New Space Wolves Player - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-11, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Psycho_Tyco's Flag is: England

New Space Wolves Player

Welcome fellow Heretics,

i have been given a small SW force from a close friend, and was wondering wether you would be able to help make sense of the units i have and how to play them.

So far i have:

Logan Grimnar
Canis Wolfborn
Njal Storm Caller
3 Wolf guard in Terminator Armour (Assault Cannon/Chainfist, Dual Wolf Claws, TH Chainfist)

5 Long Fangs (from the standard Devastator Box)
5 Wolf Scouts /w Heavy Bolter
5 Sky Claws with PW and PP
10 Grey Hunters
10 Blood Claws
1 Rhino
1 Drop Pod

i will also be getting the Codex from him soon so i can learn how each unit works etc, and was wondering in the meantime would you help me formulate something so i can get stuck in with what i have straightaway?

Thanks in Advance :D

Please Help lvl up my Nid's, they need to grow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-11, 05:20 PM

The Dog Boy's Flag is: USA

Well, the quick and dirty is that you've got a great selection of special characters. They can guide you as you develop your ultimate list and you're wide open to try several options as your army develops.

The bad news is that your models do not synergize (I hate that word) at all. The Long Fangs, Gray Hunters, Scouts and Rhino are standards and you will easily find a place for them in every list you ever make. The HW choice for the Scouts isn't optimal but it definitely isn't a bad one, either.
The Blood Claws and Sky Claws aren't popular, and your selection of models highlights why. Without a Wolf Priest (which you didn't get) or a Wolf Guard to lead them they are strongly handicapped as they must charge the enemy every turn. You've got Wolf Guard, but without jump packs that can't join the Sky Claws and in Terminator armor they can't consolidate with the Blood Claws, which focus on HTH and the consolidate moves it provides.
The Wolf Guard are excellent, Terminator armor is cheap for them, but they will have to be in a separate unit on their own and you only have three which ain't good. As you have them here they'll want to be in the Drop Pod with an HQ and not leading your squads. Unfortunately, in low point games leading squads is an overall better option as you can hide some PF or FB in there.
What you've got are some assault troops, but without the necessary numbers or support to succeed, Drop Pod attack without enough numbers or support, and not enough firepower to stop vehicles or Monstrous Creatures. What you DO have is a great start and a lot of potentials to experiment with. Ideal, really.

Lastly, although your characters are awesome, they are really too expensive to use in an army with the models you have. But as I said, they will guide your army's development until you get to the point where you can use them...I'd say about 2000 or 2500 pts. Maybe 1500 if you're impatient but they'll actually hamper your army by taking up too many points. Also, Canis's special ability is really only for armies that utilize Fenrisian Wolves and Thunderwolf Cavalry which you didn't get, but you should think about 'em!

Good news! You saved hundreds of dollars. Hundreds. I'm jealous.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-11, 06:47 PM

aranelthemithra's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would pick a direction now. Either by looking through lists on the forum and picking one you like, or just thematically.

You have some tools there to work as trade or sales bait to fill in the gaps in the direction you might choose to go.

Directions to go are varied, but Cannis fits in only one. So you might want to consider if you want to go the wolf-route and if not, maybe see if you can find cannis a new home in exchange for say... 10 grey hunters and a priest (wolf/rune based on your preference). Grey hunters are just bread and butter troops you can't ignore and a priest of some kind will support whatever direction you choose to go.

Cannis also has a 50$ retail value, so that is another consideration. Additionally, since I am trying to do this myself, I can tell you that TWC aren't cheap! So keep that in mind if you do go the wolf route... they are pricey figures that you can't get from GW or almost all retailers.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-11, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Psycho_Tyco's Flag is: England

Tyankyou for the Advice, it is greatly appreciated and i think i have come up with a direction in which i want to take my SW army.

I am going to go for a 2000 Point Force, opting to take Nigel Stormcaller as my main HQ with some wolf guard in teminator armour with him rocking out in a LR Redeemer/Crusader, backed up with a Runepriest (how he'll be kitted out i do not know yet and what unit to stick him in) and for troops i like the idea of 9 Grey Hunters with a Wolfguard stuck in a rhino together to fill a few troop choice slots, perhaps a couple of long fang units with 4 Missile launchers and 1 lascannon maybe, and perhaps put a Wolfguard in terminator armour with a cyclone missile launcherwith one squad to protect them if somone nasty come along, and if i can maybe try to squeeze a Dread/Preadator in there somewhere.

I apologize if this seems alot, it is just an idea floating around my head and would like to see if it sounds viable or not :D

Please Help lvl up my Nid's, they need to grow!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-11, 11:11 AM

cobra.commander's Flag is: USA

I would suggest NOT putting njal in a LR....This is just my opinion, but he can't use his abilities while in the Land Raider. I would just deck out some shooty terminators, stick him with them, and put him in a drop pod, and drop him in the middle of the board...yes they will have to walk everywhere, but with the terminator access to long range firepower and njal's psychic powers, you should do just fine. Save the land raider for a more CC oriented unit...like Logan grimnar and CC termies

COOOOBRAAAAAAAAA RETREE......ATTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

See the mighty forces of the 1st Iron Legion of Kobra
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-11, 02:14 PM

Necrosapien's Flag is: USA

First off, I'm totally jealous of your free models.

A lot of people advocate for the same heavy weapon choice in long fang packs but I like to split them up. Like 2 lascannons, 2 heavy bolters, and 1 missile launcher. The missile launcher spam is very reliable though from what I've heard. It just feels more 'wolfy' to me having a bunch of grissled vets with seperate heavies standing over a battlefield firing where the younger troops need it the most....bu thats more theme than crunch.

Good luck! I think you'll like the wolves. I absolutely love grey hunters those guys are tough as nails.

again, totally jealous....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-11, 06:04 PM

aranelthemithra's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Tyco View Post
Tyankyou for the Advice, it is greatly appreciated and i think i have come up with a direction in which i want to take my SW army.

I am going to go for a 2000 Point Force, opting to take Nigel Stormcaller as my main HQ with some wolf guard in teminator armour with him rocking out in a LR Redeemer/Crusader, backed up with a Runepriest (how he'll be kitted out i do not know yet and what unit to stick him in) and for troops i like the idea of 9 Grey Hunters with a Wolfguard stuck in a rhino together to fill a few troop choice slots, perhaps a couple of long fang units with 4 Missile launchers and 1 lascannon maybe, and perhaps put a Wolfguard in terminator armour with a cyclone missile launcherwith one squad to protect them if somone nasty come along, and if i can maybe try to squeeze a Dread/Preadator in there somewhere.

I apologize if this seems alot, it is just an idea floating around my head and would like to see if it sounds viable or not :D
Cobra.Commander is right, don't put Njal in a rhino - the drop pod idea is cool though, but honestly he's perfectly effective deployed a foot in with terminator body guards - the drop pod ensures he is in the heart of the action and has some additional firepower behind him and a useful cover if needed.

Grey hunters in rhinos is good, grey hunters in razorbacks better. Grey hunters in drop pods works. Grey hunters randomly tossed on the battlefield, not bad. Get where I am going with this... Grey hunters, however you get them in to a useful position are just great.

Long fangs with Missile launchers is the way to go. As I understand it, it's a way to protect your sgt. from attrition so you can keep splitting your fire for as long as possible.

Make sure to field a couple of squads of grey hunters at least. They really are that good.

I think you are on the right path.

Get rid of Cannis. I would take him off your hands if it were viable, but someone will want him and you should be able to reinforce your list with what you can get back.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode