what this reminds me?

How lousy Deathwing is right now.

and I don't know what Ultra is compared to DW, sadly. I wanted to say a few times Plasminators for the rule of cool, until I realized what you really had done.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
Know what this reminds me?

How lousy Deathwing is right now.

and I don't know what Ultra is compared to DW, sadly. I wanted to say a few times Plasminators for the rule of cool, until I realized what you really had done.
Strike Force Ultra - everything except the Land Raider and its' cargo start off the board. You can roll for reserves starting on turn 1, kinda like Deathwing, and on the turn that you Deep Strike or the first time you disembark from a transport, you get +1 shot with all your weapons if you're a shooty Terminator (and re-roll 1s to hit with Storm Bolters for being Imperial Fists), or +1 attack if you're an assault Terminator. Lysander gives a 12" bubble of re-rollable Leadership to kinda emulate Fearless.

But hopefully, this weekend, the real Deathwing will be a viable option.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-15, 03:27 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
But hopefully, this weekend, the real Deathwing will be a viable option.
With all luck, though it's looking like taking a DW army and popping it wholly in reserve is out...but I have read GW state 'look for the Deathwing to be charging turn 2', so I'll have to just bite my tongue and wait for the book.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-15, 03:31 PM

Most of what I have seen involves being able to dictate 2, 3 or 4 as an entry turn for DW... and some other things suggesting that's because turn 1 the Ravenwing get in position to act as Teleport Homers. I feel like they're pushing RavenDeath more than any single aspect of the army list.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-15, 03:35 PM

Yeah, fuck Ravenwing. I'll use BA drop pods with teleport homers as allies before I take those black bike riding pussies.

This is me constantly and forever venting GW telling me how to play my armies through Formations. They're cool but it grates against me at times. I'll get over it...

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-15, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
With all luck, though it's looking like taking a DW army and popping it wholly in reserve is out...but I have read GW state 'look for the Deathwing to be charging turn 2', so I'll have to just bite my tongue and wait for the book.
Where have you read that?
stop giving me hope, im already disappointed.

Quote:
Yeah, fuck Ravenwing. I'll use BA drop pods with teleport homers as allies before I take those black bike riding pussies.

This is me constantly and forever venting GW telling me how to play my armies through Formations. They're cool but it grates against me at times. I'll get over it...
Aye! Formations are cool but should be an alternative to CAD not an outright better choice.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-15, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
Where have you read that?
stop giving me hope, im already disappointed.
There is no hope. I have since seen the book, T1 DS is out, and the soonest you can assault with DW is T3 assuming you DS T2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
Aye! Formations are cool but should be an alternative to CAD not an outright better choice.
The nifty thing about the formations vs. the detachments in the DA book is that they're pretty much entirely interchangeable in terms of units. A little bit of squad restructuring and you have the same force with different rules for it, though there are some differences in play style.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-15, 10:10 PM

Quote:
There is no hope. I have since seen the book, T1 DS is out, and the soonest you can assault with DW is T3 assuming you DS T2.

The nifty thing about the formations vs. the detachments in the DA book is that they're pretty much entirely interchangeable in terms of units. A little bit of squad restructuring and you have the same force with different rules for it, though there are some differences in play style.
yep and yep. DW isn't designed for a 1st turn Alpha Strike anymore. They're a Take-and-Hold army, letting the Ravenwing do their job as advance scouts instead. But the formations are pretty mutable; I just built a full Ravenwing list that can be run as two different sets of formations, depending on the bonuses I want for that list. I really love what they've done with Ravenwing with those options. Deathwing is a little bit more lack luster this time around, I think. Though I'm not sure what the Redemption Formation gets.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-15, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
Though I'm not sure what the Redemption Formation gets.
The whole formation chooses whether to show up T2,3,4 as opposed to the detachment's choose to pass or fail reserve rolls for each unit provided there's some RW stuff happening. Shooting and running the turn they arrive remains the same, as well as the Venerable restrictions involving drop pods. It's also a bit more restrictive on the number of units involved from each selection (eg. 2-5 DW, 0-1 DWK), but at least you don't need RW on the table to get a reserve buff.

Another key difference between this and the detachment is that the detachment HQs need only the Deathwing rule (which everyone has bar Sammael/Sableclaw), and the formation requires either a chapter master, interrogator chaplain, librarian, or belial. Any option must take TDA (aside from Belial, obvs). Another slap in the face to my collection, where I commonly took Azrael with a Guard blob and a couple DW squads to support...now if I do that I lose the reserve buff out of my lack of RW models.

So far it looks like I'm selling a TLLC Mortis and my converted Azrael/bearer

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 06-27-15 at 10:48 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode