Baby Blood Angels - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Default Baby Blood Angels

I'm looking at starting a new Blood Angels army. I have never played them and have only ever seen super cheesy BA armies. I would like to start at about 1500 points

I'm not sure on an HQ. I thought about basing it on a special character but do not know. I figure the following will work best:

Chap with JP and Plasma pistol

10 man assault squad - flamers, PF, MB, JP, and a priest

10 man assault squad - meltas, PF, MB, JP, and a priest

Fury Dread with talons and DP x2

Typhoon w/HB
Typhoon w/HB
Baal

I know it is very basic but I am just going through the codex and getting a feel for it. Any thoughts on what works well and the best plan to use them would be great.

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-13, 01:46 PM

Few thoughts:

- 2x Furious great in pod. prob play around with weapon options; should get third assault squad, but just have 5 in DP so 2 DP will drop 1st turn. 5 man assault squad is dirt cheap and is scoring so wins on both fronts
- I think you need at least one more unit of men (like the above or DC are pretty good without JP)
- 2 priest with JP may be too much points for just 2 squads (could work though)
- MB and PF are overkill (I would swap at least 1 PF and 1 MB for 2 PWs)
- I haven't used typhoons but look a little fragile (attack bikes are dirt cheap or another tank could be better i.e. multiple AV13)
- Chap is only Elite so has to be a Reclus; this with JP and PP is 160 which is to much in my mind (might as get the special one if spending that much about 190 I think)
- limited in options outside chucking something in a DP like death company or squad with Corbulo as priest are my favorites 2 options
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-13, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

I was looking at the following:

Tycho - normal

2 priests- one with JP and plasma pistol

Fury Dread - BT, HF, Grapple, DP

Assault squad (10) - 2 flamers, jp, pw, mb
Assault squad (8) - 2 flamers, pw, rhino

typhoon
typhoon

Baal pred

Deathcompany with extra points to bring it up to 1500

Thoughts and comments?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-13, 06:47 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I sometimes feel like a broken record as this is my advice to all who use Priests:

Equip them with power swords (or even better, lightning claws if you can) and capitalize on that WS5 over giving their accompanying sergeants power weapons. If you want the special guns in the squad (ie. your plasma pistol) give that to the sergeant instead. Heck, spend the points you would have on the sergeants power weapon on a second pistol. Never forget: gunslinger.

Aside from that I never run DC without a Chaplain or Reclusiarch and don't use Land Speeders due to a personal grudge against them.

You can't have two flamers in the 8 man assault squad; it's one special weapon for every 5 marines. I really like 2 flamers in squad and dual hand flamers on the sergeant. Burn. All. Things. Priest for CC beef with his sword.

Keeping on the assualt squads, you should gear one flamers and one meltas. You never know when those melta shots are going to matter VASTLY more than those flamers. Unless you specifically know your opponents lists/collection.

I would also ditch the Grapple on the Furioso. With talons, he shouldn't be shooting/charging vehicles. Keep blenderfists on infantry, if you want to make him beef for armour put blood fists on him.

What is the Baal's loadout? I suggest TLAC w/HB's, but outflanking three flame templates is fun. Much less versatile, but fun.

Hope this helps! I loves me Blood Angels.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-13, 11:56 AM

Tycho - normal

I'd swap to a Reclus for the DC, but Tycho solid but expensive

2 priests- one with JP and plasma pistol

K, but I though PP is hated by all. Give PW of some variaty to both and get rid of PP

Fury Dread - BT, HF, Grapple, DP

Cool; not sure about Grapple

Assault squad (10) - 2 flamers, jp, pw, mb

Cool

Assault squad (8) - 2 flamers, pw, rhino

I'd give them a drop pod and keep cheap (drop later after drop pod assault)

typhoon
typhoon

Sound good but I don't have any so I can't really comment

Baal pred

Run near where Dread will drop so at least they have too targets

Deathcompany with extra points to bring it up to 1500

DC are surprising cheap if you just add some like a PF and a PW and put in a DP

if you did have points left I take one more cheap Troops or a couple attack bikes (2 MM attack bikes are cool)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-13, 12:21 PM
So be it.

I actually like your first list better, because it's more focused. I would, with that list, drop a priest and the MB on the RAS, as well as one of the dreads. I would then get a MM bike squad and an aegis line or a raven. I woiuld also downgrade a PF in the flamer squad to a PS and try to give the priest a PW instead. Also, a Librarian would be a better choice here than the reclusiarch.

I would either have 2 jumper squads or 2-3 mech squads rather than a mix. It just generally works better. For list two though - how are the DC getting in? And what is your anti-air? An aegis might be worth the points rather than the DC, especially with those RAS in the rhino. Actually, these aren't bad but I would switch them to a Tac. squad - people underutilize these in BA lists, but they are still extremely effective.

GLHF, sorry I haven't been more helpful - i typed up a longer response but a friend of mine was being annoying and closed the tab.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-13, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

So I did a little rework on this.

Tycho
Priest with pw
8 RAS, flamer, pw, pp, mb (thought rhino, but now looking at raven or DP. thoughts?)

priest w/pw, jp
RAS, MG x2, pf, ss

Baal w/ side HBs

typhoon

typhoon

that leaves me about 211 points. I have the typhoons as fire support but might drop for a raven. just not sure at 1500 points which would work better.

I thought about DC and a DC dread but my fear is that the DC cannot score. Most of what I see are 5 man squads hiding in transports.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-13, 06:48 PM
So be it.

TBH I would just stick with good ol' fashioned jumpers for the RAS: the DP only allows you to have Tycho, and the Raven puts an awful lot of eggs in one basket. I think the best way to run that squad would be a libby and priest with a pack and then the RAS. With this layout you don't need a second priest, so you save points. If you insist on the vehicle, the pod would be your best choice. In this case I would advise corbulo, as he is a boss of a meat shield. Also, PP are (almost) never worth it, this is not an exception. Drop that (and arguably the MB as well). I would drop the SS on the RAS sergeant, it's not worth it TBH.

From here, if you took all my suggestions, you should have ~500 left. With this I would suggest some MM bikes and a raven, and maybe a Baal or smaller RAS. If you want you can also drop the typhoons for baals/preds, but it's not essential.

This would leave you at

Libby (JP)

Priest (JP, PA)

RAS (2x MG, PF)

RAS (2x Flmr. PS)

Baal (AC/HB)

Typhoons

2 ATB (MM)

Raven

You still have over 200 points left, with which I would add another RAS squad for more scoring.

Hope I've helped, GLHF

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok after some working and thinking about a list I came up with the following:

Libby- JP (should I upgrade to a lvl 2?) -125

Priests x 2 - pw, jp - 180

RAS(10) - Flamers x2, pw -215
RAS(10) - MG x2, pw - 225

Raven - 200
DC(7) - pw x2 - 170
DC Dread - HF, BT -135
Reclusiarc - mb - 135

If my fussy math is right that is about 1385. What should I do with the extra points? What should I change? Thank you for your help.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 05:18 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnsira View Post
Libby- JP (should I upgrade to a lvl 2?) -125
I wouldn't. Not at this points level anyway, and beware of his lack of invulnerable save. Remember your 2+ look out sir rolls.

Quote:
Priests x 2 - pw, jp - 180

RAS(10) - Flamers x2, pw -215
RAS(10) - MG x2, pw - 225
Since you have the power swords on the Priests I would totally ditch them on the assault squad. Spend those 30 points on Hurricane Bolters for the Raven and enjoy.

Quote:
Raven - 200
DC(7) - pw x2 - 170
DC Dread - HF, BT -135
Reclusiarc - mb - 135
Solid. Like I said above, HB's for the Raven...also, how what guns are you taking on this sucker? I much prefer a Furioso as blenderfists, AV13 is a serious problem for most units in CC. Also, since you're playing a Librarian for your HQ take the Reclusiarch as a Chaplain and save 30 points. Does he need one more wound in a unit of 7 DC?

As for the rest of your points, I would suggest adding one more DC model and putting them in a drop pod. Getting your bird shot down with that much in it is brutal, and the drop pod will ensure they're in the thick for turn 2.

Baal's are also great. I love mine.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode