2 Twin-Linked Autocannons

Mortis Dreadnought

Mortis Dreadnought

FORTIFICATIONS
Aegis Defence Line
Quad-Gun

Because fuck Flyers, I hate you to the ends of the galaxy. The Tacticals, Azrael, Librarian and Mortis Noughts stand around the Aegis Line spitting out crazy tons of firepower; the Mortis Noughts and Quad-Gun knock out 2 or 3 transports per turn easily, and the Marines gun down what lived inside. The Ravenwing power towards objectives, or, if applicable, Land Raiders, so hopefully this army will have 3 Objectives - two with a Ravenwing Squadron and Deathwing Squad on them, and one unassailable one with the Dakka Bunker on it.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-13, 12:56 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally I don't like the Standard of Devastation. Sure your bolters get a buff, but does that balance out its excessive points cost? Will you make those points back up? That's debatable. More to the point, you're forcing your Tactical Squads to remain close to your Command Squad, limiting your flexibility and possibly making you easy targets for multi-assaults from combat nasties.

Other than that I think this list is fairly solid. The one other comment I'll make is that I feel your HQs are going to be quite vulnerable. I mean, Azrael's no combat slouch, but that Command Squad's not going to protect him from much when the going gets tough, and then that's a significant proportion of your list gone in one dedicated assault.

TL;DR could work very well against some lists but I fear its effectiveness against armies where they can get their elite assault units up close and personal fairly quickly.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-13, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Azrael goes in one of the Tactical Squads, the Command Squad stays as far back as it can whilst still providing it's buff (probably shielded by the Dreads). Azrael is 215pts for Rites of Battle, Scoring on the Wings, 3D6 Leadership/FnP, giving one Tactical Squad a 4++ and tanking hits. Hopefully he'll never have to swing the Sword - he's there to sit at the front of the squad and take hits on his 2+, not deal damage. Like the Librarian, he's a force multiplier.

The Tacticals do have to stay close to the Command Squad, but with 12" deployment + 6" movement, you can reach pretty damn far with 24" range guns, even without movement, and as the enemy has to come towards you to get THEIR guns in range (since the Quad-Gun and Mortis have demeched them and the Terminators). Fastest combat armies are probably Dark Eldar and Blood Angels; Dark Eldar will fall over to Salvo 4 Bolters with only the Talos, Ravager and Dias of Destruction having any real chance of surviving, and combat units will often be charging through cover with insane Overwatch, so I reckon I'm pretty safe there. Blood Angels don't have the model count to survive the Salvo 4, and I can always speed bump with Terminators.

While the Bolter Banner denies you mobility, I've got 2 Ravenwing units (which though small, are hugely mobile), and the Terminators are my rapid response unit (they're fairly mobile as they don't lose anything from movement, and Deep Strike), and that much firepower compensates for the small decrease in movement.

When you ask if I can make the points back, I think I can probably do that in area denial alone. Like Vindicators and OnG Fanatics, nobody really wants to get too close to a setup like this, which allows me to dictate movement, hopefully away from objectives (give a choice - take the objective and eat 32 bolter shots per turn per Tactical squad, sometimes Twin Linked, or stay away and be forced into trying to get the objectives in the last few turns).

The only list I was really scared of when I wrote this was Screamons, but then I remembered they don't exist any more :D

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 06-12-13 at 01:29 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-13, 01:39 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

You make fair points. Though I'd say the armies you'd need to worry most about are Chaos Daemons and Deathwing (because Deep striking nasties hurt). Sure, you'd be able to focus fire one or two squads before they get to assault, but a determined deep strike assault would be messy.
A couple of other things (albeit much less common) that might cause you problems are: 1. Elysian AirCav, seeing as AV12 means Autocannons will be doing less damage on average, and they can have an excessive amount of fliers in a standard list.
2. Imperial Guard packing Ordnance Batteries like Basilisks, Manticores etc. Sure, the RW/DW would manage to get them down if they weren't too well protected, but not before they could inflict some serious pain on your footslogging MEQ.

I'm kind of just poking holes here where there aren't many, but it's good to consider all the options. I'd be interested to see how this fairs competitively.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-13, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
You make fair points. Though I'd say the armies you'd need to worry most about are Chaos Daemons and Deathwing (because Deep striking nasties hurt). Sure, you'd be able to focus fire one or two squads before they get to assault, but a determined deep strike assault would be messy.
Mortis Dreads have Interceptor, and since you can't assault off the Deep Strike I get at least one turn of pretty much full-effect shooting at whosoever wishes to Deep Strike at me. Deathwing could be quite scary though, especially if armed with Plasma Cannons - I'd definitely have to alter deployment and castle in one corner in this instance.

Quote:
A couple of other things (albeit much less common) that might cause you problems are: 1. Elysian AirCav, seeing as AV12 means Autocannons will be doing less damage on average, and they can have an excessive amount of fliers in a standard list.
16 Twin-Linked Skyfire Interceptor shots at BS4, Str7 AP4 is pretty damn good anti-air, but a good point raised anyway.

Quote:
2. Imperial Guard packing Ordnance Batteries like Basilisks, Manticores etc. Sure, the RW/DW would manage to get them down if they weren't too well protected, but not before they could inflict some serious pain on your footslogging MEQ.
That's really quite terrifying and I hadn't thought about it - a Colossus would *really* ruin my day. I guess the Ravenwing and Deathwing would certainly have their work cut out for them in this matchup, and I'd almost certainly be sacrificing them for the good of the army, but it'd probably be a game decided in the first few turns - if the Wings can take down enough armour, the IG should have enough firepower mitigated as to be unable to deal with the Bolter Banner, but if the Wings fail, the artillery will pummel the army's heart into the ground and win in short order.

Quote:
I'm kind of just poking holes here where there aren't many, but it's good to consider all the options.
That's why I put it on Heresy, you're here to see the things I miss. It's the point

Midnight

Midnight

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 03:01 AM

davespil's Flag is: USA

Give the libby a power field generator and keep him by the troops. Any model in within 3" gets 4++.

Have guns, will travel...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-13, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespil View Post
Give the libby a power field generator and keep him by the troops. Any model in within 3" gets 4++.
That forces you the clump more, and I have the Aegis Defence Line to give me 4+ saves anyway. Sure, if I'm in combat then I don't get a 4+, but if I'm in combat with something I need the Invuln against I did something wrong and I've probably lost anyway.

Midnight

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-13, 09:09 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I haven't faced many large armies, but I have faced large IG armies with tons of tanks. As Spanner said, that will be a big thing to deal with. There's the potential for lots of AV13/14 and much range. They have one tank that has some ridiculous 3 blast template plasma weapon...I've lost a lot of marines to a pair of such tanks. Specially when the points are spent on plasma cannon sponsons as well. Like you said, it will probably be a game decided early on. Against my buddy's Guard army I'd never be able to get away with this list unless it was with lucky dice.

What you have here is something to aspire to for a DA player. Solid list, with a whole lot of shooting.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode