1500 nilla Marines List 2, What do you think? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-12, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

fett14622's Flag is: USA

Default 1500 nilla Marines List 2, What do you think?

HQ:

Captain: 145 pts
Melta Bombs; Combi-Flamer; Relic Blade

Command Squad: 220 pts
Apothecary
3X Veteran; Storm Shield; Boltgun
Veteran; Storm Shield; Meltagun
*Drop Pod

Elite:

Venerable Dreadnought: 175 pts
Plasma Cannon

Troops:

Tactical Squad: 245 pts
Meltagun; Missile Launcher
Sergeant; Combi-Flamer; Power Fist
*Rhino

Tactical Squad: 245 pts.
*Rhino

Tactical Squad: 250 pts.
Meltagun; Plasma Cannon
*Rhino

Heavy Support: 220 pts. total

Vindicator

Predator:
Twin-Linked Lascannon

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-12, 11:03 AM

Same setup as the first list... almost. I think your first list is better but I like the HQ alot in this one. I'm not knocking Kantor, he's great at what he does, but this Captain is nice. Not sure about the Command Squad though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-12, 02:51 PM

Tyreal Ardeus's Flag is: USA

Wait. Didn't I... Wasn't he?... ... Nevermind.

Whelp I have to say that I just don't like venerable dreads anymore. Normally I just give advice, but here I would strongly recommend you take out the venerable. For their points cost they're O.K. in 6th, but most weapons that will penetrate you (such as meltaguns), so that you can use the venerable rule, are AP1 or 2, meaning that they're already going to make your vehicle explode half the time anyways; and if they don't then you're still going to be immobilized or have a weapon gone. The extra BS is okay, but with a plasma cannon the extra inch just isn't cutting it for that huge of a points sink. A regular dread will do just fine. Frees up a bunch of points for other stuff.

As for the command squad. Weh. In a 1500 points match, that command squad will be smashed aside like the fist of an angry god, especially after it drops from its pod. I have one with my captain in my 1k points list where, with his thunder hammer, he's great at challenging and such, but at 1.5k he and his squad will die quickly. Space Marines unfortunately are just terrible at close combat unless you're Blood Angels, Black Templar (arguably), or Terminators. Even then they're iffy. For that 220 points you can get Assault Terminators, as cliche and overused in lists as they are, and have points left over.

Other than that the list looks pretty good like the last one. Hope this helped.

“This is our next objective, our next battle, our next war, brothers. It is there that we shall teach the enemy the wrath of mankind, the wrath of our beloved emperor. With boltgun and chainsword shall we strike the enemy down in righteous vengeance. Our foes will know fear and death, for we are the emperor’s fury! None shall stay our wrath!”

- Chapter Master Tyreal Ardeus of the Crimson Gallants

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-12, 10:12 AM

That command seems expensive and largely useless. It hurts my eyes

My list have some weird set ups but if you want storm shields then either get assault terminators or get allies and take an inqusitions retinue (think they have 15pts for both power weapon, storm shield and model together)

Otherwise make them killy with power weapon or shooty with 3 to 4 plasmas or meltas

I also don't think BS5 is best used on a plasma cannon. I still like the furious dread in the BA book but you would probablt be better of with 2 normal dreads or preds rather then the ven dread.

Pred anniliator is pretty costly, but is reasonably good (like Baal good but not that cost effective)

Other then that it seems to be mid to long range fire power army. I'd consider using your HQ command as a counter assault squad as they will probably go splat up by themself otherwise and that will just leave the tacts pissing in their pants all alone.

I do like that it isn't a generic list, but in saying that saving some points on ven and pred could give you another vehicle or devi's pretty easily or some shooty terms
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-12, 03:57 PM

Antonius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Maybe switch the command squad for a sternguard squad (also in a pod, with combi-weps). Might still be vulnerable, but at least when it drops it has some kickass potential (although i would not bother putting my HQ in this unit - its kinda suicidal). Only issue is that rhinos only have 10 model capacity ( i laugh at how 6 GK Paladins can "somehow" fit into chimeras and chimeras can have more smurfs in them than rhinos, despite being a transport for puny humies) - so about the best thing i would encourage is that the captain joins a squad of 5 sternguard in a razorback (any variant to taste).

General Antonius, Task force Iron Storm cmdr, Cadian 9th Mechanised Infantry Rgt.

WHAT, I CAN'T HAVE MORE THAN SIX MANTICORES!

I'm facing NECRONS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-12, 04:40 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fett14622 View Post
HQ:

Captain: 145 pts
Melta Bombs; Combi-Flamer; Relic Blade
Nice. If you need, maybe Artificer armour and/or a storm shield to make him more durable.

Command Squad: 220 pts
Apothecary
3X Veteran; Storm Shield; Boltgun
Veteran; Storm Shield; Meltagun
*Drop Pod
Ack, no! Sorry, Command Squads are as a rule, not worth their points unless you're running a plasmabike squad.

Elite:

Venerable Dreadnought: 175 pts
Plasma Cannon
Why Ven? He doesn't even benefit from BS5 with a plasma cannon - stick to a normal one if you want to use a dread.

Troops:

Tactical Squad: 245 pts
*Rhino
Drop the Fist - you don't need it and it's a massive points sink.

Tactical Squad: 245 pts.
*Rhino
Same here.

Tactical Squad: 250 pts.
Meltagun; Plasma Cannon
*Rhino
And here.

Heavy Support: 220 pts. total

Vindicator
Nice.

Predator:
Twin-Linked Lascannon
TL lascannon is a poor choice. Go for heavy bolter sponsons and make this guy an infantry killer, or las sponsons for a transport killer.

What do you think?
With the points saved from dropping the command squad and the dread, plus the other edits, you can grab a 7 man Sternguard squad with 6 combis and a Rhino, and then a pair of Typhoon speeders with Multimeltas.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode