Knocking on the Front Door w/ a Blossom & Bag of Hammers...2k Tournament RG list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-08, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Sons of Russ's Flag is: Czech Republic

Default Knocking on the Front Door w/ a Blossom & Bag of Hammers...2k Tournament RG list

I make no apologies about this no-mercy list.

Its all about being the hardest, most solid phalanx-type army I can make it...

An 'Ardboyz type force that is designed for all comers in all their optimized, nasty glory...

Having played a few tourney level games, I have found that some of my more fun choices were exploited and thus this is my "bring your best list" option so far.

I wanted to get back to using large blocks of infantry, as most of my other lists were composed of smaller , more numerous units of elite, fast attack and heavy support.

SHADOW REAPERS OF CORAX: Background and Fluff

Doctrinal Overview:

Shadow Reapers of Corax
5th Company, "The Phalanx Hoplites"
Commander: Xavier Alkemenes

The 5th Company organization and fighting style are a notable departure from the typical Shadow Reaper/Raven Guard fluid warfare tactics of stealthy ambush strikes and numerous independent unit actions.

As the most sub-ordinant Battle Company of the Chapter, it invariably contains the greatest number of new Initiates that have proven their mettle in the Reserve Companies and must now master the trade of a Tactical Marine in full tempo combat operations.

Due to their dearth of experience in power armour, the tenets of the Codex Astartes are hammered home thru conventional warfare. They fight in a much more rigid form that favours large, interlocking formations to produce a rigid wall in defence and a weighted arrowhead in assault.

Patterned after the Spartan Hoplites, the Initiates were blooded in the base principe of the Hoplite Tactical Squad;he must trust his battle brother to his right, and must not fail his brother to his left.

Ancient Spartans used this fundamental selflessness to produce a formidable tactic. The Aspis [shield], held in the left hand would not only guard a Spartan left side, but would guard his fellow warriors right. Thus, an interlocking set of shield would provide no weakness for the enemy to fissure the unit. The Spartans held a long bronze spear in the right, and attacked in coordination to obliterate the enemy front ranks...

This system was embraced and updated by successions of 5th Company Captains into an formidable method of warfighting in the 41st millenia.

The centre-piece of the army is the tactical squad and his rhino transport. In assault, Rhinos allow the hoplite formation to advance their heavy infantry upon the enemy without fear of small arms and long reaching artillery. Craven enemies that refuse to meet in honorable combat find the 5th Company quickly closing the distance and overrunning their positions.

Moreover, Rhinos are the Shield in defence. Waves upon waves of hordes hit and falter against their solid, armoured walls as the marines prepare to strike against the wavering line.

In this moment, the rhinos open their ranks and the Speartip of marines charges through, a flurry of displined fire and slashing blades decimating and breaking the enemy.

The current Assasin-Captain or the 5th Company is non-other than Xavier Alkamenes, an embodiment Spartan ideals that every warrior of the 5th hopes to achieve.

Selfless and dour, Xavier leads from the front with no thoughts of personal glory. As all Shadow Reaper Company Commanders, he is trained as a skilled, stealthy assassin. As a Teif Home-worlder, he feels a fierce martial obligation to his troops and will only range ahead to kill his leadership targets if the action will benefit the army as a whole.

Having served in the 5th Company since rising from a Scout, he embraced the Spartan culture and doctrines as his own. Brother Xavier took the 2nd name Alkamenes in honor of an ancient Spartan King once his assassin training was complete and he was formally elevated to Captaincy of the 5th Company.

On that day he received his Symbols of Office; The Hammer-Blades of Lakonia. Two mighty Artificium,wreathed in lightning energies wielded in fierce patterns to that overwhelm a foe's defences in a flurry of pounding blades...

His Xiphos Guard of Elite Terminators follow his lead and protect his flanks.Armed with blades, hammers and shields, the are able to surround and protect him from the worst of ranged fire, then attack en mass and cut a bloody swathe thru the enemy line.

Against a quick or wary foe, he will often sneak into there midst alone. His stealth and patience allowing him to close within killing range. Once in place, a small pysker beacon embedded in his armour is activated.... Aboard the 5th Company's orbiting Strike Cruiser, the Pysker Choirs have prepared for their ordeal and upon the signal, their chorus homes and guides his terminator bodyguard into a Teleport Assault of incredible accuracy and speed.

Before the enemy can react with any real effect, the Assassin-Captain and his Xiphos Guard are upon them and pin them in place, allowing the main phalanx to close the distance and overtake their prey before Xavier and his Terminators are overwhelmed.

In defence, Xavier and the Xiphos-Guard will anchor the vulnerable rear of the Hoplite Phalanx, propping up bends in the line and counterattacking to exploit divisions in the enemy line. As the enemy waves shatter upon the phalanx, their elite invariably surface to attempt to break the deadlock. Perfectly timed, the Guard and Xavier meet them with the irresistable force of Shield, Hammer, and Blade.

Ariston, the Eldest Guard:

Ariston was a Xiphos Guard who was cut down by an Ork Warboss when he shielded his Captain from the killing blow with his body.

Mortally wounded, the Spartan ideal was a warriors death and a final peace. Ariston however, mustered the strength to become entombed as a Dreadnought almost one thousand years ago and continues to act as a bodyguard for 5th Company Captains to this day.

Rarely armed with stand-off weapons, he screams earthward in a Drop Pod that homes on the location of his commander. Bursting onto the battlefield, he is never more than a few mighty strides his Liege...

================================================== =

HQ: 195

Xavier Alkamenes [see avatar]
Assassin-Captain of the 5th Company
Shadow Reapers of Corax
Hammer-Blades of Lakonia [MC'ed, Rending Lightning Claws, Bolt Pistol]
Shadow Killer [Infiltrates, grants Teleport Precision-Assault to Terminators via Psyker Beacon]
The Training of the Agoge: Hoplite Warriors [Endurance of a Spartan; Fleet]

[counts as Shrike, Infiltrate to Terminators, Fleet to whole army]

ELITES:485

Ariston, the Eldest Guard
"Death-Blossom" Pattern Dread
Twin-Linked Hvy Flamer, Hvy Flamer/DCCW
Extra Armour
Drop Pod

The Xiphos Guard
8x Assault Terminators
[2x Lightning Claws, 6x Thunder-Hammer/Storm Shield]

FAST ATTACK:120

1x Landspeeder, Longrifle Pattern [2x Heavy Bolters]

[due to new vehicle squadron damage rules, I'm thinking of keeping them separate; kill pts liability ATM...]

TROOPS:1020 [over 50%]

10x Man Tactical Hoplite Squad
Flamer
Lascannon
Vet Sgt Power Fist/Combi-Flamer
Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

Flamer
Lascannon
Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

Flamer
Lascannon
Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

Flamer
Lascannon
Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

Heavy Support:170

Predator
TL Lascannon
Lascannons
Dozer Blade

1990 pts

any ideas for the 10 pts?

for a tournement/competitive game, where do you see weaknesses or situations and match ups that would prove less than ideal?

"Death-Rattlers" Air Cavalry Mech Tau Strike Force

Heresy-Era Imperial Fist Legion, 19th Company Project Log

Xavier Alkamenes, Assassin-Captain of the 5th Company 'Hoplites'
Shadow Reapers of Corax (Raven Guard Successor Fluff and Army)

Bearer of the Hammer-Blades of Lakonia, He is the Shadow of Death Itself...

Last edited by Sons of Russ; 10-02-08 at 12:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-08, 06:59 PM

beenburned's Flag is: United Kingdom

That's a painfull list, but as you said, that's exactly what you want it to be.

Question - do you combat squad the tactical marines?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-08, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

short answer, no.

I have some different formations and ideas depending on gunlines, mechanized or horde armies.

The core is the great flexibility of full strength Tactical Squads coupled with the improved transport rules.

Almost every unit has some form of anti-tank and anti-troop function without being too watered down in to be inefficient...

Speeders will be interesting. They no longer serve the role they did in 4th ed.

Now, they seem most effective as long guns sniping at lightly loaded flanks...

On 2nd look, I actually have 10 pts to play with.....

Note sure where I could put those really..

Extra armour is rather expensive, and I have Fleet if my transports start getting stunned...

Any ideas?

Last edited by Sons of Russ; 09-25-08 at 08:19 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-08, 01:16 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons of Russ View Post

Esteban Morales
Assassin-Captain of the 5th Company
Shadow Reapers of Corax
Scythes of the Reaper [MC'ed Lightning Claws, Bolt Pistol]
Shadow Killer [Infiltrates, grants Teleport Precision-Assault to Terminators via Psyker Beacon]

Solid choice.

Quote:
ELITES:485

"Death-Blossom" Pattern Dread
Twin-Linked Hvy Flamer, Hvy Flamer/DCCW
Extra Armour
Drop Pod
You might want to swap out the twin-linked heavy flamer for an assault cannon or something. Despite being able to drop in, he might find himself a bit useless after the turn he lands if you come up against an army that's highly mobile like Eldar or Tau. At least with an assault cannon you can take pot shots at enemy units as they try to put distance between themselves and your Dreadnought.

Quote:
8x Assault Terminators
[3x Lightning Claws, 5x Thunder-Hammer/Storm Shield]
[thinking of going 2/6 as the Storm Shields will could soak up 6x AP1 shots a turn]
Yeah, the more hammers the better. A 2/6 mix is probably perfect.

Quote:
FAST ATTACK:120

[due to new vehicle squadron damage rules, I'm thinking of keeping them separate; kill pts liability ATM...]
Yeah, it's a tough choice. Vehicles in squadrons drop very easily but at the same time you're giving up half of the Kill Points once they're both down. My advice would be to suck it up, stick them in a unit and make them Typhoon pattern Speeders so you can stay way out of the range of most of your enemy's weapons. They might knock these Speeders down, but they're going to need to devote lascannon (or whatever) firepower to do it.

Quote:
TROOPS:1020 [over 50%]

10x Man Tactical Squad
Flamer
Lascannon
Rhino w/ Dozer Blade
These units are grand, but you might be better served by giving a couple of them plasma cannons instead of lascannons, especially if you do decide to go with Typhoon Speeders.

Quote:

Predator
TL Lascannon
Lascannons
Dozer Blade
This guy's pretty lonely... hopefully your Rhinos will take all the heat.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-08, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post

You might want to swap out the twin-linked heavy flamer for an assault cannon or something. Despite being able to drop in, he might find himself a bit useless after the turn he lands if you come up against an army that's highly mobile like Eldar or Tau. At least with an assault cannon you can take pot shots at enemy units as they try to put distance between themselves and your Dreadnought.
This was a hard choice that I still have to playtest. The role I was primarily looking to achieve with the dread was adding pressure and distraction to my enemy's line as my assault termies infiltrate and charge the line.

Your are spot on about the Assault Cannon. It is what I am keeping the 10 pt option open for now. I want to see if the psychological impact the "Death-Blossom" Pattern will make up for its less flexible role. It is kind of the "fun" unit of the army, meaning that Donkey Gun might get slapped back on once the novelty wears off [for both me and my opponent!]

I was sorely tempted to take an Ironclad, but I was trying to keep points down as the pod will be dropping turn 1 and thus will probably die as soon as it finishes firing.

The double flamer loadout will cause the most potential casualties in a single turn. The threat of infiltrating or outflanking terminators will cause many gunline opponents to clump their units together. By picking a small space in the midst of the enemy troops, I should be able to mitigate the scatter to fry some troops as well as threaten tanks with the DCCW if they dont deal with it. This should cause some excitement in the opposing gun-line's clumped units. Enough to take some heat off the terminators anyway.

Against hordes, I go with a Spartan Hoplite "Shield and Spear Wall" [rhinos are the shield, embarked marines the spear]

In this case advance in a wall en mass with fleeting dread and terminators keeping up as a mobile counter charge reserve.

Against mech eldar...god I hate them. I find successful games against mech eldar with a marine army force you to castle and play a very boring, conservative style. The moment you start to get bored, lose discipline and spread yourself out with manuever, your done.

In this case, I would just keep my army clumped together, infiltrate shrike and termies back behind rhinos, and force any mobile eldar unit that tries to snipe me to face all 7 of my lascannons...

The really nice thing about 5th edition is it removes the "bottom of the sixth" skimmer star engine boost to hover and contest your objectives...

After playing hide and seek all game, they are now forced to come to you as early as turn 4/5 as the game might end then. This gives you a chance to finally stick it to them!

Devil's Advocate, if it was your 10 pts to spend on the dread, what would you arm it with?
In this list, I was curious how a more rounded dread would do with a either a plasma cannon or even a TL Autocannon for plinking at lower priority targets that would not warrant a Lascannon....

Quote:
Yeah, it's a tough choice. Vehicles in squadrons drop very easily but at the same time you're giving up half of the Kill Points once they're both down. My advice would be to suck it up, stick them in a unit and make them Typhoon pattern Speeders so you can stay way out of the range of most of your enemy's weapons. They might knock these Speeders down, but they're going to need to devote lascannon (or whatever) firepower to do it.
I am curious to see how this loadout will do. Being extremely thrifty for the points, I will see how effective they can be by trying to keep them at edge of their weapon range at isolated units that can't hit back. The typhoon speeder is rather expensive, although a playtest may warrrant swapping the two out for a single Typhoon...

Quote:
These units are grand, but you might be better served by giving a couple of them plasma cannons instead of lascannons, especially if you do decide to go with Typhoon Speeders.
I have a bit if a lascannon fetish. It comes from my concern over encountering mech eldar lists. I have found concentrations of lascannons to be rather effective as they try to whiz around shrugging off hits.

I like the AP2 of the Plasma Cannon, however I fear its lost a bit of its edge due to the plethora of 4+ covers saves now available

Quote:
This guy's pretty lonely... hopefully your Rhinos will take all the heat.
Indeed he is....I really like predators myself, but I've found you really have to babysit them with the abundance of Outflanking units that can make a mess of their poor side/rear armour...He's there as a compliment to all the lascannons firing out of the rhino top-hatches when facing non-gunline armies...

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Trimming here 'n there... or stick with what I have?

here's an 'experimental' offshoot of the sound base list:

I trimmed two tactical squads of some bling.

Since I am working on the phalanx principle, every other squad will have a blinged out vet sgt.

I will be keeping my tac squads in grouped pairs if not all together for most of the game.

The assault terminators would be great counter charge unit that should be able to keep up with the tac squads in case of horde armies where there is no reason to infiltrate forwards nor Outflank.

AT present, they have enough size, hitting power and mobility to go toe to toe with almost any assault unit in the 40k universe.

The saved points allow my to bump up my anti-horde long range fire with another speeder, and make my dread more of a threat and firemagnet by bumping him to Ironclade/Double Hvy Flamer status.

In my test games so far, I have found the double flamer loadout to be more effective against the majority of armies as the terminator/shrike threat allows me to minimize my scatter by landing him in the middle of clumped units..

Given sound use, the Ironclad is one of the few vehicle walkers that has a good chance of taking on a powerfist marine squad and coming out on top.

The AV13 means more anti-tank shots dedicated to its destruction that would otherwise be aimed at my sneaking terminators...

In the end, I have added a speeder and upgraded to a heavier, more threatening dread at the cost of two fists and two combi-flamers without losing any bodies on the model count...

Even better, I already have my own version of him I modelled up years ago when I was making a heavily armoured venerable dread for my old army. His fluff and connection to the Xiphos Guard is further reinforced by using the same weapons [Hammers] and the same role [smashy-smashy-krumpphh-squish]

Xavier Alkamenes [see avatar]
Assassin-Captain of the 5th Company,Shadow Reapers of Corax Adeptus Astartes Chapter
Hammer-Blades of Lakonia [MC'ed, Rending Lightning Claws, Bolt Pistol]
The Training of the Agoge: Hoplite Warriors [Endurance of a Spartan; Fleet]

ELITES:505

Ariston, the Eldest Guard
"Death-Blossom" Pattern IronClad Dread
Seismic Hammer/Hvy Flamer, Hvy Flamer/DCCW
Drop Pod

The Xiphos Guard

8x Assault Terminators
[2x Lightning Claws, 6x Thunder-Hammer/Storm Shield]

FAST ATTACK:180

[due to new vehicle squadron damage rules and their role in the army, I'm thinking of keeping them separate; kill pts liability ATM...]

TROOPS:950

10x Man Tactical Hoplite Squad A
Flamer
Lascannon
Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

10x Man Tactical Hoplite Squad B
Flamer
Lascannon
Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

10x Man Tactical Hoplite Squad C
Flamer
Lascannon
Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

10x Man Tactical Hoplite Squad D
Flamer
Lascannon
Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

Predator
TL Lascannon
Lascannons
Dozer Blade

Last edited by Sons of Russ; 10-02-08 at 12:32 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 08:14 AM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons of Russ View Post
I like the AP2 of the Plasma Cannon, however I fear its lost a bit of its edge due to the plethora of 4+ covers saves now available
It was to my understanding you dont get cover saves from AP1 or AP2 weapons anymore... or am i thinking of something completly different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by effigy22 View Post
It was to my understanding you dont get cover saves from AP1 or AP2 weapons anymore... or am i thinking of something completly different?
your thinking of Feel No Pain USR

Everything can get a cover save in the shooting phase unless the weapon itself ignores cover.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 08:43 AM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ah your totally right, deary me, what on earth is wrong my brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

send antacid....

need to ask my stomach that, heartburn interrupting sleep makes posting at 2am oh so fun and easy...

Last edited by Sons of Russ; 10-01-08 at 01:26 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode