Imperial fists, fortress list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-13, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Default Imperial fists, fortress list

Hi folks, i have been painting away at some imperial fists for a short while now (will be posting pictures in next few days) mainly just to use up the spare space marine miniatures i have.

Then i came up with an idea of an imperial fists army in a fortress of redemption. partly for the fluff of imperial fists in a fortress and partly it seemed like not to bad of an idea.

The fortress will be converted using the bastion miniature as the center medium building (minus the heavy bolters) and putting some fire points on the two annex buildings either side. and then painting the whole thing yellow.

So here is the list, there is some tactical ideas at the bottom i had. Any suggestions on how to make this work better would be awesome, and also pointing out any major flaws i might of missed.

librarian: 90
lvl 2

tactical sqaud(5): 85
plasma cannon

tactical sqaud(5): 130
grav gun, combi grav, rhino

devastator sqaud(10): 240
4xmissile + flak

4xmissile + flak

devastator sqaud(6): 164
4x lascannon

fortress of redemption: 290
4x heavy bolter, krak storm

Ok so the stand alone tactical squad and the dev squads deploy inside then buildings of the fortress, with the ten man dev squads combat squading most games. So 5 can mount the heavy bolters, giving them bolter mastery and tank hunter if need be shooting at landspeeders or something. The others with the sergeant to operate the TL icerus lascannon, giving it tank hunter aswell. and if need be operating the krakstorm missiles encase i want to shoot it at tanks, as it would also get tank hunter.

Deploying the rhinos in safe positions so they can ride out for objectives after a few round of shooting. also to provide some grav gun fun if any armour 2+ dudes arrive.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-13, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James littler View Post
Hi folks, i have been painting away at some imperial fists for a short while now (will be posting pictures in next few days) mainly just to use up the spare space marine miniatures i have.
Personally looking forward to those, as someone with at least one army that has a heavy focus on yellow I'm constantly on the lookout for advice and tips to make it look less streaky.

Quote:
Then i came up with an idea of an imperial fists army in a fortress of redemption. partly for the fluff of imperial fists in a fortress and partly it seemed like not to bad of an idea.
I've never used a fortress of redemption myself, mostly due to that point cost and partly because I've slowly been moving away from fortifications as of late. That being said, looks like a pretty interesting idea you have, though if some of the side area's have the appearance of pre-fabricated and ready to move structures, you'd definitely fit that theme even more.

Quote:
librarian: 90
lvl 2
Not to much to say about this guy, whats your overall plan for him? Wheres he going and what powers are you taking?

As he stands, a master of the forge might be a better buy, especially thanks to his bolster defenses rule which would allow you to fortify something else and spread your forces a little.

Quote:
tactical sqaud(5): 85
plasma cannon
I've always been a fan of the plasmacannon, though I'm not entirely sure if its the best buy here. If they are going to man the missiles then maybe a missile launcher instead?

Quote:

If your going five man squads then do consider razorbacks as transports of choice. Gives you even more heavy weapons to use against your opponent. Also I'm not sure the grav guns will be the greatest fit for these guys, or at least not all of them. I'd suggest heavy bolters, flamers, or meltaguns on some of these squads.

Quote:
4xmissile + flak

4xmissile + flak

devastator sqaud(6): 164
4x lascannon
Considering your tactics for these squads I really like what I see here; personally I've never been much of a fan of putting four heavy weapons in a five man squad and will still recommend going two and two, but beyond that I have nothing more to say.

Quote:
fortress of redemption: 290
4x heavy bolter, krak storm
Like I said before, I have no experience with the fortress and so will not comment; though where its large price cost would normally deter me, given the fact that I'm considering lascannon/missile launcher centurions I think thats a fear I'm getting over.

Quote:
Deploying the rhinos in safe positions so they can ride out for objectives after a few round of shooting. also to provide some grav gun fun if any armour 2+ dudes arrive.
The problem I have with the grav gun tactic here is your low number of shots. If any of these squads had access to two, or a heavy grav cannon, then I wouldn't have a problem but just be wary that 2/3 shots per unit might not get that much done.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-13, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback.

The grav guns are something i still have to try out in game, but i mainly wanted them in there as the rest of the force is severely lacking in ap2 weaponry. but i have more marines and expecially devastator marines than i know what to do with i will probably paint up a few extra heavy bolter and flamer guys etc to have a play around with.

I would prefer to run razorbacks, but i cant justify droping 60 points for the extra guns, if i play 1750 then i probably will. but all tournaments i go to and gaming clubs is 1500

Buying the crackled earth paint stuff today for the bases, so should have some pictures ready in a bit.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-13, 07:56 PM

Yes, switch out all weapons on tac squads to heavy bolters and maximize potential with IF. Add void shield to fortress since it is a bargain at only one 25 point cost for entire structure. Get rid of libby and take chapter master for an orbital or as already suggested, take a MoF to bolster (battlements count as ruin = can be bolstered now)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode