1850 ravenwing - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-13, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Megatron's Flag is: USA

Default 1850 ravenwing

this is my first attempt at a pure raven wing army list so please take into consideration that I am a novice. I decided to go with some nice 6 man attack squadrons, I am not fully taking advantage of the relentless special rule, because my attack squadrons are only equipped with melta weapons. I plan to use the scout special rule to take advantage of any weaknesses in the enemy line or flanks. My sergeant is equipped with a lightning claw and melta bombs. To add protection to my advancing bikes I have added 2 darkshrouds, upon doing my research people have suggested that the darkshroud loses value when taken in multiples. I find this is untrue, If I want to split my forces to take advantage of my opponents miscalculations, then the option is available for me to do so. Now the real controversial piece of my list is the addition of 2 landspeeder vengeance, this unit is the ultimate glass cannon, but with the strategy I will employ the speeders should make a mess of things. I plan to start my 2 landspeeder vengeance in reserves, followed by deepstriking them where they are most needed. Considering that mostly every unit on the board has a teleport homer my risk is minimal. This will keep them away from unnecessary shooting and ensure that my opponents transports will be opened allowing me to feast on his infantry. I have thrown in a 5 man command squad with a ravenwing banner and a apothecary to add more punch to my ground units, and to ensure my attack squadrons will pass their hit and run tests. Leading the for will be sammael of course.

Sammael on corvex:200
command squad w/apothecary/ravenwing banner/grenade launcher/:245
4x6 attack squadrons w/2 meltaguns/meltabombs/lightning claws/attack bike/multi melta/:916
2 Darkshrouds:160
2 Landspeeder vengeance w/assault cannon/:320

Another option available to me is to take out the landspeeder vengeance, and replace them with 2 venerable dreadnoughts in drop pod, either way I look forawrd to putting together this list and painting some models, please give me your feedback, and all help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-13, 09:45 PM

Even though ive never done pure ravenwing ive played with bikes enough to tell you:

1) Lightening claws really are playing a dangerous game to play since bikes are not great at CC. However if you want a cc theme atleast give the other bikers chainswords.

2) Melta bombs arnt worth it. Melta should be killing armour without the need so you can save some points.

Now a general point. I dont know your local game meta so this may not apply.

You have no anti air. I know the landspeeder vengeance could take down fliers but id suggest a nephilim fighter to take out flyers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-13, 01:22 AM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Um... Teleport Homers are for... teleporting. I'm not sure if they help you deep strike skimmers, honestly.

Either way, I'd probably go with Typhoons instead for the missile launchers. You could take 2 of those AND a Nephilim for the cost of your two Vengeance, which really are extremely fragile, and it would jsut cost you a few points, which Joe's meltabomb comments deal with.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Megatron's Flag is: USA

thats is very correct even though I personally do not like the dark angels flyers. I think they under perform, but I may throw in a aegis defense line with an icarus cannon.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 08:27 PM

davespil's Flag is: USA

Have you thought of a banner of devestation? I run a command squad with a BoD and have it hang out with three 6 man RAS with no special weapons. The banner makes the TL bolters Salvo 2/4 which results in 72 TL bolter shots with a 24" range, that's just from 3 six man bike squads. Also consider taking a librarian with a bike and a power field generator (gives everyone in 3" a 4++) in another RCS with an apothecary. Have them roll with azrael and you have a squad with 4++ and FnP. In addition to 5 plasma talons, T5 and Str 5.

Darkshrouds can be good if your opponent doesn't have any ignores cover guns. Otherwise it will die on the first turn. I'd drop the vengances to get more bikes. Also consider taking 1 or 2 RAS with 3 bikes (2 with meltagun) and an attack bike with MM. Outflank with them and go tank hunting.

Have guns, will travel...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-13, 04:34 AM

davespil's Flag is: USA

Here is what I usually run:

HQ
Sammael on Corvex - 200
Librarian w/ Bike, Power Field Generator, and Force Weapon - 150
Tech Marine w/ Servo Harness - 125

Ravenwing Command Squad - 230
5 Bikes w/ 1 Grenade Launcher and Apothecary

Ravenwing Command Squad - 295
5 Bikes w/ 1 Grenade Launcher, Standard of Devestation, and Apothecary

TROOPS
Ravenwing Attack Squadron (6 Bikes) - 161
Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3 Bikes w/ 2 Meltaguns & Attack Bike w/ Multi-melta) - 155
Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3 Bikes w/ 2 Meltaguns & Attack Bike w/ Multi-melta) - 155

FAST ATTACK
Ravenwing Black Knights (1 Grenade Launcher) - 210

I run Sammael, the RCS without the Standard, and the libby together. I keep the RCS with the standard and the 3 large RAS together. The Tech Marine runs in the front to give 4++ to the RAS. They run around popping off 72 TL 24" bolter shots. The two MM squads outflank and tank hunt.

This is how I run my Ravenwing. The DA flyers aren't worth their points. If the flyer is 10AV then you can shoot them down with the SoD squads. Or you can take your chances with the 3 squads with Plasma Talons.

Have guns, will travel...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-13, 11:32 PM

Viryn's Flag is: Sweden

Davespil... I like your list a lot but if you can find 10p I would suggest swapping one melta squad for two more Attackbikes with MM

We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way.'

-Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus, Tarsis Ultra

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode