2000pt Codex SM army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-13, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Tanrel's Flag is: USA

Default 2000pt Codex SM army

Not necessarily going for a competitive army, but I want the list to be a tough fight and fun to play.

HQ
Librarian - Termie w/ Storm Shield - 140

Chaplain - Termie w/ Storm Bolter - 130

ELITES
Terminator Assault squad x6 - Thunderhammer w/ Storm Shield - 240

Land Raider Crusader - Multi-melta - 260

TROOPS
Tactical Squad x10 - Rocket Launcher - 170

Scouts x5 - Snipers - 75

FAST ATTACK
Assault Squad x10 - Thunderhammer, Remove jump packs, Rhino - 220

Assault Squad x10 - Power Fist, Remove jump packs, Rhino - 215

Land Speeder Squadron x3 - Multi-melta x3 - 180

HEAVY SUPPORT
Thunderfire Cannon - 100

Thunderfire Cannon - 100

Total: 2000

Librarian takes Null Zone and joins the chaplain in the assault termie squad, which will all pile into the Land Raider. The entire squad is pretty much a multi tool and can take on just about anything, but their main focus is taking on other assault termie squads. Null Zone will really cripple enemy terminator squads and re-rolling CC attacks on the charge will give me an edge over any other termie squads.

Tactical squads are there for holding down objectives in or near my zone and also provide support to my thunderfire cannons who will just be shooting away down field. Rockets are good as both anti-infantry and anti-light to medium armor. Scouts will be there to hold midfield objectives and provide a little firing support against Monsterous Creatures, small units, or units with low Ld.

Assault squads are the support of the Termie squad, they get to charge any of the less elite units and vehicles. They'll be blockers for any units I don't want to bog down the termies and with their rhino's I'll be forcing them down the throats of my enemy by turn 2 or 3. Full move forward, pop smoke, full move forward again. Hopefully my enemies can wreck the rhino they're in and they can get their charge the next turn. The Rhino's will flank the Land Raider as best they can.

Finally, the Land Speeder's only purpose is for killing vehicles and high toughness monsters. Just zooming around in the backfield going for rear armor's and largely trying to stay out of CC or firing arcs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

USMC, Oorah!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-13, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanrel View Post
Not necessarily going for a competitive army, but I want the list to be a tough fight and fun to play.
Well, lets take a look.

HQ
Sweet
Chaplain - Termie w/ Storm Bolter - 130
Good
ELITES
Maxing for the Landraider is a plus, makes it a much nicer threat, watch out for glancing.

TROOPS

Just the rockets, no free Flamer?
Scouts x5 - Snipers - 75
Camo Cloaks and a Missile Launcher here would work nicely.

Consider Rhinos and a fourth troops unit if playing for objectives.

FAST ATTACK
Great.
Assault Squad x10 - Power Fist, Remove jump packs, Rhino - 215
Ok, consider a Power Weapon.
Land Speeder Squadron x3 - Multi-melta x3 - 180
Squadrons suffer from a problem of being unable to move or do much when one is hindered. Its a good idea on paper, but, not on the table. Usually, speeders are best run separately.
HEAVY SUPPORT
Thunderfire Cannon - 100

Thunderfire Cannon - 100
Both of these need a Drop Pod to set them up for the game. Honestly, I'd ditch them for two Autocannon Predators with Heavy Bolters.

Librarian takes Null Zone and joins the chaplain in the assault termie squad, which will all pile into the Land Raider. The entire squad is pretty much a multi tool and can take on just about anything, but their main focus is taking on other assault termie squads. Null Zone will really cripple enemy terminator squads and re-rolling CC attacks on the charge will give me an edge over any other termie squads.

Tactical squads are there for holding down objectives in or near my zone and also provide support to my thunderfire cannons who will just be shooting away down field. Rockets are good as both anti-infantry and anti-light to medium armor. Scouts will be there to hold midfield objectives and provide a little firing support against Monsterous Creatures, small units, or units with low Ld.

Assault squads are the support of the Termie squad, they get to charge any of the less elite units and vehicles. They'll be blockers for any units I don't want to bog down the termies and with their rhino's I'll be forcing them down the throats of my enemy by turn 2 or 3. Full move forward, pop smoke, full move forward again. Hopefully my enemies can wreck the rhino they're in and they can get their charge the next turn. The Rhino's will flank the Land Raider as best they can.

Finally, the Land Speeder's only purpose is for killing vehicles and high toughness monsters. Just zooming around in the backfield going for rear armor's and largely trying to stay out of CC or firing arcs.

Last edited by Jace of Ultramar; 03-19-13 at 12:59 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-13, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can't move some points around.

USMC, Oorah!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-13, 04:36 AM

Don't forget one important thing, you're playing a 2K list which means you can have dual FOC.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-13, 06:20 PM
Pendragon38's Flag is: USA

I like your list a lot and don't drop the thunder fire cannons there more helpfull than most people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanrel View Post

HQ

Chaplain - Termie w/ Storm Bolter - 130( drop him for a MotF with a conversion beamer for 120)

ELITES

TROOPS

Scouts x5 - Snipers - 75

FAST ATTACK

Assault Squad x10 - Power Fist, Remove jump packs, Rhino - 215( I would also drop this for a storm talon with las cannons)

Land Speeder Squadron x3 - Multi-melta x3 - 180( I would drop this for a storm talon with lascannons if you have the models)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Thunderfire Cannon - 100

Thunderfire Cannon - 100

And you can add a defense line with a quad gun for 100pts
It's my opinion, but it's your list and its all up to you in the end.

Hope this helps you.

Perry
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-13, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I'll be trying a lot of these ideas out.

USMC, Oorah!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode