Symbol of Eight Scroll - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Sketches and Warhammer 40k Art Share your GW themed sketches, comics and artwork here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-12, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Default Symbol of Eight Scroll

It's been a while since I really posted anything here, but I'll make my artistic debut by creating an ancient looking Star of Chaos. The look I'm going for is as if it were written on a magic scroll or a page torn from some tome of forbidden knowledge long ago.

I'll throw a few pictures up as I make worthwhile progress. First, however, I'd like to elaborate on how I'm going to 'age' my sketchbook paper. Most of you probably know how to do this, as it's rather simple, but it's a neat trick for those who don't.

You'll need a piece of paper to boot, preferably sketchbook paper as it's a little more rugged than computer or notebook paper. Also a couple bags of black tea. Some people prefer using coffee or even baking the paper in an oven, but this works for me. Simply brew a cup and start dabbing the tea bags over your paper.

Just don't be rough, because the bags tend to rip open if you use it for too long or too aggressively. Try to be random with your strokes to create a more realistic looking stain. Once one layer is finished, let the page dry completely before going over it again to cover up spots you missed or darken it up if you prefer.

Simple as that.

Anyway, here's my paper so far. I will probably touch up a few areas but I'm going to get started sketching out my design. It'll be a Tzeentch inspired star written, eventually, in blood red ink with a few details here/there in black.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-12, 06:46 PM

cain the betrayer's Flag is: Netherlands

I'm interersted in how it will turn out.

Check out my warriors of chaos log here
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-12, 11:31 PM

VixusKragov's Flag is: USA

I've done coffee before for a paper that had to look "old" and it look realistically stained but the level of crumpling was fairly unrealistic. I like how your paper looks. Much better than the result I had.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

To combat the crumpling which inevitably happens with wet paper, I just sat a few heavy books over top of the paper after it dried to smooth it out. It's still not flat, but it's not distractingly crumpled.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Update.

I won't bombard you guys with pics, but I thought I'd show you guys the sort of angle I'm going for with this. Here's the North arm of the star which has been outlined. I would have slapped on some of the juicy 'blood' ink but unfortunately the calligraphy pen I have is way too light for my taste.

I've thought about using some sort of gold or bronze over some of the more ornate parts of the drawing to give it a more magically legit vibe, which should snap very well with the red. Plenty of time to decide. Again, it's a rather simple drawing but has been a lot of fun so far. It's been a while since I've drawn anything.

The Chaplain does not approve, which is either a good or bad thing.

Last edited by Holmstrom; 02-27-12 at 11:43 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-12, 10:05 AM
Feed

This is fantastic stuff.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-12, 11:41 AM

VixusKragov's Flag is: USA

If your trying to go for a magical kind of vibe, maybe outline it in gold like you say and the little diamond-looking things near the bottom in the tentacles could be colored as well, depending on what you're going for.

Looks great so far! Love the dude in the top left corner.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-12, 12:04 AM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

I wana do something like this for my self portrait for life drawing... Great work so far!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-12, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! Can't wait to show the fully outlined piece in a few days.

As far as outlining it all with gold, I'd probably do no more than accent certain parts that are to be colored in red. While I do want it to be a bit mystical in regards to color scheme, I don't want too much gold as to overpower the surrounding parchment with shininess.

I'm just glad to have made it so far without any catastrophic pen-stroke accidents .
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Update.

Alright, I lied. I haven't had as much time to progress as far as I've desired. Was hoping to get the entire star outlined by today, but if anyone is following this thread I'll throw them a bone. Four arms down, four to go.

Last edited by Holmstrom; 03-03-12 at 10:24 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Sketches and Warhammer 40k Art

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode