2,000 Space Wolves - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Default 2,000 Space Wolves

My first Space Wolves list, I was thinking about going with Daemons but I think I like this list better.

HQ
Wolf Lord- 220
-Frost Ax
-Storm Shield
-Runic Armor
-Thunderwolf Mount

Wolf Guard Battle Brother- 100
-Jump Pack
-Wolf Claw

ELITE
Dreadnought- 145
-Twin-Linked Auto Cannon
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

Dreadnought- 145
-Twin-Linked Auto Cannon
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

Venerable Dreadnought- 205
-Twin-Linked Auto Cannon
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

TROOPS
6 Grey Hunters- 90
-Flamer
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

6 Grey Hunters- 90
-Flamer
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

6 Grey Hunters- 95
-Meltagun
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

6 Grey Hunters- 95
-Meltagun
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

FAST
4 Thunderwolf Calvary- 275
-Three with Plasma Pistols
-Thunder Hammer

10 Skyclaws- 195
-Power Weapon

10 Skyclaws- 195
-Power Weapon

So the Wolf Lord will run with the Thunderwolf Calvary, and the Wolf Guard Battle Brother will run with one of the Skyclaw squads.

Dreads will be my main tank hunters, while my Razorbacks will put priority on objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Any criticism at all?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 07:32 AM

My only comments would be :

Combat squads do not work. You have 6 in a squad, these cant actually fit in a razorback - 5 troops max. Combat squads are also very easy to beat up.

I can see your plan - send the claws in led by wolf guard and mess some stuff up and keep the razorbacks hidden out of the way until last few turns.

However in practice this tends to hurt! - they normally just get beaten up .

Also your heavy support is all dreadnoughts - just tp be aware that again thse could be popped in one turn potentially.

For the cost of them, i personally dont thyink you can go wrog with long fangs for heavy support - they are cheaper than devastator squads for vanillia marines, and you can split your fire..............................why wouldnt you lo!!

So personally if it was me

Id swap 2 of the dreds our for long fangs.
Make combat sqauds full squads and put them in rhinos.

Although it does look a tasty army, just a bit worried that one turn of good dice rolls, would leave you without heavy support .

Hope this helps

Thanks

Mike

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 10:22 AM

Blood_Knight's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyuk1980 View Post
My only comments would be :

Combat squads do not work. You have 6 in a squad, these cant actually fit in a razorback - 5 troops max. Combat squads are also very easy to beat up.
6 marines can fit in a razorback.

But i will agree with the Long Fangs. They are the best bang for the buck. They can turn the tide of a battle and wont get glanced to death. I'm not saying they are absolutely mandatory for every SW list, but you will find they are a staple in most and for good reason.

-cheap
-split fire power
-not armour
-and cheap

And if you really want to, you could have Logan run with a squad of them, which will make them mobile. Its not really competitive and a waste of a very expensive model, but for a fun list, thats just something for you to go "haha, my heavies can move" kind of thing

People take time to comment. So reply in kind

My Khorne/Nurgle army project log

Last edited by Blood_Knight; 08-13-12 at 10:34 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 01:40 PM

christopher.dean's Flag is: USA

I'd definately swap out the Dreads for LFs. Thats 5 shots for 140pts as opposed to 3 shots for 145. Although those dread shots are twin-linked, they all go to a single target and only live as long as 3 hull-points will last. And the ven dread perplexes me. Why? Your shots are twin-linked so you aren't even using his superior BS. He still only has limited hull points so that "Venerable" isn't really worth the extra points anymore.

Not really sure what people are saying about combat squads since SWs can't combat squad. I run a sort of similar list with 5 GHs (melta) and a Wolf Guard to bump my leadership up and help get off Counter-Attack if I need to. Plus Wolf Guard has some nifty cheap weapon upgrades.

Now in 6th with hull points I've stopped using transports to transport. I use them to block LOS and offer cover saves. Especially Rhinos since they don't normally get shot at. Razorbacks are a bit more of a target since those Lascannons bring the hurt, but I'd still rather my opponent have to choose between stopping the cannon or shooting at my scoring unit. At least after turn one if you plan to haul ass and pop smoke, then disembark turn two.

I hate Skyclaws. Just a personal thing. They don't even make a good meat shield for my TWC.

It's really hard to hide TWC. They get shot a lot. I take fairly large numbers and storm shields on mine since they tend to draw every ounce of anti-tank my opponent has and their too big to block LOS with tanks. Cover saves suck now.

I suppose, all-in-all, I'd recommend ditching the dreads for long fangs and maybe taking more troops in place of those Skyclaws. Which would also give you more TLLC shots anyway. That would free up 125 pts.

I'd get Saga of the Bear so your Wolf Lord doesn't get insta-killed by a force weapon, and 3 more storm shields on the TWC. Two of the plasmas could go for the last shield since TWC aren't really made for shooting anyway. If you want plasma go for Las/Plas on the Razorbacks. I know there's a chance it could glance itself now, but it's very rare due to being twin-linked.

Build a man a fire, he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he will be warm the rest of his life.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

HQ
Wolf Lord- 220
-Frost Ax
-Storm Shield
-Runic Armor
-Thunderwolf Mount

ELITE
Dreadnought- 125
-Twin-Linked Autocannon
-Twin-Linked Autocannon

TROOPS
6 Grey Hunters- 90
-Flamer
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

6 Grey Hunters- 90
-Flamer
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

6 Grey Hunters- 95
-Meltagun
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

6 Grey Hunters- 95
-Meltagun
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

FAST
5 Thunderwolf Calvary- 460
-Four with Plasma Pistols
-Thunder Hammer
-4 Storm Shields

HEAVY
5 Longfangs- 115
-Squad Leader
-5 Heavy Bolters

5 Longfange- 205
-Squad Leader
-2 plasma Cannons
-3 Lascannons

5 Longfangs- 205
-Squad Leader
-2 Plasma Cannons
-3 Lascannons

Okay, so the squad with 5 Heavy Bolters will simply shred troops or be used to take down AV10/11 vehicles. They can handle the weaker stuff while the other squads can use their shots more wisely on heavier vehicles.

I took out the Skyclaws to make room for the Longfangs and Thunderwolf upgrades. But another reason I took them out was because in my Tyranid list I use gargoyles, and they get shot a lot. I can only emagine how much more those will get shot at, and without something better than a 3+ they will go down.

I kept one Dreadnought because I had the points after I took out the Wolf Guard Battle Brother.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 09:24 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Your TWC can't have both plasma pistols and SS, they give up their pistols for SS. I personally would dump all the RB favor of GH. Rhino based transports die when a butterfly sneezes in China now.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-12, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

I want the Razorbacks because they will get a squad of 6 to an objective 18" away not only faster, but also safer than a squad of 10 hoofing it. And if the Razorback makes it to the objective, then they will be handy with the TL Lascannon. Unlike a Rhino and it's storm bolter....

And yeah, thanks for pointing that out about the SS.

HQ
Wolf Lord- 220
-Frost Ax
-Storm Shield
-Runic Armor
-Thunderwolf Mount

ELITE
Dreadnought- 125
-Twin-Linked Autocannon
-Twin-Linked Autocannon

TROOPS
6 Grey Hunters- 90
-Flamer
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

6 Grey Hunters- 90
-Flamer
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

6 Grey Hunters- 95
-Meltagun
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

6 Grey Hunters- 95
-Meltagun
Razorback- 75
-Twin-Linked Lascannon

FAST
5 Thunderwolf Calvary- 400
-Thunder Hammer
-4 Storm Shields

HEAVY
5 Longfangs- 115
-Squad Leader
-5 Heavy Bolters

5 Longfange- 205
-Squad Leader
-2 plasma Cannons
-3 Lascannons

5 Longfangs- 205
-Squad Leader
-2 Plasma Cannons
-3 Lascannons

Any recommendations for the 60 points I gained?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-12, 01:21 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Saga of the Bear and either a power fist or a thunderhammer on your wolf lord. The axe isn't worth the cost.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-12, 02:09 AM

christopher.dean's Flag is: USA

The standard 140 pt 5 ML Long Fang pack is still the most versatile for the points. It handles MEQs and Light Tanks with Krak and Hordes with Frag. There's another 105 pts.

That already 15 MLs, you could drop the Dread and go with 3 Las/Plas Razors for them. I say las/plas over the TLLC because the las already hits 2/3rds of the time. Why not have some AP2 plasma to toss around too? That would leave you with 5 pts. The same on the GH squads is no cost difference.

Then there's the 60 pts you asked about earlier so a total of 65. You could get 5 more by trading the Wolf Lord's Frost Axe for a Wolf Claw. Unwieldy sucks when you get challenged. And the re-rolls come in handy. Now 70 pts.

Now you've got enough points for Saga of the Bear on the Lord and that last Storm Shield. With the last 5 points the Lord could use a Wolf Tail Talisman so he can use a 5+ AND Deny the Witch against those Psykers.

It would look like:
HQ
Wolf Lord- 255
-Wolf Claw
-Storm Shield
-Runic Armor
-Thunderwolf Mount
-Saga of the Bear
-Wolf Tail Talisman

TROOPS
6 Grey Hunters- 90
-Flamer
Razorback- 75
-Las/Plas

6 Grey Hunters- 90
-Flamer
Razorback- 75
-Las/Plas

6 Grey Hunters- 95
-Meltagun
Razorback- 75
-Las/Plas

6 Grey Hunters- 95
-Meltagun
Razorback- 75
-Las/Plas

FAST
5 Thunderwolf Calvary- 430
-Thunder Hammer
-5 Storm Shields

HEAVY
6 Longfangs- 140
-Squad Leader
-5 ML
Razorback
-Las/Plas

6 Longfangs- 140
-Squad Leader
-5 ML
Razorback
-Las/Plas

6 Longfangs- 140
-Squad Leader
-5 ML
Razorback
-Las/Plas

That gives you 15 Missiles, 7 Lascannons, 7 Twin-Linked Plasmas, 2 meltas, 2 flamers, and a 6 man Cav all with 3+/3++ or better, a thunderhamer, and a wolf claw charging 12" across the board through terrain to hammer/claw/rend anything that moves without abusing the 2nd Force Organization Chart at 2000 points.

All that being said, it's your army man. Do what feels right for you and have fun with it!

Build a man a fire, he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he will be warm the rest of his life.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode