CONTEST: Pandoran Crabs (prize money involved) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Sketches and Warhammer 40k Art Share your GW themed sketches, comics and artwork here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-12, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

DasOmen's Flag is: USA

Default CONTEST: Pandoran Crabs (prize money involved)

Aloha and welcome heretics to the Second yes SECOND contest hosted by Dasomen. this time around we're dealing with the imperial guard regiment the Pandoran Crabs.

Everything (most everything) you need to find out about the pandoran crabs is right here

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=97951
a decent way to think of the crabs attire is a combination but not copy of several things. i ask that artists take inspiration from these sources when depicting their armor

Mass Effect
Dead Space
the Helghast
also keep in mind that everything they wear is designed to form a hermetical seal, thus is rated for space, vacuums, and being submerged in water.

but on the line right now from now friday january 20th untill may 10th is 100$ of my own cash that will go to the best entry in this contest as voted on by the judges. now then, for the First set of possibilities

Primer 1:For the Ploss of it: Drawing, painting, mini
this is a homage to our very own commissar ploss. for this you are to create a pandoran crab commissar ala ploss. yes our very own commissar ploss is going to be imortalized in our contest here. it can be a drawing, digital artwork, painting, or mini. the drawings/painting/digital art needs to be a action shot of the good commissar leading a group of pandoran crabs against the enemies of the emperor or in a good old game of Grapnel ball.

Primer 2: Into the abyss do we go: drawing, painting, landscape
this is a image where a platoon or squad of pandoran crabs decend into a abyssal sink hole or pit via their grapnels, vehicles and all. it's a fairly simple shot, no real action here. landscapers can build the actual sinkhole and decorate it as if it had just been raided by the crabs, even put a few crabs still hanging there.

Primer 3: NOT THAT GUN! PLEASE COMMISSAR NO!: drawing, painting, mini
this should be a image of a commissar sentencing a guardsmen to carry the punt gun as a punishment. remember, for the crabs exicution is a absolute last resort. instead they find other ways to punish people, like lugging around the punt gun. it should be a shot of a commissar not only sentencing the guardsmen but the guardsmen on his hands and knees begging the commissar to just shoot him instead.

Primer 4: FOUR!: Drawing, painting
this should be a shot where something got too close to a few guardsmen armed with punt guns and found out the hard way why they are called PUNT guns. it's a fairly simple peace, that doesn't exactly involve golf.

Primer 5: by the emperor i hope it doesnt fall : Drawing, painting, digital art, mini scene
in this a example of a large tank (heavy tank, light tank, superheavy, your choice on tank) is clinging to the ceiling using the magtreds while a group of guardsmen (your choice on regiment) stand under it flaberghasted that it's actualy "hanging" from the ceiling like that.

Primer 6: there is always up: digital art, painting, drawing, mini scene
this image should be essentially a line march where the pandorans are transitioning from walking on the ground, to up a metal wall with their mag boots. it's not just the troops who are in line and beginning to walk up walls, it's also their transports and walkers. so how you decide to do this is up to you.

Primer 7: across the shattered plains i look: digital art, painting, drawing, landscape
this should be a image of a group of white cap pandoran crabs getting ready to board the main transport shuttle up to the fleet on their homeworld of pandora. the shattered landscape visible in the distance as "islands" and "former continents" float by.

Primer 8: the empire needs YOU!: landscape painting, drawing, mini
this should show a group of pandoran civilians looking up at a recruitment poster or video in awe. the recruitment poster itself should try to inspire people to join the crabs

Primer 9: Damn you merphy, damn you to the foul depths of the warp: painting, drawing, landscape
the pandorans are fighting for their life on the side of a space hulk out in the middle of space attempting to reach an airlock to get inside so they dont have to cut their way in. unfortunately right as they reach it a wave of warp energy rushes over the ship's hull and summons foul creations of the warp to combat the crabs and thwart their efforts.

Primer 10: mine's bigger: painting, drawing, mini
a cocky and possibly soon to be executed crab is showing his punt gun to a marine to compare weapons. the guardsmen's weapon is for once... bigger

Primer 11: And it's GOOD!: painting, drawing, mini, landscape, digital art.
a depiction of two teams of pandoran crabs in a mandatory game of Grapnel ball. think of a mixture between football(rugby), spiderman, and quiddich.

Primer 12: Our enemies, Pandora cracks asunder: Short story, written tale (CP)
Depict a story of the Pandoran Crab's greatest victory. Characters should be developed and it should fit the outline that Das Omen has provided in the link at the top of the page.

Primer 13: Our Crab is cooked...: Short Story, written tale (CP)
Depict one of the Pandoran Crab's worst losses, or some tale of how they were routed etc. As above, characters should be developed, and the story should fit the structure that Das Omen has linked to above.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender. for it is better to burn out than fade away.

Last edited by Commissar Ploss; 02-19-12 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-12, 04:40 AM
Feed

This sounds good.

Category 1 and 3 draw my attention. Hmmm.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-12, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

thanks serpion. now i know there arent many options now. but i'm having the good commissar come up with two options and we arent done yet. this post will be dedicated hence forth to all confirmed entrants. if you would like to enter please post in this format

================================================== ======
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
Departmento Munitorum Codex Entry (insert name here)

Primer: please insert what primer you are taking
Subcatagory: after the title you will see a subcatagory, such as drawing, painting, mini, ect. please insert that here, or at least the type you're doing.

Yes the bits with the equals sign and the plusses are required. as is the massive bold text. that is to catch my attention so i can see your entry and what you're taking. all entries MUST follow this for entering the contest so we can get a acurate count of how many people are entered and keep track of them.

Entries:

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 06:25 PM
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect

Commissar Ploss's Flag is: USA

2 additional primers added. Written work entries.

CP

The Founding Fields

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-12, 09:20 AM

juddski's Flag is: Wales

primer1 (if i only knew what grappnell ball was?)
and i'll have a go at eight

i don't exspect this to be the finished suite ,just my take on it ?
each player has his personal camera assigned to him so no body misses the action

Last edited by juddski; 02-20-12 at 09:49 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-12, 10:03 AM

Departmento Munitorum Codex Entry Studio Colrouphobia

Primer 9: Damn you merphy, damn you to the foul depths of the warp

"the pandorans are fighting for their life on the side of a space hulk out in the middle of space attempting to reach an airlock to get inside so they dont have to cut their way in. unfortunately right as they reach it a wave of warp energy rushes over the ship's hull and summons foul creations of the warp to combat the crabs and thwart their efforts."

Subcatagory:Illustration

Will do my best to complete this entry, though a small caveat for the fact that I am extremely busy with work.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-12, 11:23 AM

brain storming just trying to get some idea of what you want?

Last edited by juddski; 02-25-12 at 04:17 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-12, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

grapnel ball is esentialy a sport where players are not exactaly restricted by the ground so much. the goal is to get the ball through your enemy's ring. raised platforms over a pit of water, gell, or other non lethal chemical (save for prision camps where it's either bottomless pit or some other form of you're going to die).

the play field is esentialy the size of a football field with the enviorment "shattered" just like their home world. sections of the field are raised and large pillars stick up from the ground or hang from an overhead ceiling.

the rules are thus:
play to 100 points
One point for knocking an enemy player through the ring
ten points for getting a ball through the ring.
minus one point for touching the ground, this is not constant so rolling, jumping, or what have you does not count if you actualy have to land use one of the platforms.
30 points for getting the ball through the ring at half field.

players may not intentionaly disengage the oposing team's grapnel.
players may not use their grapnel on other players save for preventing death.
killing an oposing team member disqualafies you from the match
Sudden Death the ground is removed from the field.

each team requires at any time 12 players to be on the field
Teams are allowed three subsects of teams
Offence, Defence, and Omni

Defence players may only play defencive rolls
Offence players may only be attackers
Omni players may take any roll, including the seeker roll

Defence players are tasked with defending the ring from enemy attack.
Offence players are tasked with engaging the enemy team seeker and hampering the efforts of the enemy team's defence
Omni players may take any roll, their goal is to act as needed.

Seekers are the only ones who are permitted to score points for the team with the ball.

the ball may not be tampered with

preformance upgrades to the grapnel are accacptable, however all upgrades exceeding sporting restrictive standards must be removed prior to game.

Grapnel ball may be called to hold two diffrent types of matches. Take and Hold (a military favorite) and Seeker Showdown (a civilian favorite)

Take and Hold: the objective is to capture 4 points across the field. points are awarded every 5 seconds with a winning score of 1000. each capture point must be tagged by the seeker's grapnel for 30 seconds to be captured, however any member of the team may uncapture a point by using their grapnel to tag the capture point's tag post. the point rings in this are deactivated.

Seeker Showdown: this is standard rules for grapnel ball. two teams, two seekers as well as offence, defence, and omni.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-12, 04:20 PM

ok ,thanks for the descrption ,i've got a good idea now except ..
the grapnells ?
i'm thinking cable with hook type thingys

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-12, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

the insperation actualy came from link's hookshot or claw shot for some of the design eliments when i was designing them as concept items.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Sketches and Warhammer 40k Art

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode