1000pts Competitive BA for a Tournament. C&C needed! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Default 1000pts Competitive BA for a Tournament. C&C needed!

It's a good vs. evil tournament run at the local store. I'm gunna be up against Chaos Space Marines, Daemons, Dark Eldar, Orks, and Tyranids. I have experience against CSM, that's about it. This is what I'm thinking thus far:

Reclusiarch w/Melta Bombs - 135

Assault Squad - 10x marines w/2x Meltas, sergeant w/Power Axe and Melta Bombs
in a drop pod - 230

Death Company - 5x marines, 2x Power Swords. Bolt Pistols/CCW otherwise. - 130

Scouts - 5x w/Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks and a Missile Launcher - 100

2x Tactical Squads - Bolters, both in Razorbacks w/Heavy Bolters - 145 each

Baal Predator - Assault Cannon, no sponsons - 115

The idea is to drop in the pod next to the worst piece of armour and deal with it first turn. Sometimes it doesn't work out, most of the time it does. The two Razorbacks flank the Baal to protect its side armour as they speed across the board to reinforce the Assault squad. Guns blazing with that 12" fast movement. Death Company foot slogs out of sight behind the tanks, hopefully I don't constantly get 1's with my run rolls. Scouts are likely on my other flank holding an objective/being that jerk squad that's hard to kill in cover. Potentially, if the opponent doesn't field armour I will be deploying the drop pod empty to mess with LOS. In that case the assault squad will be less mobile and the Meltas will be a waste, but likely used supporting the scouts as a counter assault unit. There really isn't any anti-air, but I'm hoping that I'm in fast enough that any fliers coming in will have to go over and past me or deploy in hover mode. Vector Strikes are a bitch, but what can I really do to avoid them aside from mount my squads in tanks to try and minimize initial casualties?

Thanks in advance for any help! This will be my first tournament, and I'm in a craze to get the last little bit of this painted in the next two weeks. I have a ton of stuff that I can swap in/out, but no jump pack models will be used as I don't have them done in any way really. Time constraints and all.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 08:03 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
It's a good vs. evil tournament run at the local store. I'm gunna be up against Chaos Space Marines, Daemons, Dark Eldar, Orks, and Tyranids. I have experience against CSM, that's about it. This is what I'm thinking thus far:
that's an interesting idea... i think what you'll be facing the most will probably be horde armies, other than CSM. Or at the very least lots of models... Daemons have become much more "hordy" with the decrease in points on all their troops, Dark Eldar will have lots of models and you will need some good shooting to take down those abhorredly annoying fast skimmers and then orks and nids are straight up hordes/swarms (though watch for nidzilla). So basically you need the weight of fire to deal with hordes big things and fast things. And also mech. Oh joy...

Quote:
Reclusiarch w/Melta Bombs - 135
you don't really need melta bombs with what you'll be facing - you could keep it if you want but I would drop it.

Quote:
Assault Squad - 10x marines w/2x Meltas, sergeant w/Power Axe and Melta Bombs
in a drop pod - 230
once again you don't need melta bombs here, especially with 2 metlas already in the squad. The only time I could see it being useful is against MCs, but if you drop both melta bombs you could instead have a power-fist that could do the job just as well.

Quote:
Death Company - 5x marines, 2x Power Swords. Bolt Pistols/CCW otherwise. - 130
for one, if you are footslogging them I would give them bolters - only CC weapons if you put them in an assault vehicle (PWs aside, these should of course have BPs). Also, the rest of your army is fast/can get there quickly, with these guys falling behind they will be very vulnerable. And I assume your reclusiarch will be with them as well? Against Dark Eldar especially their fast vehicles will be able to swoop around and massacre them (with your warlord...). I'm not sure how you could fit it in, but I would definitely try to mobilize them. Or drop them. With these 230 point you could do a lot of damage... Maybe another Tactical squad or a Baal and some landspeeders or something.

Quote:
I always like this squad layout and it's great to have a backward objective holder like this.

Quote:
2x Tactical Squads - Bolters, both in Razorbacks w/Heavy Bolters - 145 each
I'm assuming these are 5 man squads? Based on points anyway... I have little-no experience with this kind of unit, I normally have 10-man squads in or not in rhino's, so im not sure how to advise you with them - but if you think they work you may as well go for it.

Quote:
If you can find the points (maybe from the DC) I would take sponsons, just so that in the event of a weapons-destroyed thing it is still useful. And it shells out much more fire...

Quote:
The idea is to drop in the pod next to the worst piece of armour and deal with it first turn. Sometimes it doesn't work out, most of the time it does. The two Razorbacks flank the Baal to protect its side armour as they speed across the board to reinforce the Assault squad. Guns blazing with that 12" fast movement. Death Company foot slogs out of sight behind the tanks, hopefully I don't constantly get 1's with my run rolls. Scouts are likely on my other flank holding an objective/being that jerk squad that's hard to kill in cover. Potentially, if the opponent doesn't field armour I will be deploying the drop pod empty to mess with LOS. In that case the assault squad will be less mobile and the Meltas will be a waste, but likely used supporting the scouts as a counter assault unit. There really isn't any anti-air, but I'm hoping that I'm in fast enough that any fliers coming in will have to go over and past me or deploy in hover mode. Vector Strikes are a bitch, but what can I really do to avoid them aside from mount my squads in tanks to try and minimize initial casualties?
Pod strategy I like, same with Baals (though sponsons are always useful anyway) but the DC footslogging I find problematic. Against mobile lists they'll never see combat, and against other lists it may be too late. As for fliers, you probably won't see that many, but even so that's quite a problem, having no defense... I honestly forgot about that. I would take some points from the DC and get a quad-cannon with an aegis... Maybe put the scouts there for a nice automatic 2+ cover save.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for any help! This will be my first tournament, and I'm in a craze to get the last little bit of this painted in the next two weeks. I have a ton of stuff that I can swap in/out, but no jump pack models will be used as I don't have them done in any way really. Time constraints and all.
I'm sorry if I wasn't more helpful. I really think that dropping the DC is the right choice, just because they are so immobile. If you really don't want to that's fine, but it kinda negates all my other suggestions. If you do keep them, I would switch most to bolters as they are much more effective (disregarding assault vehicles).

GLHF in your tournament, I hope you do well.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 08:37 PM
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom

Little bit different to what i use when i run ba but i imagine the list will work reasonably well. Consider swaping the drop pod over to the death company, assault squad will be able to run up behind your armoured deathstar where the death company will not.

I agree with jamob about the melta bombs, if your carrying melta guns they are unnecessary.

Try find 50 points somewhere for a sanguinery priest to go in with one of the tactical. All of a sudden that 6 man squad is something the your opponent will fire at.

current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
once again you don't need melta bombs here, especially with 2 metlas already in the squad. The only time I could see it being useful is against MCs, but if you drop both melta bombs you could instead have a power-fist that could do the job just as well.
Against MC's I'm fucked either way with I1 attacks, whether it be a power fist or Melta bombs. Generally speaking, they wade through me...but that's just what I have faced thus far.

Quote:
That choice literally came down to how much damage my dude with an axe has done over the dude with a power fist. He's like my Chuck Norris, 'cuz his squad is usually dead by turn 3 and he's lone wolfing like a madman. I may just switch that up.

Quote:
for one, if you are footslogging them I would give them bolters - only CC weapons if you put them in an assault vehicle (PWs aside, these should of course have BPs). Also, the rest of your army is fast/can get there quickly, with these guys falling behind they will be very vulnerable. And I assume your reclusiarch will be with them as well? Against Dark Eldar especially their fast vehicles will be able to swoop around and massacre them (with your warlord...). I'm not sure how you could fit it in, but I would definitely try to mobilize them. Or drop them. With these 230 point you could do a lot of damage... Maybe another Tactical squad or a Baal and some landspeeders or something.
I've used this tactic with Hammernators and it's worked brilliantly, but that is usually helped by their 3++. I could drop the Baal and put them in a Razorback, but that cuts the Baal and doesn't help them get into CC really. They can't have bolters due to modelling. Even if I roll a 1 for them running, they will be 5" behind the razorbacks. If something is going to flank me turn 2 they'd almost have to themselves be going flat out as well. I agree they are the weakest part of this list, but a Reclusiarch has to be my HQ as I don't have the time to make a Libby before this starts. As it is I have to paint a Rhino chassis, 3 bolter marines and the Drop Pod around three jobs and a gig in the next 14ish days.

My ADL is being painted in the same colour scheme as the table I'm having made for me, and I seriously doubt I would get it back in time to use. Otherwise this list would be very different.

If I drop the MB's and the DC I'm up 140 points to spend. If I bust my ass on the other guys I might be able to finish a 5 man assault squad, with a power sword. I want him to have a lightning claw, but modelling woes. Dropping a jump pack on the Reclusiarch and adding in that 5 man squad is 140 points. How do you feel about that adjustment? Just to clarify it:

Quote:
Reclusiarch w/Jump Pack - 155

Assault Squad - 5x marines, sergeant w/power sword - 115

Assault Squad - 10x marines w/2x Meltas, sergeant w/Power Axe
in a drop pod - 225

2x Tactical Squads - 4x Bolter Marines + Bolter sergeant each, both in Razorbacks w/Heavy Bolters - 145 each

Keeps the mobility of the squad. Means more painting, but I think (/hope) that I have actually already done at least the reds on that 5 man assault squad. It's a lot of painting to get done, but it would be worth it to not get ran in my first games out.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, Warsmith. You ninja'd me!

The assault squad doesn't have jump packs and therefore is a total waste of points without a vehicle. They also can't move any faster than the DC on foot and don't have FnP.

I like Priests, but have no idea where to wring the points.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-13, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

I played the above list against a CSM army pre-tournament and got absolutely ran by his two Heldrakes. They just flew around messing my face up. I'm going to have to start later in the in-store gaming to accommodate the time it will take for my ADL to return to me. With that addition, some things needed to change in the list. A very different and hopefully more effective list.

Reclusiarch - 130

Sanguinary Priest - Power Sword - 65

2x 5 man Assault Squads - Flamer, Sergeant w/Hand Flamer and Power Axe, each mounted in a Razorback w/TLHB - 150 (300)

10 man Tactical Squad - Lascannon, Plasma Gun - 190

5 man Assault Squad - Sergeant w/Power Sword - 115

Predator - Autocannon, Heavy Bolters - 100

Aegis Defense Line - Quad Gun - 100

Priest in one RB Assault squad, Reclusiarch in the other. The jump troops either ghost the razorbacks as a counter assault unit or kick it next to the Tactical squad manning the ADL. The predator kicks it back with the ADL/Tac squad combo. Got my rushing flame templates supported by FnP and Razorbacks with a solid back line of guns.

Thoughts?

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 04-01-13 at 02:25 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-13, 04:41 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

My main problem with this list is lack of melta. You have 1 lascannon (S9) and a couple s7 weapons (plasma, quad) but in general you don't have a solid counter to heavy mech. What I would suggest would be to drop one hand flamer (which are only moderately good anyway) to get yourself a meltagun in the jump squad. Then with the extra 5 points you could add melta bombs or searchlights or whatever else you want. It is definitely an improvement though.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-13, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

What do you think about swapping the Lascannon out, adding a Melta to the jump squad and giving that sergeant melta bombs? This will mean they are definitely ghosting the Razorbacks on their approach, but changes their role to accommodate a bit of armour punch. Figure if I'm close enough to hit it with a MG I'm close enough to charge as a backup if I miss shooting. I know I lose the one S9 shot, but I gain Melta and maintain a S8 shot from the same model.

The hand flamers are a crucial aspect of defence against charging, plus those squads working in conjunction dropping 4 templates on an objective should be enough to get the dice rolling and hopefully in my favour. This is the tactic based around that thought.

Coincidentally, this list requires much less painting and not having to do constant special weapons will speed the process. I've already got a missile launcher dude painted, but no lascannon guy.

As a side note, when firing an emplaced weapon does the rest of the squad have to shoot at the same target?

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-13, 11:36 PM

BloodKnight11's Flag is: USA

Second list + melta is a great improvement to the first.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Reclusiarch - 130

Sanguinary Priest - Power Sword - 65

2x 5 man Assault Squads - Flamer, Sergeant w/Hand Flamer and Power Axe, each mounted in a Razorback w/TLHB - 150 (300)

10 man Tactical Squad - Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun - 180

5 man Assault Squad - Sergeant w/Power Sword, Melta Gun - 125

Predator - Autocannon, Heavy Bolters - 100

Aegis Defense Line - Quad Gun - 100
I'm currently painting 9 marines and the autocannon turret. I can only hope that the return of my ADL isn't too far into this thing...it would suck to have a solid list but not be able to return from a points deficit.

Thanks for the words of advice, friends.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode