First Space Marine Army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

dborgeslfc's Flag is: USA

First Space Marine Army

So I'm putting together my first army (about 1000 points so far), and I was just looking for suggestions as to what kind of unit(s) I should add next. I'm still learning the rules, so any help would be appreciated. The army I have so far comes from the Assault on Black Reach set and the SM battleforce:

1 SM Captain
25 Tactical Marines
5 Scouts
5 Terminators
5 Assault Marines
1 Dreadnought
1 Rhino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 04:52 PM

Well, first things first, welcome to heresy.

Now onto the list. Maybe something like this....

Captain w/ artificier aromour and relic blade

Tactical Squad (10 man) w/ flamer and missile launcher in rhino

Tactical Squad (10 man) w/ melta and missile launcher in razorback w/ lascannon and twin linked plasma gun
Sargent w/ power weapon

Scout squad (5 man) w/ ccw+bp and teleport homer

Terminator squad (5man)

Assault squad (5man)

thats 1005pts
Adding the captain to 5 marines (sergeant + melta + 3 bolters) in the razor back for assaulting objectives with the other 5 marines (missile launcher + 4 bolters) to guard an objective. Whilst the scouts infiltrate and allow the terminators to deep strike in to kill any tough opponents. Use assault marines to kill any squishy non close combat units (such as guardsmen or devestators).

however a more optimum build would be dropping the scouts, terminators and assault squads and replace them with a pair or auto las predators but seeing as you dont yet have them the above list would be an ok choice.

Hope any of this has been of at least some use.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 05:42 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgeslfc View Post
So I'm putting together my first army (about 1000 points so far), and I was just looking for suggestions as to what kind of unit(s) I should add next. I'm still learning the rules, so any help would be appreciated. The army I have so far comes from the Assault on Black Reach set and the SM battleforce:

1 SM Captain
25 Tactical Marines
5 Scouts
5 Terminators
5 Assault Marines
1 Dreadnought
1 Rhino
OK so for the captain a relic blade and combi melta is a good start - 145
Dreadnought I assume has a MM. If possible try and get this as counts as plasma cannon - 115
Scouts need snipers and a ML - 85
Tactical squad - 210 (meltagun, ML and rhino)
Tactical squad - 210 (") basically you need at least another rhino :S

Now maybe invest in either land speeders or predators for some fire support. However, from what you've got I'd say:

Terminators - 235 (cyclone launcher if you can get one, then all PF/SB except one with PF/CF)

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm really looking for additional units to add, rather than try and make up the 1000 points just with what I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
basically you need at least another rhino :S
I figured it would be good to invest in some vehicles, I will definitely get another Rhino (or more) at some point, thank you.

Anyone got any suggestions on additional troop units I might invest in?

Again, thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I'm definitely a noob.

Please visit my Space Marine project log https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...78#post1101078
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 04:31 AM

Sternguard are pretty fun to make from extra bits and some eBay combi-meltas (or you could buy the GW finecast ones). but more to the point of this thread, they are not a bad addition to any Vanilla Marine list. just remember that they are best used as midrange fire support (rather than assaulters) due to their special ammo.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenskin View Post
Sternguard are pretty fun to make from extra bits and some eBay combi-meltas (or you could buy the GW finecast ones). but more to the point of this thread, they are not a bad addition to any Vanilla Marine list. just remember that they are best used as midrange fire support (rather than assaulters) due to their special ammo.
Just looked up the Sternguard in SM codex, and I really dig them. Very helpful suggestion Greenskin, thank you. I love the different ammo options that they have.

I may also create a Vanguard squad and give them thunder hammers just because I love the look/feel of the hammer. (I recently played through the Space Marine video game, and it was by FAR the most fun weapon to use in the game.)

Please visit my Space Marine project log https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...78#post1101078
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 07:41 PM

Before you buy a unit you are most likely not going to use don't buy vanguard squads. They are looked upon as overpriced for what they do unless you want to run a " for fun" list. I highly suggest you pick up some heavy support in the form of autolas predators, or my preference vindicators.

Fast melta is essential for any 40k game and the best conduit IMO is land speeders. I run on average 4 per game so picking up one or two may be something you should look into as I have found them to be successful.

I agree with spanner that plasmanaughts are a great use of elites, but they are best run as pairs. If you want to use your MM dreadnought effectively a drop pod is imperative.Your terminators definitely need a heavy weapon as well my preference is the assault cannon and you can probably pick up an individual model on ebay.

A librarian is also another great flexible choice that can be used against every army, and would complement your terminators if you give him GoI and null zone. These are all my opinions and the most priority units by far are your scoring units so pick up a rhino, and maybe a razorback for your troops.

~ 5000 points of space marines and almost 3000 points of dark eldar

"Wise men don't need advice and fools do not take it"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 07:49 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Just a tip about getting more rhinos... Buy the razorback kit instead, as it's nearly the smae price, and then you can use it as either.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode