1500 Point Salamanders army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-11, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Azezael's Flag is: New Zealand

Default 1500 Point Salamanders army

Hey guys, so I'm new to these forums and thought I'd just start out by asking for a good army plan.
I'm planning a Salamanders Army around 1500-1800 points (the games we play are pretty casual so there's often some leniency) however I would prefer a force that is at or just under 1500.
The people I'll be going up against have Tau, Necrons and Chaos Space marines armies.

HQ Vulkan He'stan- 190 Points

Elites:
Terminator Assault Squad- 200 Points
5 Man THs and SSs

Sternguard veteran Squad- 330 Points
1 Combi-Melta, 8 Boltguns Sgt. with Power weapon
Dedicated transport: Drop pod with Deathwind ML

Venerable Dreadnought- 240 Points
TL lascannon and CC weaon+ heavy flamer
Dedicated Transport: Drop pod with Deathwind ML

Troops:
Tactical Squad- 225 Points
MM, Flamer

Tactical squad- 235 Points
MM, Meltagun

Scout squad- 105 Points
Sniper rifles, Camo cloaks

If I'm correct that should put it at 1520 Points. Any help would be appreciated in terms of improvement or tips for use against my opponents. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 07:39 PM

IronWarrior123's Flag is: Scotland

Scouts are only 90 points, so 1505

Duty calls, put it on hold!
The Chosen of Kyal-2903points
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 08:51 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azezael View Post
Hey guys, so I'm new to these forums and thought I'd just start out by asking for a good army plan.
I'm planning a Salamanders Army around 1500-1800 points (the games we play are pretty casual so there's often some leniency) however I would prefer a force that is at or just under 1500.
The people I'll be going up against have Tau, Necrons and Chaos Space marines armies.

HQ Vulkan He'stan- 190 Points

Elites:
Terminator Assault Squad- 200 Points
5 Man THs and SSs
These guys need transport really or they'll just get shot down. The Redeemer's the best option.
Sternguard veteran Squad- 330 Points
1 Combi-Melta, 8 Boltguns Sgt. with Power weapon
These guys should run up in a rhino, otherwise they're pretty unmanouverable once they've landed. Also, maybe a couple more combis might suit you in case you miss with the first.

Venerable Dreadnought- 240 Points
TL lascannon and CC weaon+ heavy flamer
Dedicated Transport: Drop pod with Deathwind ML
Venerables are a waste of points. Get an Ironclad in a standard drop pod.

Troops:
Tactical Squad- 225 Points
MM, Flamer
Tbh a rhino is a better option for troops as it keeps them mobile, plus they now have a more viable anti-tank capability and threat.

Tactical squad- 235 Points
MM, Meltagun
Same as above.

Scout squad- 105 Points
Sniper rifles, Camo cloaks
Good choice, but maybe invest in a missile launcher.

If I'm correct that should put it at 1520 Points. Any help would be appreciated in terms of improvement or tips for use against my opponents. Cheers.
That comes to 1670, so I might drop either the sternguard, or the TH/SS w/ redeemer, and then fill in the gaps with mm/hf speeders, to get it down to 1500. At 1800, maybe grab a predator or vindicator for heavy support.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 08:56 PM

Takana77's Flag is: USA

Some of those points seem a bit off. With a droppod assault it is strongly recommended that you have 2, 3, or 5 pods to take advantage of the half rounded up rule. Go with a basic dread instead of the venerable. When you have sternguard its worth it to get a combi weapon for every model over other upgrades for other units. The terminators will be at a big disadvantage with any mobility to them.

Perhaps tweak the list a bit like this:

HQ: 190 Points
Vulkan

Elite: 690 Points
Dread - HF/MM, DP/DWML
Dread - HF/MM, DP/DWML
Sternguard x9 - PF, CM x6, CF x3, DP/DWML

Troops: 620 Points
Tactical x10 - PF, CF, Flamer, MM, DP/DWML
Scout x5 - Cloaks, ML, SR x4

All those DWML are chewing up 100 points all by themselves. With that you could nab a vanilla libby or a dakka pred or a typhoon speeder (or hf/mm for fluff).

Hope this helps and GL.

Tak
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-11, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Azezael's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takana77 View Post
Some of those points seem a bit off. With a droppod assault it is strongly recommended that you have 2, 3, or 5 pods to take advantage of the half rounded up rule. Go with a basic dread instead of the venerable. When you have sternguard its worth it to get a combi weapon for every model over other upgrades for other units. The terminators will be at a big disadvantage with any mobility to them.

Perhaps tweak the list a bit like this:

HQ: 190 Points
Vulkan

Elite: 690 Points
Dread - HF/MM, DP/DWML
Dread - HF/MM, DP/DWML
Sternguard x9 - PF, CM x6, CF x3, DP/DWML

Troops: 620 Points
Scout x5 - Cloaks, ML, SR x4

All those DWML are chewing up 100 points all by themselves. With that you could nab a vanilla libby or a dakka pred or a typhoon speeder (or hf/mm for fluff).

Hope this helps and GL.

Tak
Yeah your army plan seems like it would be a good way for me to go. The only reason why I'm so DP heavy is because I want to get in close quickly to take out Tau, but I guess Rhinos would work pretty well too. And is a standard Dreadnought good enough? I can imagine it being obliterated by a Railgun very early into the game.
Also, I am pretty keen on having some Termies in my army, but would they just end up being a liability? I'm not a very experienced player sorry
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-11, 12:36 AM

RedHotMagma's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Yeah your army plan seems like it would be a good way for me to go. The only reason why I'm so DP heavy is because I want to get in close quickly to take out Tau, but I guess Rhinos would work pretty well too. And is a standard Dreadnought good enough? I can imagine it being obliterated by a Railgun very early into the game.
Also, I am pretty keen on having some Termies in my army, but would they just end up being a liability? I'm not a very experienced player sorry
What I do to annihilate Tau is to distract their RG from killing your rhino and weak vehicles with some very heavy vehicle (land raider) or a DP iron dread. How I play is to move full out 12" every time with land raider and shoot 1 gun (AC) and move full 12" for the rhino as well and if you don't get to a cover in the first turn, pop a smoke for the extra chance of survival. Also deep strike iron dread right in their face so they will panic (hopefully) and shoot the dread, giving time for the land raider and rhino to catch up to them. Iron dread can also pop a smoke which is very nice and iron dread with MM and HF can do massive amount of damage on the Tau.

PS. I would get land speeders because they can harass the enemy very well

Salamander Army WIP <-- Click the Text to see it

'I can pulp your flesh and snap your bones in less than a second, and without so much as lifting a finger. What is the power of technology compared to that?' -Chief Librarian of the Salamanders

Salamander Army Red Hot Magma W:6 T:0 L:0
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-11, 04:36 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
My last Tau battle was Annihilation-Spearhead. You really, really want to close in fast.

My Dread was good enough to last until Turn 4--my opponent focused on shooting my Rhinos before I could get them across the field. As RedHotMagma said, you really want something that will scare your opponent and draw his fire, like a LRR.

Terminators are not a liability. I had a deep strike mishap with my five assault terminators in Turn 4 and my opponent put them into a killbox he had formed. I think he wanted the KP, but he really shouldn't have done that. By Turn 5 I had assaulted one of the fire warrior squads that had formed part of the killbox and annihilated them. If there had been a Turn 6 I would have started in on one of the other squads.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode