2K Malleus Inquisitor + Raven Guard 'Air Cavalry' - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Default 2K Malleus Inquisitor + Raven Guard 'Air Cavalry'

+++Ordo Astartes report+++
+++Excerpt from Document: ‘Enlightened Sons+++
+++Marked for deletion 849.M41+++

Primary Detachment

Codex Inquisition (520 pts)
(1HQ, 1 E)

‘You think us stranded. You think us defeated. Ha! Hear that, heretic? That is the sound of your death approaching…’
– Sergeant Vodius, the Ash World Insurrection

HQ
ORDO MALLEUS (Ordo Astartes) INQUISITOR = 118 pts
Warlord
Terminator armour, Psycannon and Nemesis Daemon hammer, 1 servo-skulls, The Grimoire of True Names.
Psyker: Divination (Mastery Level 1).

Elites
INQUISITORIAL HENCHMEN WARBAND = 402 pts
Acolytex4: 4 x carapace armour, 3xPlasma gun, Hot-shot lasgun.
Crusader:
Servitor x3: 2x Plasma Cannon.
LAND RAIDER Prometheus:

Ally Detachment

Codex Space Marines (1480pts)
Raven Guard Chapter Tactics
(1 HQ, 1 E, 1 T, 1 FA, 1 HS, + Formation)
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/S...bird_flyer.jpg

HQ
Captain = 150
Artificer Armour, Combi Melta , Lightning claw, Jump Pack.

Elites
Vanguard Veterans x5 = 210 pts
3x Plasma Pistol, Power Axe, Power Sword, Power Fist, Jump packs.

Troops
Scout Squad x10 = 110

Fast Attack
Assault Squad x10 = 195
Power Sword, 2x Flamer.

Heavy Spport
Stormeagle Gunship = 300 pts
Twin-linked Multi-melta, Vengeance launcher, 2x Twin-linked Lascannon.

Formation (Storm Wing)

Fast Attack
Stormtalon Gunship = 140 pts
Twin-linked Assault cannon, Twin-linked lascannon.

Stormtalon Gunship = 145 pts
Twin-linked Assault cannon, Typhoon ML.

Heavy Spport
Stormraven Gunship = 230 pts
Twin-linked Plasma cannon, Twin-linked Multi-melta, 4x Stormstrike missiles, 2x Huricane Bolter.

‘We are the skyborne, the angels macabre, the death that strikes from above. We cut the life-cords of our foes even before they realise the mortal danger they are in. We are the storm incarnate, and we will not be denied.’
– Captain Hougandez of the Mortifactors

This Army is a result of a new passion of mine, Raven Guard Jump and Air power. All jump troops will be embarked on the Flyer Transports, Vanguard on the Raven with my Captain, and the Assault on the Eagle. The scout squad will be in combat squads and flank marching, to keep them safe and late game objective grabbing / line breaking. That will leave my =][= and retinue, alone at the start of the game on the table. Their Transport, a Land Raider Prometheus, has the special rule "Improved Comms", Giving me a +1 on all my reserve Rolls. 74% of my army will be held in reserve and the Prometheus will be vital to getting into the fight in a timely manner. My =][= warlord will also try and use his Divination and WL skill to help guarantee the air cavalry arrives on time. Survive turn 1 is job # 1, Air superiority is job #2 and then let loose the hounds. I am well aware of a glaring weakness in the list, a small number of scoring units. I plan on trying to overwhelm my opponent with Air power so they loose site of my weakness.

I choose to make this a =][= Primary detachment force, though it could have been the other way. It could be played as a SM Primary force with no formation. I know some will not like the high # of and pts spent on flyers. Maybe it is a "flyer spamm" list but i feel it is supported by the fluff. I could, in a pinch, squeeze 15 pts out of my henchmen squad and 5 from my stormwing for a change (maybe a 3rd Servitor with plasma cannon?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 02:51 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Perhaps i am missing something here, but don't you need 2 x troops in your primary detachment and 1 x troops in your allied?

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Codex =][= has a special force organization chart. In it, your only required unit is the HQ. You also have a optional HQ and 3 elites.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 05:16 AM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

It's technically legal; however the weakness in this list is that there's only two scoring units in the army, and not a single one of those models has better than a 4+ save.

Wait, no, the Crusader has a Storm Shield.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
It's technically legal; however the weakness in this list is that there's only two scoring units in the army, and not a single one of those models has better than a 4+ save.

Wait, no, the Crusader has a Storm Shield.
Yes it is a weakness for sure, though i do plan on Combat squading the 10man scout unit.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 10:21 AM

My codex is at home but I'm pretty sure you can only use the special foc chart for an inquisitorial attachment, you need Coatez to take them as a primary detachment.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
My codex is at home but I'm pretty sure you can only use the special foc chart for an inquisitorial attachment, you need Coatez to take them as a primary detachment.
Nope and Nope.....
Quote:
INQUISITORIAL DETACHMENTS
You can use the rules for Inquisitorial detachments presented here in order to include Inquisitors when using the rules for Choosing Your Army in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

INCLUDING INQUISITORS IN YOUR ARMY
When you choose an army, Inquisitors may be taken as a primary detachment or as a special form of allied detachment known as an Inquisitorial detachment.

If you take Inquisitors as a primary detachment, use the Inquisitorial detachment Force Organisation chart instead of the primary detachment Force Organisation chart. Alternatively, an army may include an Inquisitorial detachment in addition to any other detachments. Other detachments, such as allied detachments, additional primary detachments and fortifications can be taken normally. So, for example, you could field an army with an Imperial Guard primary detachment, an allied detachment of Space Marines, and an Inquisitorial detachment.

The Inquisitorial detachment Force Organisation chart has boxes corresponding to different battlefield roles. Each black box is a choice you must take in order to include this detachment as part of your army, whilst each grey box is a unit you can include as part of this detachment.

If you take the Inquisitorial detachment as your primary detachment, then Inquisitorial Henchmen Warbands are scoring units.
edit
This is from the digital Codex: =][=. You may be thinking about the Codex: Grey Knights which i don't and never have used( though i do own it).

In Codex =][=, the Force Organization chat has 1 required HQ, 1 optional HQ and 3 Optional Elites.

Last edited by Lord Lorne Walkier; 12-31-13 at 10:48 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 01:00 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Basically, it's a loop hole so you don't need to run a whole bunch of Troops. The Inquisition 'Codex' allows you to Run an Inquisitor plus his retinue. There are no troops in the codex, because they are designed as basically the same Elite choice as C:GK. Now, by making it the Primary Detachment, the Elite becomes scoring, so they become troops, and yes, it's true that the Inq FOC is 1-2 HQ and 0-3 Elites. Nothing stops Walkier from making the Marines the Primary Detachment, because the Inquisitor can still be the Warlord, and if anything it gives him more access to using Heavy Support and Fast Attack from his Raven Guard, but since he's also abusing the Formation, the point is moot.

The army is also based around Forgeworld, so it's a lot like the tau army that I'm currently working on; it's just a lot of optional rules that min-max the army for exactly what he wants, which is fliers.

As I said before, there are 18 Scoring wounds in the army, all with 4+ saves. One is a 5+, but has a Storm Shield. Even with combat squads that's very fragile. Tau will have a field day with this list because of how much anti-air they can bring. I'd probably try to design a version of this list that doesn't require FW, in case you have opponents that get upset at it; in which case I'd probably give the Inquisitor Psychic Communion instead, or an Aegis with Comms.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-14, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lorne Walkier View Post
This is from the digital Codex: =][=. You may be thinking about the Codex: Grey Knights which i don't and never have used( though i do own it).
I have the =I= digi-dex, but it seems my brain malfunctioned entirely when i read that section. Ta for pointing this out

It seems like a fun and original list, and i'd love to try it out, but I don't think i'd have the confidence to build an army around it.

At 2k points you will have a lot of stuff gunning for your scoring units and I don't think the flyers could do enough damage to draw the focus away. Depending on the mission your scouts are also going to lack mobility when they get onto the table.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-14, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
I have the =I= digi-dex, but it seems my brain malfunctioned entirely when i read that section. Ta for pointing this out

It seems like a fun and original list, and i'd love to try it out, but I don't think i'd have the confidence to build an army around it.

At 2k points you will have a lot of stuff gunning for your scoring units and I don't think the flyers could do enough damage to draw the focus away. Depending on the mission your scouts are also going to lack mobility when they get onto the table.
Indeed. I have some thoughts to using the empty Flyers to taxi them to a late game objective.

This list is meant to be fun though i think i could compete with it also. Keeping the Scouring units alive will be a hard job but i am aware of the issue. Flanking them will keep them safe for 2 turns and if i choose a good entrance they my be safe for the whole game. I will see it it is a fatal flaw or not soon enough.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode