Help Finishing 1500 Points of IFs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-13, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Default Help Finishing 1500 Points of IFs

I've stripped down what I have to be bare bones in an attempt to clear out as much space for options. This is what I have for my IF army, the only things made up and set in stone (or set with glue, whatever) are the librarian who I modeled with a big old SS already (which could be a Shield Eternal...), my terminators w/2x LCs and 3x TH/SS, and their LRC (that is fully magnetized). Aside from that this list is barely even assembled, really. I'll be borrowing Rhinos from my BA army for a loooong time. Here's the list:

HQ

Libby w/terminator armour, staff, ML2, SS

ELITES

Dreadnought w/2x TLAC

Terminator Assault squad w/ 3x TH/SS, 2x LC in a LRC w/MM

TROOPS

2x 10 man Tactical squads in Rhinos

HEAVY SUPPORT

10 man Devastator squad w/4x MLs (could go LCs, but MLs stay much more relevant against a unit of troops)

FORTIFICATION

ADL w/QG

Things I'm looking for:

What weapons to arm the Tacticals with. (The sergeants of every squad of marines will have a SB, but that's more aesthetic than anything else. My opponents and my own sense of OCD are cool with that little proxy if they don't actually have the weapon)
How people feel about MLs vs. FMLs, and whether to combat squad the unit splitting the heavy weapons up essentially for spliting fire purposes. Tank Hunter makes 4 shots overkill in a few circumstances.
If it's worth it to give the Libby the SE for EW. 4+ Deny the Witch rolls are nice, but I rarely if ever face someone who uses psykers at this point.

and most importantly:

What to do with that remaining 130 points!

The special weapons for the Tacticals will come out of that, but even then I'll have almost 100 points left. I do generally face a lot of fliers, and have considered buying a Hunter tank to hang out with the Dreadnought and Devastators behind the ADL.

Thanks!

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-13, 08:57 PM

Lord Pestilice's Flag is: USA

What about a Thunder Fire Cannon?

What do you mostly face on the battlefield when playing your local group? Knowing this will give us a better idea of what to advise.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-13, 09:06 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Have you considered turning your Rhinos into Lascannon Razorbacks? I don't know if you plan to rush the squads, or maybe combat squad them... the Razorbacks will give you some anti tank that you're lacking. I'd suggest kitting the Tacticals with meltagun/Missile Launcher... Keep the half with the ML back, like on the Aegis (someone has to man it), and use the forward group with the close range MM in the Razorbacks... though admittedly the Lascannons can hide in the back.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-13, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pestilice View Post
What about a Thunder Fire Cannon?
I have considered this, but am still on the fence. Mostly because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pestilice View Post
What do you mostly face on the battlefield when playing your local group?
I don't face horde armies. Most often, MEQ in the form of other marines or chaos marines. On occasion I face IG, Tau, and Necrons, but not often enough to warrant buying a new model for such an occasion to arise. I've been contemplating changing the arms on the Dreadnought to accommodate a higher rate of fire. What do you think of that idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
Have you considered turning your Rhinos into Lascannon Razorbacks?
I could easily do this, as the Rhinos are on loan from my BA and I have pretty much two of every turret aside from las/plas (only one until I really want to make another) and heavy flamers (none. I think this is a bad option). My thing with using the Rhinos was to keep the squads at full strength, it's hard enough not getting squads that large wiped away by Heldrakes or Vindicators.

Quote:
the Razorbacks will give you some anti tank that you're lacking
-OR- I could use two five man devastator squads, one MLs and one LCs. What do you think of that option? Keep in mind I have 130 points to spare here, more if I drop half of the ML Devs.

Quote:
I'd suggest kitting the Tacticals with meltagun/Missile Launcher
Even if I'm not combat squadding them? I get two weapons shooting out of the top hatch, so if I'm not mobile that turn I can still take a heavy weapon shot. Plus I really use transports to hinder LoS if they make it to the late game objective grabs.

Quote:
like on the Aegis (someone has to man it)
The Devastators will be manning the ADL. Tank Hunter with a twin-linked skyfire/interceptor weapon? Yes fucking please.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-13, 09:55 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Keep in mind that if your Devs are manning the ADL, you could lose use of half your firepower depending on what you're shooting at. Without Flakk, if you Skyfire, you might be wasting missiles on snapshots, or not firing at all. What I'd suggest if you want to use the Devs is to Combat Squad the Devestators, OR grab a 5man squad of Autocannons, and use that one with the Aegis. that way at least all the firepower is similiar, you have some throw away wounds, and your missile launchers are still doing missile'y things at all times.

Another option, which was never mentioned, is going with a Stormraven over the Crusader.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-13, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Keep in mind that if your Devs are manning the ADL, you could lose use of half your firepower depending on what you're shooting at.
My thought process here:

T1: no fliers, no problem
T2: if fliers enter, interceptor means I'm not firing next turn and if they don't show up then no problem
T3: see T2
T4/T5: by this point my opponent has either closed in on that squad and I have other priorities or I've wasted what I need to waste and no longer care about snap shot-ing 4 heavy weapons.

Conversely, what I have considered doing is doing a ten man squad w.2x LC and 2x FML and CSing them so there's two heavies in each CS. That way the Flakk can man the QG and the LCs can do what they do, both with 3 marines as meat shield (yes, the sergeant is included in this even though he has a Signum). What do you think about that?

Quote:
grab a 5man squad of Autocannons
This can't happen, ACs aren't available to SM Devastator squads.

Quote:
Another option, which was never mentioned, is going with a Stormraven over the Crusader.
I don't feel like Stormravens fit in with IF, and the two that I have are most certainly staying BA oriented (one's painted, the other I keep in a drawer until game time because of how long it took to paint the first one). Also, with a LRC I have the ability to charge T2 if my opponent moves forward. With the SR the soonest that is happening is T3 if you Fly on the board...and really, why the heck would you not so early in the game and IF the SR comes in T2.

Back to the Tactical squads for a moment:

I'm torn on even taking a heavy weapon. I would really like to rely on other things to do armour damage, and leave my Troops to shred other Troops. I was thinking of leaving them all bolters and only taking a PG for the squad in case some TEQ/CC threat gets up in my grill. This means I'm never losing shots to Snap Shots on the move and I take the most advantage of Bolter Drill with the few guys with bolters. It also limits their effective range to 24/12", but hey. That's what the Rhinos are for. Thoughts?

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Just a revamped list with some of the things we're talking about in mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
HQ

Libby w/terminator armour, staff, ML2, SS

ELITES

Dreadnought w/ TLAC, TLLC

Terminator Assault squad w/ 3x TH/SS, 2x LC in a LRC w/MM

TROOPS

2x 10 man Tactical squads w/ PGs in Rhinos (if I can get another melta gun I will A/B them for sure)

HEAVY SUPPORT

10 man Devastator squad w/2x FMLs, 2x LCs

FORTIFICATION

ADL w/QG
I would CS the Devastators so the Flakk was manning the QG. Dreadnought with TLLC and the LCs in the Devs boost my ability to punch armour, the melta guns in the Tacs I would feel stronger about if I was facing AV14, but at most these days there's a bit of AV13 and mostly AV12 with a side of 11. This leaves me with 25 points. Is there any improvement over the initial list?

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode