1500pt space wolves - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-23-14, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Default 1500pt space wolves

I have a regular necron opponent and I am thinking of starting a space wolf army. I am theoryhammering at the moment and have the codex and have devised a list that will likely contain the normal necron toys.

He takes arks for his warriors, 3 spiders with lots of beetles, a night scythe carrying some elite troops, and a lord on a catacomb barge.

My list is built for close combat effectiveness with some strong shooting support particularly outside the range where he is effective.

Here it is....

HQ

Wolf guard battle leader on a thunderwolf, runic armour, wolf claw, powerfist, digital weapons, melta bombs, wulfen stone (Warlord)

Wolf priest, runic armour

Troops

9 bloodclaws, bolt pistols, chainswords, drop pod with storm bolter
9 grey hunters, wolf standard (wolf priest goes here)

Fast Attack

5 thunderwolf cavalry, chainsword and bolt pistol (Warlord goes here)

Heavy Support

Land Raider Crusader, assault cannon, heavy bolter, multi melta
Stormfang Gunship, twin linked multi melta, helfrost destructor, stormstrike missiles
Vindicator, dozer blades, storm bolter

The wolf priest is there to make the grey hunters more punchy and I have put them in a land raider so they get to where they need to without being shot.

Similarly the blood claws will arrive via drop pod.

I am slightly worried about how to protect the cavalry but I am hoping that my advancing vehicles will provide enough of a distraction!

Would appreciate some input, it is my first space wolf list and I expect there are some mistakes here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-24-14, 07:19 PM
Shadow's Fury's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ah! A young blood claw! Come have a tankard with me

So to me looks like the Necron player is running what is to be expected from that codex now a days. More for curiosity, is the elite unit deathmarks (snipers) or Lynchguard (Evil close combat weapons)? If deathmarks, I know exactly which unit is in for a pelting (they growl, run on all fours and have breath that could peal wallpaper off the walls).

The list is a good start. Just want to check is this meant to for fun games with friends or more on the competitive side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarine View Post
Wolf guard battle leader on a thunderwolf, runic armour, wolf claw, powerfist, digital weapons, melta bombs, wulfen stone (Warlord)
Well, this is a lot of points going into this one guy. The big thing that screams out to me here is the lack of an invul save, the biggest difference between the Lord and the BL. You are up against monstrous spiders and scarabs who can strip you of your 2+ armour, I'd be tempted to swap one of your melee weapons for a stormshield. But here comes the tricky part, what melee weapon do you take. The fisticlaw is an effective combo, but in my opinion getting an invul trumps it. Since he is fairly survivable (2+ and 3++), I think sticking with the Fist is probably a fair bet

Not really sure why you had the digital weapons. The claw has shred and the fist means you are wounding on 2s anyway. I know the dice gods can be unkind, but feel you could spend those 10pts better elsewhere.

The meltabomb feels a little out of place as you already had a fist, so you could have numerous Str 10 Ap1 attacks or a single attack Ap 1 attack, might as well collect those points back.

The Wulfen stone...I have mixed feelings about this guy. Furious charge on the thunderwolves is brilliant! But 40pts is a high price to pay, especially on an already pretty pricey HQ unit which will have a bullseye on its head. If you are happy to pay it though I salute you my friend.

So my suggestion would be to run the following to keep him in line with what you have:
Battle Leader
-Thunder Wolf
-Storm Shield
-Runic Armour
-Power Fist
-Wulfen Stone

Shaves about 20pts off and improves his lasting power dramatically.

Quote:
Wolf priest, runic armour
9 bloodclaws, bolt pistols, chainswords, drop pod with storm bolter
9 grey hunters, wolf standard (wolf priest goes here)
Honestly, I feel this is the wrong way round. Your blood claws should be the guys hoping out of the assault vehicle, not the grey hunters.

I feel you could shake up the role of the grey hunters by having them as a melta delivery system. Have a 5 man unit in the drop pod, 1 meltagun and 1 combi-melta on the wolf guard pack leader. Drop them by an ark turn 1 and pop it open. This saves you 51pts, 46pts if you fancy taking a meltabomb on pack leader as well. The enemy then has to use valuable resources to deal with this annoyance rather than the rest of the wolves charging every closer towards their lines.

With these points and the 20 from the HQ you can up the numbers of the blood claws to as close to 15 as possible. Stick them with the wolf priest and zoom up the board in the land raider. They will have great protection in the land raider and are more likely to deal damage charging out of the landraider then they would standing idly next to the drop pod and getting shot to death.

Quote:
5 thunderwolf cavalry, chainsword and bolt pistol (Warlord goes here)
Beautiful. Never leave home without them. However, I know points are tight but a couple of storm shields in this unit would really help them out in combat to take some of the AP2 hits in combat off the rest of the guys. Potentially instead of increasing blood claw numbers? But entirely up to you.

Quote:
Land Raider Crusader, assault cannon, heavy bolter, multi melta
Stormfang Gunship, twin linked multi melta, helfrost destructor, stormstrike missiles
Vindicator, dozer blades, storm bolter
Not really much to add. I personally prefer the stormwolf to the storm fang, many because you get the twin-linked lascannon for free. Also, now that the destructor has been FAQ'd to Ap3, I much prefer the twin-linked cannon over a single shot.

Overall I like the list, I'd just tweak it a little to make it flow a little better.

Last edited by Shadow's Fury; 11-24-14 at 07:22 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode