2K Space Wolves - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

2K Space Wolves

Haven't got the book yet waiting for the starter set but looking at the wolves i think should be pretty strong so i'm hopefully able to get these guys reday for a battle once i get my hands on the book. please let me know what you think of it

HQ – 300 pts

Wolf Guard Battle leader – 200 pts
- Frost Blade
- Stormshield
- Thunderwolf
- wolves
- wolf tail
- melta bombs

Rune Priest – 100 pts
Livling Lighting
Jaws of the world wolf
Storm caller

( i know there are 3 here which 2 would be the best? i was thinking storm caller for the save around my unts because tanks aren't to strong, thoughts?)

Elites – 414 pts

Wolf Guard - 414 pts
1 Wolf Guard in terminator armour with combi-plasma and wolf claw
1 Wolf Guard in terminator armour with combi-plasma and power sword
1 Wolf Guard in terminator armour with combi-melta and power sword
1 Wolf Guard in terminator armour with combi-melta and Chainfist
1 Wolf Guard in terminator armour with cyclone missile launcher, storm bolter and power sword
3 Wolf Guard with Power Armour, Combi Melta and Powerfist
Drop Pod

Troops – 555 pts

Grey Hunter Pack – 185 pts
8 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Wolf Standard and Mark of Wulfen
Rhino APC transport

Rhino APC transport

Rhino APC transport

Fast Attack – 421 pts

2 Land speeders – 120 pts
Multi melta

3 Thunder Wolf – 205 pts
- Storm Shield
- Power fist

12 Ferisian wolf pack – 96 pts
Heavy support – 430 pts

Long Fangs Pack -215 pts
sergeant, 5 Long Fangs with Missile Launchers
Razorback APC with twin linked lascannon

Long Fangs Pack – 215 pts
1 sergeant, 5 Long Fangs with Missile Launchers
Razorback APC with twin linked lascannon

WGBL joins the unit of thunderwolves and teams up with the drop pod termies with an array of weapons to smash down the enemy, while using the wolves as cover and distraction to other units.
The rune priest with the GH packs move onto objectives and set themselves up while the long fangs set up and blast away at tanks and MC
While the land speeders will come down and take out any last wounds on MC and take care of any tanks that are left around also to contest an objective if they are still around.

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 07:37 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

It would be worth the points to upgrade your WGBL to a full Wolf Lord.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 10:54 AM

Lash Machine's Flag is: England

You will also need something to deal with flyers.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 08:50 PM

well he dose have 2 packs of long fangs and 2 razorbacks. Flyers are always going to be an issue with Space Wolves due to our lack or ranged fire power. I think he has enough, he will just have to be carefull not to put too much fire power into the flyers and forget about the rest of the army.

Upgrade the WGBL to a Wolf Lord. Also I woild take a wolf claw over the frost blade. You have already lost an attack with the storm shield and having the option to reroll to hit or wond is great.

Drop the frisian wolves. They will just get shot up. With the extra fast attack slot split your land speeders up so that they are single. That way the enemy will have to target 2 diffrent targets insted of just one.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 12:22 AM

akahdrin's Flag is: Soth Korea

Looks like a 5th edition list copy and paste. It won't fair very well with the rules changes. People need to stop thinking of lists of last month.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 12:27 AM

The list overall is extremely viable still, is it as strong as it was? No but it will not get wafflestomped either. It would be better if you posted thoughts of how to change it and give your reasons as to why those changes should be done. Blanket statements of 'get with the picture that's so 5th.' help no one. List reasons, and suggestions, then people can discuss said reasons and suggestions. This leads to a stronger understanding of the game for everyone.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 01:02 AM

Meltas aren't what they use to be as glancing weapons are better to take out vehicles. What's more likely to do damage a melta at 6 inches or an auto cannon glancing it out?

Packing tons of missiles versus that can be stacked out by putting a 2+ armor save character in front of it and just using LoS for AP2 weapons.

Rhinos are overall bad now because 1 squad of havocs can glance it out on turn 1, awesome hm? IG with autocannons will do the same, SW & BA with missiles...you see the picture. In 5th, glances just meant...maybe you're just not moving...but in general the rhino is still there. Now poof gone.

Land speeders while they are nice to have with their multi-melta, and even with their new jink save, they are still very ineffective.

Why does every wolf guard have different gear, that wound allocation doesn't work anymore. Also as per the FAQ for space wolves, wolf guard are only characters as squad leaders so mixing their gear won't let you allocate wounds differently and they don't get to LoS each other.

People need to read their codex before making new 6th lists. Get rid of all preconceived lists and what worked before. Pretend the codex just came out.

Last edited by akahdrin; 07-13-12 at 01:14 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akahdrin View Post
Meltas are what they use to be as glancing weapons are better to take out vehicles. What's more likely to do damage a melta at 6 inches or an auto cannon glancing it out?
ACs can be gained in the SW codex by running Dreads, Preds, Termies and Speeders. None of these are available to GH, and cost more points than the melta.

Packing tons of missiles versus that can be stacked out by putting a 2+ armor save character in front of it and just using LoS for AP2 weapons.
Move to the side, Character is not at the front anymore. Or unload on the character, let him die, the rest of the unit is now wide open. LoS saves will kill the unit as well.

Rhinos are overall bad now because 1 squad of havocs can glance it out on turn 1, awesome hm? IG with autocannons will do the same, SW & BA with missiles...you see the picture. In 5th, glances just meant...maybe you're just not moving...but in general the rhino is still there. Now poof gone.
There is this thing called cover, use it.

Land speeders while they are nice to have with their multi-melta, and even with their new jink save, they are still very ineffective.
Cheap, quick striking melta, that can now DS and not mishap if it lands on a unit. It instead moves to the side.

Why does every wolf guard have different gear, that wound allocation doesn't work anymore. Also as per the FAQ for space wolves, wolf guard are only characters as squad leaders so mixing their gear won't let you allocate wounds differently and they don't get to LoS each other.
Agreed there is no reason to multigear like this, it is one of the biggest point sinks in the list. Might be for fluffy bunny reasons.

People need to read their codex before making new 6th lists. Get rid of all preconceived lists and what worked before. Pretend the codex just came out.

Responses are in green above, yes the game is vastly different. At the same time SW are still just as strong as they were, it just requires playing differently. Most lists are still viable, just have to be played with more thought involved.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 01:34 AM

You're going to see a massive shift to foot slogging with the change to glancing vehicles for transports, but you'll see armor 13 vehicles start to be on the rise. I think this will be a fun time for predators and vindicators (not for wolves I think, but for codex marines).

I'm aware that we don't get auto cannons, I was using it as an example. Overall the flamer is a better choice now if you like playing the mid range shooty rapid fire style wolves. I switched to all flamers instead of the meltas I was packing before and have been ripping it up. Sure they can move to the side and shoot, now they're snap shooting their heavy weapons and if they're not heavy, it wasn't really much of a concern anyways unless it's orks as they only get -1 to BS when doing it where marines get -3 (huge difference considering their RoF is superior to ours).

Land speeders being cheap on points with a multimelta is correct, but you still have to get within 12 inches to have it be decent versus 13+ armor and at that distance, you might as well just remove it from the board.

He'd be better off dropping the razor backs from the long fangs as they are massive point sinks now for armor 11 that gets glances out with very common weapons, taking another full squad of them, dropping off the speeders and the wolves (unless you have something to go with them that increases their leadership as I'm not sure where your lord is running),

Like I said, the lists aren't what they use to be. Most lists will be viable for now because people will still be using the same stuff as before. Be different, make the new list now and stomp your friends using the new rules to your advantage by capitalizing on strengths of units that weren't previously as strong.

I will admit though that thunder wolf death stars are still quite funny, even though I don't use them.

Don't forget you can take Blood Angels as an ally. I've already converted death company into the 13th, death company dread, furioso (they both have wolf talons...cooler than blood talons!), baal predator (this tank is silly), and 2 choices for heavies...not sure which one I'll use...basically another squad of devestators (long fangs with 10 point missiles) or an autocannon / bolter pred.

Oh and that thing called cover is only 5+ now, huge change to vehicles as well.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 01:49 AM

I am not disagreeing with the shift to foot slogging, I am disagreeing that transports are useless now. It is mobility especially when one of the deployments is short table edges. I personally rarely used any transports at all in 5th because I did not like how easy they were to kill then, I tended towards DPs more often than not. They still have uses though and they are cheap for what they provide.

In terms of moving to the side and shooting another unit, it doesn't need to be heavy weapons to be a threat. Bolters will kill things just as easy as high ap, especially if you can get a angle that only gives you clear LoS to a few models in the unit. Focus Fire those few, and they will start dropping.

Speeders are more for those random high AV targets that happen, they are not there to be wafflestomp lists.

I am leaning more towards a IG ally set myself for now, mainly because I like the Vendetta model and wanted one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode