2000pt Tourny Ultramarines - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 02:44 AM

Pray he gets bad rolls and try to eliminate whole squads rather than firing at different items. They are the one army that gets the las cannon/missile launcher shot at infantry if you've whittled it down to one guy left ;)

I think a thunderfire cannon and bastion fares well. The structures have no hull points so gauss doesn't really do much and they aren't very assault oriented. Aside from bulky rules I don't know of anything preventing you from stacking that (or your plasma devs) inside the building to protect you.

Last edited by Emperors Knights; 08-13-12 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 02:32 PM

christopher.dean's Flag is: USA

Those plasma cannons are going to kill themselves.

jk.

Build a man a fire, he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he will be warm the rest of his life.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Blood_Knight's Flag is: USA

I know your kidding, but to be perfectly honest, they pulled me out of the grinder more then once that tourny and was the only thing really doing anything to the necron player, and out of 4 games i only had one model die to gets hot! the PCs are here to stay.

People take time to comment. So reply in kind

My Khorne/Nurgle army project log

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 03:28 PM

christopher.dean's Flag is: USA

I'm going to have to give them a try. I've got tons of them sitting on my shelf that I've collected from buying ebay lots over the past few months and I've never taken them for a test drive. Esp with all the 2+ running around and my power weapons getting nerfed a bit.

Build a man a fire, he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he will be warm the rest of his life.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 04:19 PM

I haven't played SM yet in 6th ed, as to date I've focused on eldar, but I have known a necron army to eviscerate all comers in a recent tournament where their flyers had the run of the table. Did you face a necron air force? My impression so far is that air power is often dominant under the 6th ed rules. He who controls the skies tends to prevail now..... so storm talons and/or flakk missiles (if you and your gaming community have come to conclude they are allowed for missile launchers) would be useful.

Generally, against necrons you want to take away their speed units as fast as possible, from as great a range as possible, and if you still feel the desire to assault them, then assault SMs would be best, if only to get to grips faster.

See if you can get one of your gaming buddies to use their necron army in a one-off game against you. Lessons learned that way often go a long way. If you have a speed and long-range firepower advantage over necrons, then exploit that mercilessly! Also, be prepared to use something like cannon fodder or sacrificial, relatively cheap units to draw necron attention while you press home elsewhere whatever advantage you have. Tanks are too easily destroyed by necron armies, but fast units with long-range firepower like storm talons and typhoons seem so far to fair better and are more useful and threatening.

Last edited by big rob; 08-13-12 at 04:21 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Blood_Knight's Flag is: USA

yeah, he used a lot of fliers, which is what i know really hurt me. i hadnt faced them yet and didnt really know what to do against them, but trust me, i took away a lot of lessons learned from that game. And your right, who rules the skys can run the game with decent dice rolls. noted...

People take time to comment. So reply in kind

My Khorne/Nurgle army project log
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-12, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Knight View Post
yeah, he used a lot of fliers, which is what i know really hurt me. i hadnt faced them yet and didnt really know what to do against them, but trust me, i took away a lot of lessons learned from that game. And your right, who rules the skys can run the game with decent dice rolls. noted...
Yeah, air warfare is a key aspect to the game now. And mobility and long-range firepower never went out of vogue. Tanks seem far more vulnerable now, and with the ability to choose an ally one's weak spot can be somewhat strengthened. Psychic warfare also seems more important, or at least more useful, as well. Power weapons don't seem as deadly, and assaults in general can be a tad less of a sure thing, what with random assault range and overwatch.

Considering all this, its really a science now to put together a potent list, and equally important to really understand an opponent's weaknesses in his list, and have sufficient capability to exploit it effectively, while staying one step ahead. I'll say this about 6th ed over 5th ed- things have become more complex and now its really as much a thinking man's game as a game of dice and probabilities. I'm still feeling my way through it, and reading articles such as what you started here help me. Keep at it, and let us know of your efforts!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode