1.5k Drop Pod Assault - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 1.5k Drop Pod Assault

Never tried a drop pod assault list so I'm thinking for my new chapter of going with it, this is the list I've come up with so far.

HQ
Tigurius - 165
Captain - Storm Bolter / Power Fist / Artificer - 150

Troops
Tactical Squad (x9) - Plasma Gun / Combi Plasma - 161
Drop Pod - Locator Beacon - 45

Tactical Squad (x9) - Plasma Gun / Combi Plasma - 161

Tactical Squad (x9) - Flamer / Combi Flamer - 151
Drop Pod - 35

Elites
Sternguard (x5) - 5 Combi-Melta - 170
Drop pod - 35

Ironclad - Storm bolter / Melta Gun - 135

Heavy Support
Stormraven Gunship - twin linked lascannon / twin linked multi melta - 200

Total - 1498

Last edited by Words_of_Truth; 08-04-14 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-14, 08:31 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Personnally I feel the flyer doesn't belong in the list if your going for a dp list.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-14, 04:05 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
Personnally I feel the flyer doesn't belong in the list if your going for a dp list.
I use a pair of fliers in my Drop Pod list and call it a 100% reserve list instead, Stormravens and Drop Pods all friggin' day with my Blood Angel army. May not be a full Drop Pod list....but yeah. On to more constructive thoughts:

Couple questions for the list,

What is the purpose of the Captain?

I have done both the Melta and (flame) Template Drop Pods, but by putting the Beacons on the Plasma Pods I assume they are coming in first. Is this because you face a lot of stuff you need Plasma for T1?

Personally I would drop the Captain for a full Sternguard, swap the Ironclad so it has two Heavy Flamers for when it comes in, and swap a Beacon to the Sternguard Pod so they're coming in T1. Seeing the strongest piece of armour melt away before it gets to shoot is always rewarding, and with Special Issue Ammo you remain versatile even if there isn't anything with an AV to melt. Also, remember your Pods for the Tactical squads have Objective Secured. Super handy, but I have forgotten at time of deployment a time or two.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 07-28-14 at 04:07 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-14, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I put the captain in for a bit of close combat support if things get to close but also because I converted a model I really like.

I'm dropping the plasma in first because I'm planning on using the ultramarine tactic to reroll misses to try and mitigate the overheating, so it's better if they all come in at the same time. I don't face many tough vehicles, it's mostly skimmers and light vehicles, but there's also the occasional squad of tough units like wraithknights, riptides etc.

As for the Stormraven I figured after a drop pod assault support would arrive in the form of aircraft.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-14, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
I put the captain in for a bit of close combat support if things get to close but also because I converted a model I really like.
I recently (see also: temporarily) stopped playing a Captain model that I spent days converting and painting because of the Psychic Phase. As the lone CC unit in your army he will be in over his head the moment he gets into base contact because his squad is going to fold even if he wins the Challenge he invariably will be in. If you had him in a CC unit doing CC things I could get behind that but as is: I feel like you could spend your points elsewhere to make your shooting shootier. Hell, you could take another ML2 Psyker and put a couple more SG in the squad and make them something else entirely on the battlefield. Tigger is ML3, isn't he?

Quote:
I'm dropping the plasma in first because I'm planning on using the ultramarine tactic to reroll misses to try and mitigate the overheating, so it's better if they all come in at the same time.
Ah! That makes sense.

Quote:
As for the Stormraven I figured after a drop pod assault support would arrive in the form of aircraft.
Go forth and enjoy. My SR of the same loadout has been integral in my fight for air supremacy. Played right (and with a bit of luck) I have been able to take down a lot with mine, including a pair of pesky Heldrakes that I face all the time.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-14, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
I recently (see also: temporarily) stopped playing a Captain model that I spent days converting and painting because of the Psychic Phase. As the lone CC unit in your army he will be in over his head the moment he gets into base contact because his squad is going to fold even if he wins the Challenge he invariably will be in. If you had him in a CC unit doing CC things I could get behind that but as is: I feel like you could spend your points elsewhere to make your shooting shootier. Hell, you could take another ML2 Psyker and put a couple more SG in the squad and make them something else entirely on the battlefield. Tigger is ML3, isn't he?

Ah! That makes sense.

Go forth and enjoy. My SR of the same loadout has been integral in my fight for air supremacy. Played right (and with a bit of luck) I have been able to take down a lot with mine, including a pair of pesky Heldrakes that I face all the time.

Yeah I'll drop him and perhaps add more sternguard, I would like to use him sometime though, if I were to give him a CC unit what do you suggest?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-14, 05:52 PM

Make him the stern guard sgt

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-14, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
Make him the stern guard sgt
I think he's to fancy for a sgt, he has an iron halo and a plumed helm from the FW champion pack, the original model is the web exclusive 1 model, the one with all the skulls and holding a storm bolter.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-14, 06:11 PM

Just means you need to bling out your stern guard more :p

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-14, 04:07 AM

Quote:
if I were to give him a CC unit what do you suggest?
Command Squad with Storm Shields/whatever CCWs float your boat, though to be fair I'd peel the Stormbolter off and replace it with a Lightning Claw. It pains me to see Captains having the highest Initiative out of the SM collection (barring Unique Characters) slowed down by Terminators/Terminator armour when it comes time to pull off a Sweeping Advance. Personally I would love to play a FistiClaw Captain with Command squad kitted 5x SS, 2x MG, 3x PS in a Drop Pod, but that's not necessarily the squad that would work for you.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode