Any Advice for first Blood Angels army? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-14, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Default Any Advice for first Blood Angels army?

So I'm thinking my HQ will be a librarian (don't know what gear yet.) Any suggestions for my main force or should I go with the battle-force. This will be my first army?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-14, 04:31 AM
So be it.

Tons! Ok first of all, welcome to the chapter we're kind of the best Not, you know, competitively, but in awesomeness for sure

A libby is a good place to start, I suggest throwing on a jump pack and divination. The battleforce is a pretty good valued buy, giving you (essentially) a 10 man assault squad (RAS) and a 10 man tactical squad (Tac.) with a Rhino. It also gives you the special weapons you will be using for your jumpers, so that's a plus. If you're trying to use the battleforce to save money you can definitely make decent lists, here's a few tips on that.

First of all, get razorback turrets on ebay (or if you have any lying around that's fine too). The rhino is great and all, but mobil fire-power is where BA excel (well, that any black-armored maniacs with chainswords!!) so...

One idea is to use the Tac. squad as is (use the ML and one special weapon for them, then another for the jumpers) and then combine the DC and RAS into one 10 man squad. That's what I did, and it's worked out great - gives me some nice RAS models that don't look overly crazy. If you want to play DC, however, you could go the opposite way: Theoretically, you could combine bits to get 10 jumpers and also 10 bolter DC (which is preferred if walking, btw). Another idea is to use the sets as they are and throw the RAS in a razorback, saving the packs for later kits.

Battleforce aside, RAS are the core of BA armies. I generally take a libby with JP along with 30 RAS with varying gear (I'll talk about that below) and a priest equipped with a Power Sword and a JP. After that, anything mobile and shooty is good; Razorbacks are decent, Baal Predators are great, MM attack bikes are great, Stormravens are fantastic, Vindicators are fantastic, Landspeeders can get good... You get the idea. Fast and shooty. A wall of av13 is also tons of fun to watch an enemy deal with... The things don't really die.

So, RAS gear. The old standard used to be 2x meltas and a PF, and I still love that; however, it only goes so far, as vehicles are taken much less often than they used to be. My current favourite load out (suggested by @ntaw ) is 2 flamers and 2 hand flamers: For 220 points you get 10 guys with 29 attacks on the charge and 19 the rest of the time along with 4 flamers templates. Sure, two of them are only s3, but they really add up.

I hope this has been helpful, if you have any specific questions make sure to let me know (either here or through PM)

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-14, 11:55 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

There are two main ways to run Blood Angels, and a few other less popular builds.

Firstly, there's the Jumper Spam list. Run a Jump Libby, Mephiston, 30-40 Assault Marines with Meltaguns and Power Swords on the Sergeants and 1 Jump Priest per Squad. Use whatever fire support you like with your spare points - Storm Ravens, Land Speeder Typhoons, Devastator squads etc are all good choices.

Then there's Mechanised BA, also known as Razorspam. Lots of 5 man Assault Squads with Las/Plas Razorbacks and a Special weapon gives you mobile scoring and lots of firepower, and it can be complemented with Predators (AV13 Wall is an offshoot of this archetype that takes 6 Predators and a couple less Razorbacks) or any other firepower you'd like to include. Vindicators or Attack Bikes with Multimeltas work well so that you've got a better answer than Lascannons against things like Land Raiders and Monoliths.

There are also a couple of other builds, such as Dantewing, which is basically Dante, an assload of Sang Guard, and that's about it. You can also get Skies of Blood, which is Storm Ravens and Land Speeders (either Typhoon or Multimelta/Heavy Flamer) plus scoring units. Bikes are also a good choice with a Priest nearby to supply FnP, and a Land Raider with Hammernators and a Priest is always nice to have in any army.

The only things in the codex that I'd really avoid is Death Company, Chaplains/Reclusiarchs, Captains, any Special Character apart from Mephiston and Corbulo and Whirlwinds. Most everything else is very useable. I particularly like 5 man units of Vanguard (or a 10 man unit that can combat squad, which is more flexible) with a Power Fist, so you can get instant assaults against things like Manticores, or tie up and slowly beat down backfield scoring units like Fire Warriors and Jetbikes.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-14, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response first off.1, what do you mean by RAS? Also I think after my battle force, I think I will go for one ten man tac squad, a devastator squad 1-2 Assault Squads, a rhino or other vehicle and some typhoons. I played a game with a friend with part of his army and really liked those land-speeders. I don't want to go with the death company right now as I love the BA's fluff but they just don't suit me. I prefer to use my assaults after a little bit of softening to break their defense. At least that's what I think. Please point me to a better strategy if not.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-14, 02:04 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

To elaborate on some things you can do with the battleforce (where I re-started my Blood Angel army a while back), I made the 10 man Tactical squad into a 10 man Assault squad with no jump packs. In my games, having a Drop Pod with 2x Melta Guns inside coming out T1 is absolutely key. Others may very well prefer to break them in half and put them in Razorbacks, or even a Land Raider. I play the above flamer squad Jamob suggested in a Land Raider
Redeemer with a Priest (Power Sword) and a Captain (Power Sword and Power Axe) and it pays off massively provided I can keep the heat off my tank while it delivers them.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-14, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Are the death company really worth it? And if so what strategies do you recommend?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-14, 09:29 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Death Company aren't worth it, especially with the 6th edition nerfs to assault and FnP. Not when 5 out of every 6 missions are objective based.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-14, 09:56 PM
So be it.

Well, it depends on what kind of a game you want to play. If you're going purely competitive, then they're probably not the right unit to take. If you're going for tons of fun though, they're it. Consider Astorath with 60 Death Company (I know, that's almost 1500 without upgrades!) running down the field and killing everything. Tons of fun.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-14, 10:09 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I use DC in games above 2k, very rarely below.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-14, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Should I have 1 or more Tac squad in my list? Also, I think I will be using my RAS as forces to break the enemies defense after the lines are pounded by my devastator squads and other forces. Also I will have some land-speeders. What pattern should I use?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode