Need help against Fliers with DA at 1500 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

lockeF's Flag is: USA

Default Need help against Fliers with DA at 1500

I find most lists I build cannot deal with fliers very well - usually I can kill one with some luck but it costs me the game a lot of times. I am not a fan of the jetfighter and I don't think an Aegis line is enough with my meta. So I've been thinking about allying with BA or Vanilla to get access to the storm raven and with the latter the storm talon as well. If I ally with Vanilla (I know things are subject to change soon but I only imagine them getting better and slightly cheaper, not the fliers of course but troops and HQs) I will take both a talon and raven. As for BA I would obviously only be taking a Raven. I'm having a hard time fleshing out the rest of the list though - I find it lacks in other ways while I'm trying to up my anti-flier.

This is what I have been thinking for the DA side -

HQ
Interrogator Chaplain - bike, Mace of Redemption - 160

Troops
10 man tactical w/melta gun, multi-melta, rhino - 195
5 man tactical w/flakk - 95
5 man tactical w/multi-melta, rhino - 115

Fast Attack
5 Ravenwing Black Knights - 210

Aegis line with Quad Gun - 100

That is 875 points. I don't know how to best support it. I feel I only have one unit that is decent at CC (the bikes), just about nothing for ranged anti-tank, nothing to deal with Nidzilla type lists, or tons of MCs from chaos. I'm not wild about the troop setup. It is what I came up with in regards to using allies as I was having a hard time coming up with a good unit from an allied marine dex to sit on the Aegis line.

So I'm looking for suggestions on incorporating anti-flier units at 1500 in terms of just DA and allies, as well as making this list better at 1500. One of my friends has an undefeated 1500 Chaos/Guard list that he will use in an upcoming campaign and I need something to compete.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 07:46 PM

christopher.dean's Flag is: USA

Put a techmarine on the ADL's quad gun. A 2+ armor save and with a bolstered ADL a 2+ cover. It's basically a tougher, immobile rifleman dread with skyfire and interceptor for 150 points.

You could also use that cover to hide a dev squad with flakk missiles and be able to target separate units.

Build a man a fire, he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he will be warm the rest of his life.

Last edited by christopher.dean; 08-13-13 at 07:50 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 08:09 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Dev Squad with FLAKK missiles.

Allied: Guard with Vendetta. Guard with Hydra. Eldar aircraft. Perhaps the new space marine AA Rhinos.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

If I recall correctly, a techmarine cannot bolster a piece of terrain purchased (i.e,. a fortification). Though having one manning the quad gun doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

Thanks Creon for the suggestions. Vendettas are amazing but I do not like Guard very much as an army. They're good - just not my type of army. I do like Eldar however and their flier is pretty sweet in my opinion.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 08:47 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Well, If you like the eldar and are looking for AA, the Walkers with FLAKK are also a very good unit.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 09:20 PM
Rattlehead

DA have no real in-Codex anti-Flyer. Sure, there's Flakk and the Nephilim, but they're overpriced pieces of unreliable junk.

However.

If you're allowed Forge World, take Mortis Pattern Dreadnoughts. They cost the EXACT same as Riflemen, but have Interceptor and Skyfire when they stand still, and can be a lot cheaper with 2 Missile Launchers or more expensive for Twin Linked Lascannons. They are a great anti-air unit.

If you're not allowed Forge World, then tough luck. Imperial Guard are probably your best option, but Eldar and Tau can be good choices too (neither are Battle Brothers though, so that'll reduce your awesome Guard/DA synergy with Divination). I'm trying an 'Angels of Death' list with Dark Angels and Blood Angels, which seems to be working fairly well at the moment, and it gives you access to the Stormraven. This gives you a Skyfiring Multi-Melta and twin-linked Lascannon on a durable chassis, as well as an offensive punch from the rest of the Blood Angel army.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 06:44 PM

christopher.dean's Flag is: USA

Ahh poo. I just glanced at the FAQ. You can't bolster the ADL. But scouts with camo cloaks would work. Just use the Sergeant to shoot the quad gun. He's got a better ballistic skill.

Build a man a fire, he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he will be warm the rest of his life.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm toying around with blood angels right now as I like the storm raven. But am having a hard time picking an HQ and troops. I need something that packs a punch as my DA are taking the more shooty role.

@Christopher Dean - I've consider scouts with camo and snipers. I'm not 100% sure though.

Would it be overkill to use a dev squad with 4x flakk on my quad gun? In addition to a storm raven? I play against a ton of fliers and FMCs. Usually 2 to 3 in a game. And AV12 always gives me hell.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-13, 12:17 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeF View Post
Would it be overkill to use a dev squad with 4x flakk on my quad gun? In addition to a storm raven? I play against a ton of fliers and FMCs. Usually 2 to 3 in a game. And AV12 always gives me hell.
It wouldn't be overkill but it would be hugely inefficient - Flakk is overcosted by a considerable margin, and since you've already got a Stormraven flying about the place (presumably you've been smart and given it an anti-tank loadout) and a Quad Gun, you should be fine unless you're facing more than 2 Heldrakes or Vendettae - 3 Heldrakes will be taken down fairly quickly, but they'll remove most of your army before you can be sure of their destruction, and while Vendettae have a pretty low damage output in my experience, they excel at destroying anti-air units (other Flyers and sentry guns) which leaves them to drop objective-grabbers on the last turn unopposed.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-13, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
It wouldn't be overkill but it would be hugely inefficient - Flakk is overcosted by a considerable margin, and since you've already got a Stormraven flying about the place (presumably you've been smart and given it an anti-tank loadout) and a Quad Gun, you should be fine unless you're facing more than 2 Heldrakes or Vendettae - 3 Heldrakes will be taken down fairly quickly, but they'll remove most of your army before you can be sure of their destruction, and while Vendettae have a pretty low damage output in my experience, they excel at destroying anti-air units (other Flyers and sentry guns) which leaves them to drop objective-grabbers on the last turn unopposed.

Midnight
Most commonly in tournaments in my town I'm facing 3 helldrakes, nightscythe spam (whichever one is the transport), 3 dakkajets (not that worried), 3 FMCs from deamons, 2 helldrakes and 2 scythes, or a helldrake and a vendetta. I agree with Flakk being overcosted, I guess I'm just so use to fliers kicking my ass that I'm thinking I need like a million guns for them. In which case i'm going to stray away from a dev. squad with 4 x flakk and opt for something else to man my quad gun. Thanks for the input.

For a storm raven I was thinking TL multi-melta and TL assault cannon. I know the lascannon might be more effective but I like the 4 shots rather than 1.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode