1,500pts Raven Guard - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-14, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Shadow's Fury's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 1,500pts Raven Guard

I bet you guys are already fed up of me

So I had some trial games this weekend, and really starting to fall in love with the raven guard tactics. They not be toughest, but they are certainly fun! But now I'm starting to get into competitive mode, see what I can build that still sticks to their fluff but will stand its ground in tournaments. So, without further ado:

HQ - 145pts
Chaplain
-Jump pack
-Teeth of Terra
-Meltabomb

Troops - 460pts
Tactical squad (x10)
-Meltagun
-Missile launcher with Flakk
-Razorback

Tactical Squad (x10)
-Meltagun
-Missile launcher with Flakk
-Razorback

Elites - 445pts
Sternguard (x10)
-2x Combi-plasmas
-Rhino

Vanguard Vets
-Jump Packs
-Storm Shields (x2)
-Lightening Claws (x2)

(all gear on separate models, sgt. takes a storm shield)

Fast Attack - 444pts
Assault Squad (x10)
-Jump packs
-Flamer (x2)

Assault Squad (x10)
-Jump packs
-Flamer (x2)

Scout Bike Squad (x3)
-Astartes Grenade Launcher (x2)
-Combi Melta
-Locator Beacon

Total: 1494pts (some lucky guy gets a meltabomb)

So what have we got?
Chaplain goes with the vanguard vets. Reason for the storm shield on the sgt is for 50:50 look out sir. He can take the low Ap shots, and then try to pass on the higher AP to someone else

Tactical squads combat squad, leaving the missile launchers at home while the melta heads up the board

Sternguard also combat squads, but travel up together in rhino

Assault squads can either deepstrike up the board (with the help of the bike squad) or hop up the board

Scouts are a general nuisance, keep out of harms way and pick on a weak transport/ unit /back line ordinance weapon. Would melta bikes be better? Yes! But really like the model and the grenade launchers, gives me some blast templates to play with.

Issues with this list?
No fantastic long distance anti tank
Relying on two shots for flyer support
Horde armies will be tricky, but not impossible to deal with
Vanguard are expensive for what they are likely to achieve
Bit light on scoring

I'm sure there are more problems you guys can spot but there we go. Looking for some advice/comments on how well you think it would perform. Hoping to trial it soon first hand.
I am really trying to stay clear of allies, keeping it a pure raven guard force. Also, I know they are expensive, but love my Vanguard squad and so would really like to keep it in if at all possible. Happy to add more to them, but would like to keep their gear as is.

Cheers Guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-14, 04:40 PM
Noxnoctis22's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow's Fury View Post
Chaplain goes with the vanguard vets. Reason for the storm shield on the sgt is for 50:50 look out sir. He can take the low Ap shots, and then try to pass on the higher AP to someone else
I use the same tactic, Chaplain + VV = lots of re-rolled attacks. The SS is a nice idea for the "Look Out Sir". As for the other gear I don't use it. VV die just as fast as any other SM so I tend not to give them an gear but if you have the points go for it.

Quote:
Tactical squads combat squad, leaving the missile launchers at home while the melta heads up the board
Why mess with what works right?

Quote:
Sternguard also combat squads, but travel up together in rhino
It's a Rhino or a Drop Pod with them. If you didn't like a Drop Pod then I don't see a problem with a Rhino. With them being RG they'll get to where they gotta be fast anyway.

Quote:
Assault squads can either deepstrike up the board (with the help of the bike squad) or hop up the board
I like having the ASM following up behind the Rhinos and leap frogging them to assault. It does leave them a bit exposed but I'm not a fan of deepstriking

Quote:
Issues with this list?
No fantastic long distance anti tank
Relying on two shots for flyer support
Horde armies will be tricky, but not impossible to deal with
Vanguard are expensive for what they are likely to achieve
Bit light on scoring
These issues seem to be the problem with most RG lists. Maybe not all but of them but the ones that come up the most. You find solutions for those, please share them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-14, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Shadow's Fury's Flag is: United Kingdom

Cheers for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxnoctis22 View Post
I use the same tactic, Chaplain + VV = lots of re-rolled attacks. The SS is a nice idea for the "Look Out Sir". As for the other gear I don't use it. VV die just as fast as any other SM so I tend not to give them an gear but if you have the points go for it.
Yeah, I was really racking my brain as to the pros and cons of every HQ for this list. Went for this guy in the end as I felt his consistent boost was better than the randomness gained from a librarian.
I know that the survival prospects of a vet are not great, but I just love the idea of these guys bounding across the field straight into the enemy fire. If they die, then they have successfully taken bullets away from everything else. Are they an expensive distraction? Hell yeah! But I feel thats their beauty, a make or break unit.
Quote:
It's a Rhino or a Drop Pod with them. If you didn't like a Drop Pod then I don't see a problem with a Rhino. With them being RG they'll get to where they gotta be fast anyway.
I've gone with the rhino mainly because I don't have a drop pod, but also because once it has done its job it can still move. Can either redeploy the stern else well, or use as a back up transport incase another falls.

Quote:
I like having the ASM following up behind the Rhinos and leap frogging them to assault. It does leave them a bit exposed but I'm not a fan of deepstriking
Deepstriking is very situational, when it works its fantastic, when it doesn't it screws you over. I will more likely than not have them on the ground moving up, but its nice to have the option if it would prove more advantageous to do so.

Quote:
These issues seem to be the problem with most RG lists. Maybe not all but of them but the ones that come up the most. You find solutions for those, please share them
It is a shame really, and what makes them too much a risk for some. Our strength really lies in our ability to get up the board quickly...so long as you aren't fast attack...wait...hang on...
Anti-flyer can be brought in via stormtalons/ravens (fit nicely with the fluff) or Flakk, but its fitting them into a list which still takes advantage of the RG chapter tactics.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-14, 06:33 PM
Noxnoctis22's Flag is: USA

I completely agree with you on the HQ selection. I'd rather have a decent HQ that performs consistently over a "great" HQ that can vary on performance. Knowing what you're going to get out of the HQ consistently over each game I think helps with an overall plan of attack.

I don't have a Drop Pod models either, but I do have 2 Rhinos. So every time some suggests a Drop Pod in a list I tend to ignore it. I'd rather work with the models I have. Plus the Rhino Rush that the RG can have works well enough.

Damn you're right! Those Stormtalons/ravens fit in nicely with things fluff wise. Now it comes down to points...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode