Space Wolves 1k Narrative Campaign/Tournament - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-12, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Psycho_Tyco's Flag is: England

Space Wolves 1k Narrative Campaign/Tournament

Hello all, my local Store is heading up to Warhammer World in February as part of a team to face off against the other Stores in the south west region of England, and each member of the team take 1000 points each (standard force organisation chart) up to play a series of games throughout the day against the other teams etc, to determine a winning store i guess.

Even thought this is meant to be a 'narrative campaign' i have a sneaky feeling some people will be bearding it up for the day, so i'd thought i'd try to prepare myself and muster a force with what i have available, and here it is at 1000 points on the nose, and to remind you this is my first time i am playing this way and haven't written a Semi Tourney list before :D :

Rune Priest - LL/JOTWW /w Bolter

6 Grey Hunters - PF/MG /w TLLC Razor Back

6 Grey Hunters - PF/MG /w TLLC Razor Back

8 Grey Hunters - PF/MG /w Rhino

6 LF's - 3 HB's 2 ML's

6 LF's - 3 PC's 2 LC's

The Rune Priest will Ride in the Rhino so he can use his Psychic Awesomness from the top of the Rhino :D
i would greatly appreciate any Critique as i feel it would help me Smite the other Stores.....

Please Help lvl up my Nid's, they need to grow!

Last edited by Psycho_Tyco; 01-09-12 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-12, 09:47 PM

CE5511's Flag is: USA

Drop the bolter for a bolt pistol. You will never fire the bolter and the priest could always use another attack. I would also concider getting a trio of wolf guard with fists and combi meltas to lead your hunter squads. Also I'm leery on mixing guns on long fangs, split fire is nice but your squad leader will likely be the first to die in the squad. Also concider throwing the lasbacks as dedicated to the long fangs just so they can ride up first turn during dawn of war missions. Your hunters can hop in then drive up during every other game with no problem
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-12, 12:17 AM

The Dog Boy's Flag is: USA

I second CE5511. I suspect that your LF equipment is dictated by what you have, but evening out to all ML will get you points for WG. Remember that a WG with PF costs less than a GH with a PF by 2 pts. Not much, I know, but by dropping a GH and replacing him with a WG you get an extra point of Ld for the Counter-Assault test and an extra CC attack for fewer points. Done deal.
Now, add in the points for as many of those heavies that you can switch to ML, maybe even drop one from each pack, and you can tool up the squads with the most important improvements: Combi-Melta or Combi-Plasma for the WG and Mark of the Wulfen for the GH packs!!! It is worth it. The Wolf Standard can be a real bonus as well, but I would get the MotW first. Consider it as an extra set of GH attacks with rending, providing the small 6man packs with the punch of a respectable 7man pack. The smaller packs might not have enough dice rolls to really get much from the Standard, but then again it is solid insurance against crap luck on that one turn that you need to do well.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 02:06 AM

Necrosapien's Flag is: USA

I usually opt for power weapons on the 6 man packs, mostly because with a smaller unit (I also hate going last) the power fist can't splat anyone if he dies waiting for his turn to strike. Saves a few points too.

I also think missile spam is stupid....I know it wins but everyone does it. Its not fun or interesting.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 01:26 PM

Nor is it fun and interesting to watch all my AP2 templates wandering all over the damn place or using LC to try and kill Ork and Tyranid swarms. To each his own.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Psycho_Tyco's Flag is: England

Unfortunately Dogboy, these are the only available LF models I have so I am going to have make do on that one, just wondering what advice you guys would be able to share with me as it sounds like you have alot more experience playing SW's than myself :p

Please Help lvl up my Nid's, they need to grow!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 05:14 PM

Necrosapien's Flag is: USA

The wolves really are a mid range army, least thats how I play them. Try and keep the 6 man Grey hunters in Rapid fire range as long as possible. With their countercharge ability whoever survives the volley will think twice about charging them but probably will anyway to avoid being charged. I take Las/Plas razors and keep them close-ish to the Grey hunters after they disembark to help support them with plasma shots or crack armor if they need to...eseentially making the razor an armored 7th man that can block LOS/provide some cover, or a get away if need be

((Course thats kind of situational also....Fight the shooty stuff, Shoot the fighty stuff))

The 8 man squad I would charge, all out toward the bad guys. I'd also put the RP in there as a moving psychic screen and he can use his powers out the top. So that'll be fun.

The LF packs I would deploy for normal fire support...just try and get a good LOS for them and remember, they're still wolves so they can still counter charge assaulting bad guys. Also, if you can manage, try deploying the Long Fangs so they can drop interlocking fields of fire on anyone that looks like they might be coming after either them.

But in reality I've only played a handful of games so others might be more experienced than I. Thats just what I would do. Good Luck!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-12, 06:06 PM

The 8-man GH pack is your money unit. Very tough to move off of an objective, especially when covered by a LF pack or two and/or supported by an Independent Character, but it isn't invulnerable! The trick is going to be to get them where you want them before their Rhino is toasted and to prioritize your firepower against units that can harm the Hunters, so we're talking units with Power Weapons, Plasma guns, ML and LC...stuff like that. Flatten them with everything you got ASAP, or at least threaten them enough to restrict their deployment or keep them on the move and not shooting at you.

In Objective claiming games just squat on one and you've got it. Use the smaller packs to disrupt your enemies plans. Unless it comes down to KPs, the 6man units with Razorbacks are very shooty for such a small unit and can face down a slightly larger grunt unit or a single MC just fine (well, once per game that is). Also good for speeding into the enemy's backfield, ignoring the guys up front, and beating up on the enemy's support units. With 3 troop units you also have a big advantage for grabbing objectives so use it! One defense is to force your enemy to dilute his own power by saturating him with too many choices, too many targets, too many priorities. It's a soft defense but it's for real.

I urgently suggest that you replace 1 GH in each pack with a WG. Even with a PF, you gain more overall LD, more PF attacks, and save 6 points for you to get a single combi-something for the 8man pack. Juicy sauce. No extra models, no weird conversions, and no extra points (in fact you'll be at 999 exactly).

With the LF consider reorganizing them by range rather than purpose. Not mandatory but it will avoid situations where some can fire and others can't. Remember your Sgt is going to take the first wound so you will (normally) lose your split-fire early. Naturally that'll depend entirely on which models you have to choose from. Also, since you are limited by model selection try to set up your LF to support your main attack or defense as well as each other. Some players also place their RP with them for extra Ld and CC defense. Unlimited range Psychic powers are awesome for this, but the LF will become a big target and the RP won't be able to move around for better shots.

Placing the RP with the 8man pack is risky because he's not a beast, but he is good and will strongly boost the packs power and survivability and they will become Target No.1 Supreme. If you choose to do that then consider different powers, sure, but remember that LL is an unlimited range plasma gun with d6 shots and no "Get's Hot!". That's very hard to say no to because it's awesome in any deployment, anywhere on the field.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode